Who should our next HC be?

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I hadn't thought about Mendenhall during this process, but I actually think he could be a solid hire.  He had very good years at BYU in the Mountain West, and had good years at Virginia, after they had 4 straight losing seasons under their previous coach.  Judging by his 2020 and 2021 record, Mendenhall wasn't able to maintain the good seasons during/after COVID.

Yeah, calling it awful was probably a little harsh. I’ll say underwhelming instead…. I’d also have some concern about hiring a coach that needed to step away from the Virginia job. Nebraska is a whole new level of fish bowl compared UVA.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Yeah, calling it awful was probably a little harsh. I’ll say underwhelming instead…. I’d also have some concern about hiring a coach that needed to step away from the Virginia job. Nebraska is a whole new level of fish bowl compared UVA.

I agree it would be a bit out of left field, and I have no idea why he stepped down from Virginia after last year (other than lack of success).  Other than Rhule, I haven't tried to get too excited or caught up in one name or the other during this "search", so I will just try to wait until the guy is named and go from there.

13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I hadn't thought about Mendenhall during this process, but I actually think he could be a solid hire.  He had very good years at BYU in the Mountain West, and had good years at Virginia, after they had 4 straight losing seasons under their previous coach.  Judging by his 2020 and 2021 record, Mendenhall wasn't able to maintain the good seasons during/after COVID.

He also burnt out like shuttle remanents which is why he left UVA. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Thanks for more details on why he left UVa.

Didn't quite get the chance to attach this article in my original post.  He's an interesting cat but my big fear is when a guy leaves a job like UVA which by all means is a pretty cushy job by P5 standards (very manageable expectations) then what happens when he gets dropped into the cauldron here?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34248930/how-stepping-away-football-bringing-bronco-mendenhall-closer-game

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Didn't quite get the chance to attach this article in my original post.  He's an interesting cat but my big fear is when a guy leaves a job like UVA which by all means is a pretty cushy job by P5 standards (very manageable expectations) then what happens when he gets dropped into the cauldron here?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34248930/how-stepping-away-football-bringing-bronco-mendenhall-closer-game

And you bring up fair concerns/fears.  Thanks for that article.  I would keep an open mind on Mendenhall, but I also think I would prefer Kleiman or Leipold, based on their experiences in the Big Ten area of the country.

9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

And you bring up fair concerns/fears.  Thanks for that article.  I would keep an open mind on Mendenhall, but I also think I would prefer Kleiman or Leipold, based on their experiences in the Big Ten area of the country.

Hiring any of those three would be a MASSIVE disappointment to the majority of our fan base.

• Plus1 3