Who should our next HC be?

4 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Another issue with preference of head coaches is we don't know what staff they would assemble.

And most head coaches are loyal to the assistants who have helped them achieve the success they have thus far.

Could Fickell assemble a quality staff at Nebraska?  Could Deboer?

I can see your point with Fickell. With Deboer, he has been to 3 schools and did amazing things each time.  I have full trust in his ability to get the job done his way.  

• Fire 1
8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK, please explain all the colors. 

Yellow on the result column is one score loss and green is a win. Yellow on the final record column is for bowl team and green is ranked in the final AP poll. 

5 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Is this an assessment of the talent on their roster?  I do recall looking back and seeing Baylor's team recruiting rankings were consistently in the 30 to 40 range.  If that is true, it appears that Leipold may be getting more out of his talent than Rhule did.  

Yeah that number is from 247 just using the players they had on the roster based on original recruiting ranking. It wont take into account injuries but should remove players who transferred out and add ones that transferred in. Obviously there was more going on at Baylor that was an issue and it doesnt tell the story of how experienced the players were but maybe the best we have to try to quantify talent. 

• Haha 1

Regarding Fickell, I really just don't see him leaving Cincy for 3 reasons:

1.  He has indicated in the past that his family wants to stay in the state of Ohio

2.  He just got a contract extension earlier this year

3.  He has already made the CFP in 2021 at Cincy, and with Cincy moving to the Big 12, he will continue to have a better chance of making the CFP there than in the BIG.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/33290702/cincinnati-football-coach-luke-fickell-agrees-new-5-million-per-year-deal-2028-source-says

• Fire 1
5 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I appreciate the enthusiasm, but Kiffin is not our guy. He is too fickle he hasn't been in any program longer than three years, and he seems to leave a bad taste everywhere he has been. Let's say your dream comes true and it is Kiffin. A year from now Saban retires, 99.9% chance Kiffin bolts if offered the Bama job, and we're back on this bus all over again and behind the 8-ball with an end of the season vacancy. What's more- every talented player Kiffin wants off our squad will be gone, who wouldn't follow their head coach to Bama? That would essentially be a death sentence for our program. 

That's a lot of what-if's and assumptions you've offered - I mean, if he's gets the support he needs here, the money he wants, and things slowly start trending the right way - maybe he stays. Urban is my #1 pick anyway, but yes, Kiffin is #2.

10 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I can see your point with Fickell. With Deboer, he has been to 3 schools and did amazing things each time.  I have full trust in his ability to get the job done his way.  

The B1G has some of the elite assistant coaches in the country.

I'm not confident either Fickell or Deboer has a rolodex to get it done at Nebraska.

5 hours ago, Red Five said:

I don't know how much (at all???) you can believe former DB Bryan Wilson, but he is saying that Trev has been putting out lowball offers ($4M-$6M) and it has turned off a lot of candidates.  Trev has since upped an offer to Rhule that is close to $8M.

This also jives with Mav saying about Trev is being cheap with assistants Rhule was asking for.

Here is the twitter thread.

Wouldn't surprise me at all, and I've said it before so I say it again - TA was the wrong hire as AD.

3 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Regarding Fickell, I really just don't see him leaving Cincy for 3 reasons:

1.  He has indicated in the past that his family wants to stay in the state of Ohio

2.  He just got a contract extension earlier this year

3.  He has already made the CFP in 2021 at Cincy, and with Cincy moving to the Big 12, he will continue to have a better chance of making the CFP there than in the BIG.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/33290702/cincinnati-football-coach-luke-fickell-agrees-new-5-million-per-year-deal-2028-source-says

Disagree, he almost took the Michigan St job, but he and his family decided against joining the toxic culture that was present from that schools scandal. He didn't listen to  big time jobs though because Cincinnati was in the playoff and he didn't want to abandon that. Kirk Herbstreit said it was all about the timing which led to that decision. He may choose to stay in Cincinnati, but he has almost left a few times. 

24 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Said freshman quarterback Adrian Martinez: "I want them to be known, that they laid the foundation for what we're about to become."

Frost said he couldn't help but be impressed by Stoltenberg's speech to the team following Saturday's win over Illinois that challenged NU to finish the season strong with wins over Michigan State and Iowa. It's a good sign, the coach added, when the seniors are jealous of the younger players who get to stay in the program whose culture they helped create.

"Obviously we still have some work to do this season, but I know this thing's going up," Stoltenberg said. "I'm going to be so proud of these guys when it's a year or two from now and they're winning tons of games and having a lot of success here."

-November 13th, 2018

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

Disagree, he almost took the Michigan St job, but he and his family decided against joining the toxic culture that was present from that schools scandal. He didn't listen to  big time jobs though because Cincinnati was in the playoff and he didn't want to abandon that. Kirk Herbstreit said it was all about the timing which led to that decision. He may choose to stay in Cincinnati, but he has almost left a few times. 

Apparently Notre Dame was after him when Brian Kelly announced he was leaving and Fickell shot that down.  This was before he got the extension at Cincy.  I am not saying its 100% impossible and I would happily welcome Fickell, but it just seems improbable.  I would love to be wrong!

• Oh Yeah! 1