Who should our next HC be?

Urban Meyer

Besides his terrible NFL stint the dude has won everywhere he's been and there's no questioning that. I'm willing to bet he'd consider it cause what better way to restablish yourself as one of the best coaches ever in college football but to come in and save a blue blood program like Nebraska? I just don't see him riding off into the sunset as a coach ending it the way it ended in Jacksonville. He's won in the SEC and the B1G so he knows what it takes. Slimeball yes, huge fan no, but we need wins and it's what it is. 

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, C-4 said:

Nebraska football doesn't exist after the Frost era. This was it. (And in hindsight, it isn't existed outside of pain for ten years.)

Whoever we hire, it doesn't matter. We have a clear and undeniably low ceiling.

There's a good chance you're right. But Nebraska still has a lot of $. There is a limit to how far that can stretch, though. They have to do something decent in the next 5 years.

57 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Urban Meyer

Besides his terrible NFL stint the dude has won everywhere he's been and there's no questioning that. I'm willing to bet he'd consider it cause what better way to restablish yourself as one of the best coaches ever in college football but to come in and save a blue blood program like Nebraska? I just don't see him riding off into the sunset as a coach ending it the way it ended in Jacksonville. He's won in the SEC and the B1G so he knows what it takes. Slimeball yes, huge fan no, but we need wins and it's what it is. 

My one concern reguarding Meyer is recruiting. Which is insane to say I know. Meyers system requires elite athletes. At Florida and Ohio State he was in centrally located in fertile recruiting grounds.

He will recruit no doubt, but will he be able to pull enough of them?  A kid from Ohio,Texas,Bama, Florida, can stay home play for elite coach/program/facilities, and have parents make it to most games. 

Or move all the way out to Lincoln just to play for Urban who’s reputation has taken a hit. 

• Fire 1
7 minutes ago, Rk_kerk said:

My one concern reguarding Meyer is recruiting. Which is insane to say I know. Meyers system requires elite athletes. At Florida and Ohio State he was in centrally located in fertile recruiting grounds.

He will recruit no doubt, but will he be able to pull enough of them?  A kid from Ohio,Texas,Bama, Florida, can stay home play for elite coach/program/facilities, and have parents make it to most games. 

Or move all the way out to Lincoln just to play for Urban who’s reputation has taken a hit. 

I say this because according to Rivals last time we took a 5* recruit was 2008 and he was from Nebraska. 

I think it’s time to take a page from Iowa and Wisconsin. Find a coach who forms an identity and culture. Recruit to your strengths and become the best developmental program in the nation. 

We will get better recruits than Iowa and Wisconsin, if we can beat them in development then we can consistently win the West. Consistently compete for Big 10 title and great bowl every year. 

15 minutes ago, Rk_kerk said:

Meyer would not have a problem recruiting here. He's a coach who elite players would be willing to come to Lincoln to play for.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2

7 hours ago, lo country said:

I read somewhere that Bama was 80-85 the years preceding Saban.  It can be done.  We just need to get that lightening in a bottle.  Winning brings winning.  And we haven't done that in years.  I hope in my lifetime I can see NU like a grew up with....Maybe I am just in denial.

Bama was 74-61 in the time between Stallings and Saban.  They haven't had back to back sub 500 seasons since 1957-58.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, URSS said:

Hire the North Dakota State head coach or similar lower division successful coach.

I wouldn't be opposed to going that route since I really question if we will ever be able to hire a top D1-A coach now that we have pretty much turned into a bottom feeder. Lots of more attractive destinations with huge recruiting advantages for a top coach that wants to move.