Who should our next HC be?

44 minutes ago, Skerygood said:

I would be. Early signing period is just around the corner also. Hope I'm proven wrong but several articles out there saying he turned NE down.

Getting on TV helps build your brand, which helps you recruit. Recruiting is priority #1, 2, and 3 as soon as he takes the job due to the early signing period in just 3 weeks or so. 

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Fru said:

So Jim Grobe was the interim after Briles got axed, and went 7-6. 

Did Baylor have any sanctions that Rhule had to deal with? Scholarship limits? Bowl bans? TV bans? As far as I can find Baylor got a slap on the wrist for ticky tack recruiting violations that didn’t take effect until after Rhule was gone. Sure it couldn’t have been easy to take on the Baylor gig at the time, but Briles, Grobe and Aranda have all had winning seasons at Baylor. Is winning there really the Herculean feat we’ve made it out to be? 

He hasn’t beat a ranked team since a 2016 game against Navy. I hope he‘s able to put a staff together, because if he’s the guy… I’m not seeing it. 

Fickell is my first choice, so I am not on the Rhule bandwagon, but way too much emphasis out on the ranked team stuff…. Just like TO could not win the big one and dumb people wanted him fired. Rhule hasn’t had a ton of opportunity to beat ranked teams and the ones while at Temple don’t count bc they were probably huge underdogs… at Baylor, he had a few and played very competitive games against better opponents.. too 10….not like he was losing to some teams ranked low…plus he won the games you are supposed too.  We have not done that for years

• Fire 1
33 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

What is your malfunction, it’s not hard. His contract with Carolina was for 10mil/year for x number of years.  They fired him 4 years early. So. He gets 10mil for 4 years from them.  

like many contracts, they include a clause that if he seeks other employment in those 4 years, the panthers have to pay him that much less. 

so. If he signs with NU for 5mil/yr then Carolina pays the 10 they owe him, LESS the 5mil NU pays him for a net of 5mil/year owed by Carolina 

Now do the math for 70 million.  And call me Murphy.

See the source image

#robocop from Cyberpunk Aesthetic

6 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

We keep talking about the dumpster fire and long rebuild the next coach will inherit.

But isn't Nebraska literally and obviously close? As in that same MAC level talent taking ranked teams to the wire last season? And couldn't merely a couple key players or plays have turned Northwestern, Georgia Southern, Purdue, Minnesota, and Wisconsin into wins, putting the Huskers at 8-3 heading into Iowa and a bowl game?

Imagine the difference just marginally better offensive linemen would make. Or a slightly more cohesive offensive scheme. Or the kind of fourth quarter confidence that comes directly from coaching. It is literally the difference between 3-9 and 8-4 and it actually can happen overnight. Especially with a smart coaching staff and a lively portal. You know the secret to a winning culture? It's winning. 

Great post.

The right coach can take a losing program, and have a quick turnaround.

Head coach of Arkansas Lou Holtz decided to suspend 3 players, (2 starters) before the 1977 Orange
Bowl against #2 Oklahoma,  players wanted to boycott playing . Gov.
Bill Clinton pleaded with Holtz to reconsider. He didn’t. Arkansas won as a large dog.

No. Carolina St. in 1971  went 3-8
1972 first year coach Holtz coached them to 8-3-1, took them to and won Peach Bowl vs. West Virginia

Arkansas in 1977  went 5-5-1
1978  first year coach Holtz went to 10-1, took them to and won Orange Bowl vs. #2 Oklahoma

Minnesota in 1983 went 1-10
1984  first year coach Holtz went 4-7, in second year, 1985, went 7-5 and won Independence Bowl

Notre Dame in 1985 went 5-6
1986 first year coach Holtz went 5-6, in second year 1987 went 8-4, going to Cotton Bowl

South Carolina in 1998 went 1-10
1999 first year coach Holtz went 0-11, second year 2000, went 8-4 going to Outback
    Bowl, beating Ohio St.

• Plus1 2
55 minutes ago, Skerygood said:

Its not gonna be Rhule. I wish it were true but I just wouldnt be making tv appearances in nfl studios 4-5 days before you take over a program. You study film of your opponents and recruits. Learn the 500 mile radius. Get your staff together because yours is still at Carolina. Not sell yourself on nfl network and talk about past mistakes and what ya could've done differently. Who's next on the board?

Are you serious???? That would be the best recruiting tool he could have right now!!! I think he could probably afford the 20 minute interview to promote himself and use the other 23 hours and 40 min during the day to work on the stuff you mentioned. Plus, he has probably done his homework prior to accepting. He may not be the man, but that will based on ZERO points you made.

• TBH 1
8 minutes ago, HANC said:

Fickell is my first choice, so I am not on the Rhule bandwagon, but way too much emphasis out on the ranked team stuff…. Just like TO could not win the big one and dumb people wanted him fired. Rhule hasn’t had a ton of opportunity to beat ranked teams and the ones while at Temple don’t count bc they were probably huge underdogs… at Baylor, he had a few and played very competitive games against better opponents.. too 10….not like he was losing to some teams ranked low…plus he won the games you are supposed too.  We have not done that for years

Fickell is my first pick too. I’d argue the ranked team stuff is appropriately emphasized. Dude is wanting top dollar, and his best win is a 2016 win against 19th ranked Navy. 

I also have to question him for hiring Joe Brady as his OC at Carolina. Brady had one of the thinnest resumes ever and his biggest claim to fame was a one year stint as a passing game coordinator for a team that had a record number of draft picks. Really Matt? That’s the guy you think is ready to be an NFL OC? My mother in law could have been the passing game coordinator for LSU that year and had similar results. 

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, admo said:

Now do the math for 70 million.

I think you're trolling, but I like math so...

Carolina is on the hook for $10 miilion/year.

If Nebraska offers Rhule $70 million, it will depend on how much they're paying per year. If Nebraska offers $10M/year for 7 years, then Nebraska pays $10M and Carolina pays nothing. If Nebraska offers $7M/year for 10 years, then Nebraska pays $7M/year for 10 years and Carolina pays $3M/year for 4 years.

19 minutes ago, Fru said:

So Jim Grobe was the interim after Briles got axed, and went 7-6. 

Did Baylor have any sanctions that Rhule had to deal with? Scholarship limits? Bowl bans? TV bans? As far as I can find Baylor got a slap on the wrist for ticky tack recruiting violations that didn’t take effect until after Rhule was gone. Sure it couldn’t have been easy to take on the Baylor gig at the time, but Briles, Grobe and Aranda have all had winning seasons at Baylor. Is winning there really the Herculean feat we’ve made it out to be? 

He hasn’t beat a ranked team since a 2016 game against Navy. I hope he‘s able to put a staff together, because if he’s the guy… I’m not seeing it. 

Briles: 65-37

Grobe: 7-6

Rhule: 19-20 

Aranda: 20-13

• Plus1 1

Heard from a friend who knows multiple boosters that Rhule has signed a 5 year, $9M contract. Did not specify if the money was per year or total. I’m guessing that it is per year. Said Collins will be hired as an assistant. Do not shoot the messenger.

This friend is a little crazy with political conspiracies tho, so be aware.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Fru said:

Fickell is my first pick too. I’d argue the ranked team stuff is appropriately emphasized. Dude is wanting top dollar, and his best win is a 2016 win against 19th ranked Navy. 

I also have to question him for hiring Joe Brady as his OC at Carolina. Brady had one of the thinnest resumes ever and his biggest claim to fame was a one year stint as a passing game coordinator for a team that had a record number of draft picks. Really Matt? That’s the guy you think is ready to be an NFL OC? My mother in law could have been the passing game coordinator for LSU that year and had similar results. 

I don’t know your mother in law, but I will take your word . Yes, that offense was loaded, so I agree with your argument 

• Haha 1