Who should our next HC be?

20 minutes ago, AlaSker said:

Campbell originally didn't move the needle for me either.

The only real defense I have of him, for the 1-6 vs Iowa record, is that this is probably the best 10 year stretch Iowa has ever had.

I know we want to be better than Iowa and I despise them as much as the next fan. They have won at a consistently high level since 2013. Almost as good and as consistently as Pelini did with Nebraska, Iowa had more bounce (12 win season/ 7 win season) but less blowouts.

Point being- Iowa was no slouch- This isn't Michigan beating Ohio State- this was much more like Oregon State beating Oregon.

Yes Iowa has had a really solid 10 year run, but they’ve also been very beatable.

Scott produced the worst teams Neb has had since the moon landing, and they still took Iowa down to the wire every year. If it takes 7 tries and a historically bad Iowa offense for Campbell to steal a 3 point win, that tells me pretty much all I need to know. 

• Thanks 1

I don't think it's a coincidence that when Trev was describing attributes he admired, it mirrored Campbell. MC would bring vision, leadership, development. Both Trev and MC take their faith very seriously too, not that it matters, but it does speak too likemindedness. All this to say I think TA makes a hard push for MC, no idea if he lands him or not.

Oh and a pet peeve of mine is MC/Mike Riley comparison. It's just lazy. Saban, Franklin, Harbaugh were all .600 coaches at places with less resources too...

• Plus1 4
5 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I wonder if it has to be Thanksgiving.  Seems that would still be too close to the early signing day.   If it is someone not coaching now, (one of those long shot big names), then it could be announced sooner.  Even if it is an existing coach, like Campbell, he may want to get on the recruiting trail to help his tenure at NU to get off on the right track.  He becomes loyal to NU and ISU will have to fill the void behind him. 

Highly unlikely that a guy who is coaching his team this season is going to leave before the end of the season.

• Plus1 2

If I knew where/how to do it, I'd go put $100 on Brian Kelly being our next head coach. I think the writing is on the wall and he's already looking for a way out of LSU. He won't have to do a terrible fake southern accent here, and the culture here is much more like the culture at ND than LSU. It'd be a longshot bet, but I think that's where we end up. 

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I don't think it's a coincidence that when Trev was describing attributes he admired, it mirrored Campbell. MC would bring vision, leadership, development. Both Trev and MC take their faith very seriously too, not that it matters, but it does speak too likemindedness. All this to say I think TA makes a hard push for MC, no idea if he lands him or not.

Oh and a pet peeve of mine is MC/Mike Riley comparison. It's just lazy. Saban, Franklin, Harbaugh were all .600 coaches at places with less resources too...

Admittedly I don't know a whole lot about Campbell but from the little I've seen it seems that he would be a very similar personality to Alberts. Even though his teams have been GOD awful, I believe Hoiberg fits well Alberts which is probably why he got another year after a historically bad season. 

Thoughts on Bryan Harsin? I think you can throw out his time at Auburn in evaluating him since his boosters are waging a war against him. 

45 y/o, 84-31 as a HC, ran the offense under Chris Petersen at Boise and probably wayward soon. Not an amazing recruiter but you can hire those. Excellent gameday coach and program builder.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I’ll take Mark Stoops over Matt Campbell.

Both have similar attributes IMO.

Proven developers and good cultures.

Campbells recruiting scares me. Stoops recruits at a high level and a lot of it in the BIG footprint. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

If I knew where/how to do it, I'd go put $100 on Brian Kelly being our next head coach. I think the writing is on the wall and he's already looking for a way out of LSU. He won't have to do a terrible fake southern accent here, and the culture here is much more like the culture at ND than LSU. It'd be a longshot bet, but I think that's where we end up. 

I'll take your bet. If we hire BK I'll need to spend the $100 to get rid of the nausea

• Haha 1

Just now, TonkaSker said:

I'll take your bet. If we hire BK I'll need to spend the $100 to get rid of the nausea

I get it. But the dude seems like the only realistic opportunity for a coach that is 1) a program builder and 2) Has had major success at NCAA Div 1 level in the last 10 years. - Before he got to ND they were basically where we are now. He had them in the National Champ game and several playoffs. He would probably be the only hire that would make me think we have a better than 50/50 chance of being a better team next year than we are now. 

2 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Kalen Deboer and Billy Napier would also have been options last season.

Napier was most likely going to stay in the south, so his fit at Florida is natural.  Deboer has ties to the Midwest, so he could have been a better fit at NU and the Big Ten. 

However, no matter what the coaching searches were like last year, the biggest obstacle was having the fan base united to fire Frost in the first place.  There was still a big divide on fans who wanted Frost to be kept around for a 5th season.

• Plus1 1
Just now, TonkaSker said:

@ColoradoHusk  @HuskerNation1

DeBoer is still an option IMO. Personally I think he's a great one. A bit of a slim resume and the contract probably makes it tough but I really like him as a coach and as a fit for Nebraska. I think he would be coaching right now if we'd pulled the trigger at the end of last year.

I think DeBoer's status at Washington will depend on whether UW can work out an invite into the Big Ten.  If he gets an idea that it's going to happen, then he might as well stay at UW, as they will be in the Big Ten in a couple years.