Who should our next HC be?

I think Omaha.com hit their review of Campbell on the head. They have a section on "why he'd be a hit" but I'm just including the miss part for now.

Why he’d be a miss: Winning nine games and playing for a conference title is impressive at a school with little historical football success. But Mike Riley arrived from Oregon State to similar logic. Campbell’s resume as a head coach includes six seasons of eight or nine wins — including his share of upsets — but no conference championships and one major bowl. At ISU, he was 0-5-1 against Iowa before breaking through this year. Would Nebraska be satisfied with a similar standard?

So, I don't think the apprehension towards Campbell has anything to do with 'hate' or not thinking he's a good coach. It's more or less about what if he comes here and produces near identical results to what he's done at ISU. How long will that be good enough? Sure he will have access to better talent, but that was the same argument made for Riley, and we saw how that story unfolded.

To be clear, I don't think Campbell and Riley should be intimately compared to one another, but it is a fair set of questions/circumstances to ponder. Does he have the abilities and skills to be truly elite? That's what Nebraska needs IMO. Nebraska needs an elite coach if it wants to have any hopes of sniffing conference or even national titles again.

• Fire 1

17 minutes ago, Enhance said:

To be clear, I don't think Campbell and Riley should be intimately compared to one another, but it is a fair set of questions/circumstances to ponder.

I feel similarly.

I'm curious of other comparisons we can find of coaches who maximized their potential at a school with less resources and then went on to have great success at a school with more?

Saban was similar at Michigan State before LSU. Les Miles was also similar at Oklahoma State before LSU. Curious about some more recent examples if they're out there.

Did some light reading up on Leipold this evening and I am seriously impressed on a deeper dive. Philosophies are fantastic, as are reviews from his time rebuilding Buffalo. Guy pretty much rebuilt high school football in upstate New York. Reminds me a ton of Bo Ryan. 

Couple fun facts: 

- 6 D3 National Titles

- At one point had a 100-6 record (!!!)

- Fastest coach in NCAA history to 100 wins.

This guy is serious and will turn Kansas into something respectable faster than anyone thought possible. I’d be pretty happy with the hire.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

If there's one guy, other than Nick Saban, who I know for certain is not coming here, it's Luke Fickell. Might as well get that thought out of your mind now and save yourself the disappointment later.

I don't think anyone hates him. He's a good, not great, coach and he's a safe hire. I think many just feel that we can do better. 

What about him isn't great, though? 

He routinely beats bigger schools, builds a culture of success, and almost was the USC coach. He's probably one of the 10 best coaches in the country. 

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

What about him isn't great, though? 

He routinely beats bigger schools, builds a culture of success, and almost was the USC coach. He's probably one of the 10 best coaches in the country. 

His record in the Big 12 is 44-34. He’s defeated some good teams but also has also lost to some bad ones. Also 1-6 all-time vs. Iowa. That’s not “great” or “10 best” in my opinion. 

• Fire 1

59 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I think Omaha.com hit their review of Campbell on the head. They have a section on "why he'd be a hit" but I'm just including the miss part for now.

So, I don't think the apprehension towards Campbell has anything to do with 'hate' or not thinking he's a good coach. It's more or less about what if he comes here and produces near identical results to what he's done at ISU. How long will that be good enough? Sure he will have access to better talent, but that was the same argument made for Riley, and we saw how that story unfolded.

To be clear, I don't think Campbell and Riley should be intimately compared to one another, but it is a fair set of questions/circumstances to ponder. Does he have the abilities and skills to be truly elite? That's what Nebraska needs IMO. Nebraska needs an elite coach if it wants to have any hopes of sniffing conference or even national titles again.

I have reservations on Campbell as well. I think there's a lot of relevance to your perspective. 

2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

His record in the Big 12 is 44-34. He’s defeated some good teams but also has also lost to some bad ones. Also 1-6 all-time vs. Iowa. That’s not “great” or “10 best” in my opinion. 

Cause for pause. 

44 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

I feel similarly.

I'm curious of other comparisons we can find of coaches who maximized their potential at a school with less resources and then went on to have great success at a school with more?

Saban was similar at Michigan State before LSU. Les Miles was also similar at Oklahoma State before LSU. Curious about some more recent examples if they're out there.

Both of the guys you mentioned went to LSU where it is extremely easy to locate talent. Nebraska doesn’t have that luxury. You really think Campbell can lure elite recruits to Lincoln? I don’t. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
23 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

the only elite coach we have a shot at is Urban Meyer and it’s highly doubtful that Trev won’t even reach out to him because he doesn’t have Nebraska values 

I wouldn't blame him! You have other more appealing options that I prefer over Meyer. 

49 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Both of the guys you mentioned went to LSU where it is extremely easy to locate talent. Nebraska doesn’t have that luxury. You really think Campbell can lure elite recruits to Lincoln? I don’t. 

I have no idea. But I'm also not thinking that we can go straight from the gutter to the moon.

If he can put together top 20 classes to start with, which I think he absolutely could and would, then start winning a properly proportionate amount of games with better development, discipline and psyche, that establishes a new base camp/foundation, and from there? Yeah, he could probably build on it and start getting top 15 and top 10 classes. 

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, M.A. said:

I wouldn't blame him! You have other more appealing options that I prefer over Meyer. 

There is nothing more appealing then a 3 time national championship winner. Nobody period. Watch all you guys in favor for the border coaches will be let down when it takes another 3 or 4 more years to win and then we have one good year and then not so great year. Nebraska won't have sustainable success and then we will have marginal expectations that greatness isn't needed 8 wins is fine. Imho the border coaches won't have sustainable success bc like scarlet pimpernel said do you think they can get elite recruits here? I don't either they might get area recruits that are highly ranked but Nebraska will always need kids from all over the country to help them succeed. Rarely do we recruit Cali or Florida or even Texas anymore. They is talent all over the country but schools can only sign so many kids for their local schools in those big states. Nebraska needs to do better and be better in order to have sustainable success. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

There is nothing more appealing then a 3 time national championship winner. Nobody period. Watch all you guys in favor for the border coaches will be let down when it takes another 3 or 4 more years to win and then we have one good year and then not so great year. Nebraska won't have sustainable success and then we will have marginal expectations that greatness isn't needed 8 wins is fine. Imho the border coaches won't have sustainable success bc like scarlet pimpernel said do you think they can get elite recruits here? I don't either they might get area recruits that are highly ranked but Nebraska will always need kids from all over the country to help them succeed. Rarely do we recruit Cali or Florida or even Texas anymore. They is talent all over the country but schools can only sign so many kids for their local schools in those big states. Nebraska needs to do better and be better in order to have sustainable success. 

While the boarder coaches may consistently get us to 7-8 wins, I have a hard time seeing them making us a regular contenders. Of course beggars can’t be choosers as they say—I’d love to see 8 wins again. But maybe I’m putting the cart before the horse. We need the right coach and culture for where we are now. Maybe the boarder coaches aren’t the splashy/sexy/big  news exciting hire- perhaps they are the turtle and not the hare and they just get the job done and get us over the finish line. IDK. I go back and forth between Meyer(the hare) and the boarder guys + Mark Stoops. Meyer is probably the only elite coach out there at this point.  So if Meyer is unrealistic and we take him off the board, then the boarder guys, Stoops, Gundy would be my next level. I think we need good P5 experience before we look at G5 or DC/OC options

12 hours ago, Hans Gruber said:

Maybe it's a Boise State situation. Dirk Koetter and Dan Hawkins seemed great, then were mediocre at best at Arizona State and Colorado because Chris Petersen was actually the straw that stirred the drink behind the scenes. Maybe that's Shawn Clark.

Full disclosure, I couldn't name App State's coach when I work up this morning. So I'm not saying the two examples are the same.

I think there are bigger differences between G5 and P5 that people discount.  At G5 you have less superstar 4/5* egos that need to be fed and managed and it has to be easier to create a team first culture.  You get outtalented sometimes but you can also get teams like Boise and App State playing together and good team football.  That is much more difficult to create at a place like Nebraska, without having an established culture of winning first.  I would suspect a lot of coaching jumps from G5 to P5 fail for similar reasons and they aren't really talked about it seems. 

9 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

I feel similarly.

Matt Rhule