Who should our next HC be?

21 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Another thing I hear against Urban Meyer is he is a short term solution. So if he were to bring a championship or even close to won 2-4 years and he bails out then that's bad for Nebraska i disagree. I look at the fact if he were to do that it would show the next coach after him the formula to succeed plus Nebraska would have more exposure saying look if he can win at a high level it can happen

This assumes Urban can just come in and quickly win a championship. It's just as likely he barely makes a bowl game and then leaves. It's been 20 years since Urban coached somewhere as difficult to recruit to as Nebraska. I'm very skeptical he'll be able to succeed quickly or that he'll stay around long enough to finish the rebuild. And that's not even considering his off-field baggage.

I'd much rather take our chances with a coach we think will stick around long enough to right the ship and not pull an Urban Meyer or a Lincoln Riley.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

Liam Coen. LA Rams OC. Seems like these guys do really well wherever they go. Was the OC at Kentucky last year. Made Wandale an early round pick. Also worked under Whipple at UMass. Nope hasnt been a HC, either have any of the other guys that left to be HC after serving under McVay. It wont happen because Nebraska thinks they deserve something more. As a Rams and Husker fan I would be very excited. Then bring the wallet out for Joseph at OC, Applewhite at RB and the DC has to be a huge hire. 

• TBH 1
13 minutes ago, SODAKSKERSFAN20 said:

Liam Coen. LA Rams OC. Seems like these guys do really well wherever they go. Was the OC at Kentucky last year. Made Wandale an early round pick. Also worked under Whipple at UMass. Nope hasnt been a HC, either have any of the other guys that left to be HC after serving under McVay. It wont happen because Nebraska thinks they deserve something more. As a Rams and Husker fan I would be very excited. Then bring the wallet out for Joseph at OC, Applewhite at RB and the DC has to be a huge hire. 

1. Enjoy your NFL-paid-for SB.

2. He’s been the Rams OC for one game and they looked disastrous.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
40 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I also thought Frost poorly managed the true freshmen on the team and worried too much about preserving their redshirts. If you are recruiting, coaching, and developing at a high level, true freshmen should be able to contribute and the coach shouldn’t think about 4 years down the road.

Sure, if the true freshman is the better player.  But, if they are recruiting, coaching and developing at a high level, the vast majority of upperclassmen are going to be better than the true freshman.

• TBH 1
9 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Why do you like an AD forcing a new head coach to take on a current staff of offensive coaches? It’s such a terrible idea. 

"Why do I like an AD forcing a new head coach to take on a current staff of offensive coaches?"

I do not like that.  

But, what I did say is the following:

"if the offense plays really well, scores points, etc,. then you have to consider keeping Whipple.  I think he is a good OC and helpful to other coaches and our players.

I like Whipple.  I like Mickey.  That's all it is buddy.

• Fire 2
  • TBH 1

I wouldn't force a head coach to keep any coaches... heck, I'm certainly glad that Brian Kelly didn't choose to retain Mickey Joseph. That said, I'd like to think that whomever the new head coach is will recognize the guys who are doing a good job and won't hire anyone who can't do a similar/better job. My biggest concerns are 1) if Mickey doesn't get the full-time gig is that he'll leave, and all of the WRs that he landed will follow him to his next spot; and 2) if Applewhite isn't retained, Grant (if he doesn't declare for the NFL draft) and Allen will follow him.

• Fire 1
  • TBH 1
43 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I wouldn't force a head coach to keep any coaches... heck, I'm certainly glad that Brian Kelly didn't choose to retain Mickey Joseph. That said, I'd like to think that whomever the new head coach is will recognize the guys who are doing a good job and won't hire anyone who can't do a similar/better job. My biggest concerns are 1) if Mickey doesn't get the full-time gig is that he'll leave, and all of the WRs that he landed will follow him to his next spot; and 2) if Applewhite isn't retained, Grant (if he doesn't declare for the NFL draft) and Allen will follow him.

The strength of those on his staff is worth taking into consideration. If a candidate recognizes on his own that some adjustments need to be made that demonstrates someone making an honest evaluation. It could prove as an example an understanding of the the conference, etc. for changes that might be necessary. Maybe a scenario is that he wants to retain an existing staff member demonstrating flexibility and a willingness to make difficult choices.

From the coaches perspective on the other hand, he isn’t going to enjoy being dictated to or for there to be micromanaging. Competent professionals work through these things. Alberts is going to trust the judgement of the person he selects. 

• TBH 1
1 hour ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Everyone laughed at the fact that I said Allen was good enough to play and was going to. Very very talented young player. Grant is a beast regardless if he only has played 3 games. I suspect and still think he gets to 1000 yards this season.

LOL I said that last year when we were recruiting him. I saw him play multiple times in HS and had him rated as the #3 HS RB in Louisiana. 

13 minutes ago, huskerfan99 said:

Maybe Aranda should be the top candidate. With him working with Mickey and Busch at LSU they would both have a good shot at staying on staff. 

A win win for the fans.

Why would Mickey want to go from being head coach back to coordinator? If he doesn't get the gig he's likely gone, imo.

• TBH 1

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

LOL I said that last year when we were recruiting him. I saw him play multiple times in HS and had him rated as the #3 HS RB in Louisiana. 

Why would Mickey want to go from being head coach back to coordinator? If he doesn't get the gig he's likely gone, imo.

He wouldn't be going "back" to coordinator.  He's a position coach and AHC to IHC.

• TBH 1
40 minutes ago, lo country said:

Payton will be coaching in the NFL again soon. The Dolphins were going to offer him a 5-year, $100-million contract. He's also technically still under contract with the Saints... not sure how that would work for us.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Payton will be coaching in the NFL again soon. The Dolphins were going to offer him a 5-year, $100-million contract. He's also technically still under contract with the Saints... not sure how that would work for us.

If Sean Peyton goes to the Dolphins, and they switch their uniforms back to their originals, I would love this :)  I hate the BS they wear now.  Can't stand it.

Sincerely,

-Bear Fan

-Dolphin Fan