Two time outs before halftime

Most people are rightfully talking about the stupid onside kick, but the two time outs before half time that led to another NW score were just as baffling.  The defense had clearly shown they weren't very good by that point in the game, yet Nebraska decides to risk it for a chance to get the ball back?  I was yelling at the TV after each TO.

So you give up trying to get the ball back with some time if they score or go out on downs?  We got into FG range, and barely missed.

They make that FG no one would question the time outs. Or NW score anyway and now we have no time people would be pissed.

Two ways to look at it but those time outs didn't cost us the game 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, Lunchbucket said:

So you give up trying to get the ball back with some time if they score or go out on downs?  We got into FG range, and barely missed.

They make that FG no one would question the time outs. Or NW score anyway and now we have no time people would be pissed.

Two ways to look at it but those time outs didn't cost us the game 

I don't see Northwestern going for it on 4th down if Nebraska lets the time run down.  Even if by some very small chance NW went for it, they likely don't score a TD.

You said: The defense had clearly shown they weren't very good by that point in the game

Which IMO shows they will score wether FG or TD.  Maybe SF thought they would stop and then we could March it down the field.

Missed tackles all over, no pressure on QB, lack of running, missing wide open receivers, receivers dropping passes, blown coverage, NW lots of YAC, might be more things to look at than 2 timeouts used to try to score again 

I liked the timeouts.  It shows and gives confidence to players on both sides of the ball.  Take some measured chances.

Then there's idiocy.

The onside kick showed lack of confidence in your best friend's unit being able to get a stop.  It showed lack of confidence in your new ST coach as he didn't even know the kick was called.

The calling out of Whipple for not being creative showed a lack of leadership and class.  

The timeouts?  No issues.  Multiple moments after epitomized this last five years.

• Plus1 2
43 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

Most people are rightfully talking about the stupid onside kick, but the two time outs before half time that led to another NW score were just as baffling.  The defense had clearly shown they weren't very good by that point in the game, yet Nebraska decides to risk it for a chance to get the ball back?  I was yelling at the TV after each TO.

Scott was being "creative" in his own mind.  :-)  He likes to be creative.

• Fire 1
3 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

The onside kick showed lack of confidence in your best friend's unit being able to get a stop.  

I thought it showed the opposite, and that trust was misplaced.

Frost was gambling that if they didn't recover, his defense would get a stop. It was dumb considering we hadn't pressured NW much during the game.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I thought it showed the opposite, and that trust was misplaced.

Frost was gambling that if they didn't recover, his defense would get a stop. It was dumb considering we hadn't pressured NW much during the game.

Whatever the motivation, same conclusion.  Stupid call.

I think he hoped he could surprise NW (that’s not smart as NW is smartly coached, period).  I get the idea of grabbing another quick TD to get separation. And I think Frost knew by then we couldn’t run the ball and the QB CT was going to face a lot more pressure the rest of the game.  He needed quick short drive points because drives would be very hard. They were.  From then on.  

He gambled, impulsively I think, and he lost.  If it worked, NU likely wins game but maybe not. No way to predict the offense.  The biggest issue that will keep this team from winning is the lack of a run attack.  

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I think he hoped he could surprise NW (that’s not smart as NW is smartly coached, period).  I get the idea of grabbing another quick TD to get separation. And I think Frost knew by then we couldn’t run the ball and the QB CT was going to face a lot more pressure the rest of the game.  He needed quick short drive points because drives would be very hard. They were.  From then on.  

He gambled, impulsively I think, and he lost.  If it worked, NU likely wins game but maybe not. No way to predict the offense.  The biggest issue that will keep this team from winning is the lack of a run attack.  

yup, you can't win in the Big w/o a run game.

6 hours ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

You’re just looking for stuff now.  Stick with the onside kick.  That was next level bonehead.

Yell at the TV all you want.  That was the right call.  You don’t do that more people than you are yelling at their TVs.  It shows you have no confidence in your team and you’re waiving white flag.

Only reason I come up with for time outs before half is your defense is tired, again. ND is administering a whipping.  My God, this is far worse than most could have bad dreamed.

It’s sickening.  There is a serious probability of a loss.  That happens - 0-12 is a real risk.  When is last time NU went winless?   Omg. It seems unthinkable but ??