Mood After Dublin - How Many Wins?

Mood After Dublin - How Many Wins?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. How Many Regular Season Wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/03/2022 at 04:59 AM

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I wouldn't say we went cheap on Frost.  He was THE hot coach at the time and, if I remember right, we paid him what the going rate was for a coach like that.

Yes, I noted in my post that we paid him a bunch but he was still unproven - he had one great year and because of that he was the hot candidate.  

6 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

I just turned 70 years old a week ago and I am of the conclusion I may never see a good-great Husker football team again. Kinda scary!

I hear ya. I just turned 75, and feel realistically that I 'll never see a another championship, but now hope for a winning season. Just a winning season is all I ask for, so opposing teams don't pencil in a "W" on their schedule. Gone are the good ol days when Barney Cotton got all excited in the locker room in front of the press, at a 9 win season, and a lot of fans thought "Any monkey could win 9 games".

• Plus1 3

I'm pretty deflated.  I thought we had a path to 8 wins but that was based on our offense being the question mark, not our defense.

For what it's worth, I think the loss to Illinois last to year to open the season was much more deflating than the loss on Saturday.  Don't get me wrong, they're both piss poor and inexcusable but I feel this way because:

• I walked away feeling good about the offense.  Yes, I would have liked to see more of a push and more success in the run game, but for the very first live game of seeing whipple, CT and the receivers I thought we looked pretty damn good knowing fully well they will only improve from here with more game reps
  • Last year that illinois meltdown was primarily due to the incompetence of our special teams coupled with a "captain" qb who had a lackluster energy coupled with horrendous, momentum killing turnovers.  

What has me feeling really pessimistic now is our defense.  Sure, busts happen in the first game particularly with a new secondary and missed tackles will be a problem early on... but I didnt see the same level of missed tackles by NW who also were playing there first game.  I cant recall being as dissappointed in a single player as I was with heinrich on saturday. 

'

Most disappointing was our DCs questionable strategy walking into that game.  We didnt get creative with blitzes, we couldnt rush with 4, we played a cushion coverage letting them take whatever they wanted in the short passing game... Im no football coach but im pretty sure you can do 1 of those, maybe 2, but not all 3- that is just stupidity on display in my opinion.

We can really turn things around with a win against oklahoma.  Am I banking on that? no, not at all.... We had chances last year to correct the illinois debacle (mich st, mich, iowa, wisconsin were all winnable games)... We just have ZERO margin for error now, frosty had 1 game to blow against a team we shoulda beat, instead of an october stinker we went out and did it week 1.  

Will this be motivation material or just a harbinger for darker times in the next few months?  I guess we'll find out shortly

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

I have been very confident in the Blackshirts being better.  Obviously that may be misplaced hope.  However, I’m hanging on to some hope that the biggest single issue Saturday was a very ‘rusty’ team that hasn’t played real block and tackle (full contact) FB in 8 months.  Nobody has actually watched practices apparently. I am suspecting we had a lot of those ‘spring game’ type scrimmage lites.  Fear of injuries is raging in Lincoln I guess but to get good at blocking and tackling, running and catching, etc you must play real life football.  Practice vs pillow dummies and push sleds may be useful but it is not football.  Drills and videos and meetings and paddy cakes don’t work.  The biggest thing is always blocking and tackling against an opposing player resisting likewise.  RBs need to break tackles not bump into Lil Reds. 

My expectation (hope now) is a much more aggressive - physical bunch.  Two good practice games up coming and some live scrimmage work will help.  

i also expect real run game work in these next 3 games.  Can this bunch win 7 or 8 games?  Imo yes.  Will they ?  Idk. History says not. But I’ve not given up completely.  

My poll vote - 4 wins as that is my low side #.  I predicted 45-13 win so what do I know?  Not much more or less than the rest of us. We have so little visual evidence.  

Im still coming to watch OU and will cheer my a$$ off - whoever the coaches and players are at the time.  GBR

• Plus1 2

This team finishes between 2-10 and 4-8. 

Let's not forget that Northwestern was a putrid 3-9 team a season ago and they rang us up for 4.6 ypc on the ground. Most concerning, Northwestern's final drive that started on their own 8 yard line - a drive when there was no doubt what their intentions would be - they averaged 6.5 ypc. 

This thing is over. They win the next two games, and then maybe get two more in the stretch of Indiana, Rutgers, Purdue and Illinois. 

Something something there is no hope, f#&% everything, go big red. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2

I read this on Facebook today. Wondered what folks here think? Part of me agrees with the poster but another part of me thinks the over 21 adults (coaches) need to step up their game as well. Here’s what I read:

We Husker fans need to do better. 

We are all the talk right now in college football, and it's not positive attention. 

But I'm not here to complain about Frost, the players, the staff, the program, the way it once was...

I'm here as a genuine concerned fan.

A bit of a momma bear if you will. 

As a college instructor, I am with 18 to 22 year olds daily. 

These. Are. Kids. 

Trust me, they think they're adults. Remember when you did too at their age? How'd that go for ya? 

You are tearing these kids up game after game, expectation after expectation, pressure after pressure.

And now, we've managed to put a man's job, one he loves, respects, and works his butt off for, on the literal shoulder pads of 18 to 22 year olds. 

Step up, Husker fans. 

There has been a fall from grace, but it's not only on the shoulders of this coach, these kids, or this program. 

It's on us, too. 

So we either learn how to cheer louder, in both wins and losses, or continue watching the weight of the world crush a program we all love so much. 

Let's take on some blame and become the world's greatest fans once again. 

Go Big Red.

Nebraska Huskers

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

I read this on Facebook today. Wondered what folks here think? Part of me agrees with the poster but another part of me thinks the over 21 adults (coaches) need to step up their game as well. Here’s what I read:

We are all the talk right now in college football, and it's not positive attention. 

But I'm not here to complain about Frost, the players, the staff, the program, the way it once was...

These. Are. Kids. 

Trust me, they think they're adults. Remember when you did too at their age? How'd that go for ya? 

You are tearing these kids up game after game, expectation after expectation, pressure after pressure.

And now, we've managed to put a man's job, one he loves, respects, and works his butt off for, on the literal shoulder pads of 18 to 22 year olds. 

Step up, Husker fans. 

There has been a fall from grace, but it's not only on the shoulders of this coach, these kids, or this program. 

It's on us, too. 

So we either learn how to cheer louder, in both wins and losses, or continue watching the weight of the world crush a program we all love so much. 

Go Big Red.

Nebraska Huskers

Such nonsense (that post, not you @ladyhawke).

• Plus1 7
4 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

These. Are. Kids. 

Step up, Husker fans. 

It's on us, too. 

Go Big Red.

Nebraska Huskers

I'd suggest doing something other than Facebook.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
1 hour ago, ladyhawke said:

These. Are. Kids. 

Step up, Husker fans. 

It's on us, too. 

Go Big Red.

Nebraska Huskers

I agree with Cdog.  This facebook post is trash.  We've been sending 18-22 year olds off to war for decades.  With the deals some 18-22 year olds are signing, they aren't amateur athletes anymore.  This is big boy football now.  It's also a bit shocking to read something like this coming from a college instructor.  They're job is also tied to how well 18-22 year olds do.  I'm sure there have been plenty of college instructors fired for nonperformance.  

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

The more I think about it, if we can sacrifice Steve Pedersen on the 50 yard line on Saturday, I will adjust mine back to 6 wins.  

Can Trev make this happen?  Maybe paint a touchdown Solich mural on the side of the stadium?  I am willing to try anything at this point.

THIS!!! :steam