POLL: Scott Frost's remaining Time at NU

How much Time Does Frost Have Left?  

179 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would be fine with firing Scott today.  

For me, it would be the best opportunity for the team to see how many games could be won without his hand in the cookie jar.  If he stays, at least banish him to the booth or give him a clipboard.  He doesn't get to make any ST calls nor call plays.

With an interim coach like MJ, he would get two easy games and really 4/5 as pretty easy tests to see what we got in him.  Whip would/should be good on his own and if at the end of the season you don't like what you got you hire above MJ.

I won't rant against Scott, but to wait to the end of the season is to miss the better opportunity as I see it.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

So what are we gaining by firing him mid season?

Someone alluded to it, but isn't there a specific date set by Trev Alberts that allows Nebraska to move on from Frost and save money per a contract restructuring that anticipated this possibility?

There's frequently a dynamic in this situation across all sports where the team steps up and plays better for the replacement coach. It doesn't last forever and may not solve anything long--term, but it does shore up the team and the fans for a spell. 

5 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Someone alluded to it, but isn't there a specific date set by Trev Alberts that allows Nebraska to move on from Frost and save money per a contract restructuring that anticipated this possibility?

There's frequently a dynamic in this situation across all sports where the team steps up and plays better for the replacement coach. It doesn't last forever and may not solve anything long--term, but it does shore up the team and the fans for a spell. 

October 1st I believe

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Short of losing the next two games, it makes no sense to fire him before we are eliminated from bowl contention considering that is the most likely metric Alberts is using to grade this season.

If the metric is bowl game or bust, then I’d be disappointed in TA’s evaluation of program success and trajectory. IMO, 6 wins only cannot be a milestone metric to save one’s job. That’s shortsighting the program development for future years which potentially leads to sub .500 in 2023 before firing him. As others have stated, we wait and we’re another year behind.

As much as it pains me to admit, he’s failed at creating or developing a culture of winning, and hasn’t shown any metric of deserving retention. Only way to save his job is to go 3-0 in September and knock off division foes to contend for the West. But in order for that to happen, the entire team needs a come to Jesus moment to overcome whatever mentality makes them play so tight in crunch time.

I hope they can figure it out, but it’s grim hope and the way CFB has changed, TA should have feelers out this week and act early so the next staff is in place for December signing day success. 

I don't know if MJ has the ability to motivate and rally the troops to salvage something from the season, but I'm fairly certain Frost doesn't. 

If he did it would have happened last year, or the year before, or the year before . . .

Maybe the question should be what do we gain by allowing Frost to continue to run the program into the ground?

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

20 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

If the metric is bowl game or bust, then I’d be disappointed in TA’s evaluation of program success and trajectory. IMO, 6 wins only cannot be a milestone metric to save one’s job. That’s shortsighting the program development for future years which potentially leads to sub .500 in 2023 before firing him. As others have stated, we wait and we’re another year behind.

As much as it pains me to admit, he’s failed at creating or developing a culture of winning, and hasn’t shown any metric of deserving retention. Only way to save his job is to go 3-0 in September and knock off division foes to contend for the West. But in order for that to happen, the entire team needs a come to Jesus moment to overcome whatever mentality makes them play so tight in crunch time.

I hope they can figure it out, but it’s grim hope and the way CFB has changed, TA should have feelers out this week and act early so the next staff is in place for December signing day success. 

Six wins was an acceptable metric for year 2. Not year 5 after four years of utter failure.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, presidentjlh said:

Six wins was an acceptable metric for year 2. Not year 5 after four years of utter failure.

Yes, that is why, even though I agreed that if the bowl IS the metric, we should wait and see, that I now have my doubts.   He may not get to the 6th win until a fluke win over Iowa. That is too long of trending in mediocrity.   If the can't show radical change by Oct 1, I reinstate he should be let go then.  Letting him go sends a message to the whole football world - Nebraska is open for business again and we want nothing short of excellence.  5 years of anything but is far too long. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Ulty said:

There were a lot of coaching changes mid-season last year. The market for good coaches has gotten so competitive, and with the early signing period, we can't be standing around holding our dicks in our hands with no coach in January. 

Last year, even if Frost had been fired on the field after the Iowa game, most of the good candidates were already spoken for. Even though we all know that a lot of talk happens behind the scenes, if a firing is inevitable it behooves a school to pull the trigger early, strip away the pretense, and get on the market.

Trev restructured Scott's contract with the October date for a reason.

All good points.   With early signing, it makes it critical to have a new staff together to get the new recruits and retain the players we have.  Got to be a high end hire. 

16 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I don't know if MJ has the ability to motivate and rally the troops to salvage something from the season, but I'm fairly certain Frost doesn't. 

If he did it would have happened last year, or the year before, or the year before . . .

Maybe the question should be what do we gain by allowing Frost to continue to run the program into the ground?

MJ just needs to focus on his position groups' drops.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, sho said:

I know his buyout gets cut in half after 10.01.22, but when does it start going back up?   I feel he gets let go, as soon as Nebraska is eliminated from post season play or right before his buyout starts going up, whichever comes first. 

It basically goes back to what it was prior ... oh, and he gets another year added to his contract.  So, to keep him is to actually be in the same situation for an additional year.  They really set it up as a "Win" for Scott.  Yes, we save some in one season ... but if we keep him then it all goes back to what it was prior and he gets another year.

24 minutes ago, The Dude said:

That’s exactly the question that should be asked. Frost paid $7.5m to buy himself up to Oct 1st to prove he can turn things around. He’s already sh1t the bed. Beating Oklahoma is the only thing that should prolong his tenure and it can’t stop there. Like the Helton/usc article in the other thread alludes to, keep him on and the cancer grows. 

13 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

It basically goes back to what it was prior ... oh, and he gets another year added to his contract.  So, to keep him is to actually be in the same situation for an additional year.  They really set it up as a "Win" for Scott.  Yes, we save some in one season ... but if we keep him then it all goes back to what it was prior and he gets another year.

That’s not how I read it. Following is what was said back in November. If still accurate the buyout doesn’t go back up until renegotiation or extension. 

Nebraska coach Scott Frost’s new contract buyout goes into effect Oct. 1, 2022. If fired next year, he’s owed $7.5M (down from $15M) on a prorated basis, $5M in 2023, $2.5M in 2024 and $1.25M in 2025. If fired without cause before Oct. 1, 2022, the old buyout remains effective.