POLL: Scott Frost's remaining Time at NU

How much Time Does Frost Have Left?  

179 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Maybe he should coax the Tom Osborne of football out of retirement 

And/or Frank Solich and Bo Pelini, just for one season to end the curse(s). 

Hell, bring Callahan back to coach O-Line for that matter. Let's just make it a greatest hits package and see if something sticks. 

• Haha 1

Having a couple days now to think about the outlook for Nebraska's season, although I know Frost's buyout gets reduced in October, I think regardless of how this season goes he stays until the end of the year. Because why fire him in October? Why fire him in November when there are games yet to be played? At this point when it is clear that he won't return it is all a perception look for Alberts. Trying to attract a new coach and Alberts can show them the lengths they gave Frost to try and turn things around and if he keeps Frost through the season he can even sell the idea that he gave Frost all year to still try and turn things around. 

So that is why I think regardless of how this season goes Frost stays through the whole year. There really is no benefit to firing him. Recruiting landscape has changed so much I don't think you fire him to save a recruiting class, those things can be bought and recruited throughout the year. You keep him to sell to the next coach that Frost got an entire year to turn things around, even if it is obvious he is gone, at least it can be sold that you had the patience. A lost season is a lost season.

Frost returns if he somehow gets to 8 wins. He may even return if he somehow can get to 7 wins. 6 wins and that becomes a difficult decision, because what if that gets us a bowl? But after Northwestern beat us up and completely man handled us in the trenches, I don't see how this team gets to 6 wins. Even though we should have two wins these next two weeks, the Big Ten schedule is going to be a disaster just by how Big Ten teams are built and how we are built. It doesn't favor us in anyway.

3 hours ago, BoNeyard said:

Frost returns if he somehow gets to 8 wins. He may even return if he somehow can get to 7 wins. 6 wins and that becomes a difficult decision, because what if that gets us a bowl? But after Northwestern beat us up and completely man handled us in the trenches, I don't see how this team gets to 6 wins. Even though we should have two wins these next two weeks, the Big Ten schedule is going to be a disaster just by how Big Ten teams are built and how we are built. It doesn't favor us in anyway.

This. I can even see us going 3-0 and beating Oklahoma (really stealing one from them), and then going 0-fer during the B1G stretch because we're so mismatched up front. Hell, even the Friday night Rutgers game looks intimidating because Schiano gets his teams to play good, basic, fundamentally sound football. It's not sexy, but it's worked--twice. 

Oklahoma is so different than what we deal with in the B1G, it's why we were able to hang. It's like we're built to play Big XII football with a pass first, run when you remember it's in your playbook offense and a sieve of a defense. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

This. I can even see us going 3-0 and beating Oklahoma (really stealing one from them), and then going 0-fer during the B1G stretch because we're so mismatched up front. Hell, even the Friday night Rutgers game looks intimidating because Schiano gets his teams to play good, basic, fundamentally sound football. It's not sexy, but it's worked--twice. 

Oklahoma is so different than what we deal with in the B1G, it's why we were able to hang. It's like we're built to play Big XII football with a pass first, run when you remember it's in your playbook offense and a sieve of a defense. 

No offense but this take gets old.  The Big12 as a whole actually runs the ball more than the B1G.  Last season there were 7 B1G teams that averaged under 150 rushing yards per game and 1 that averaged under 100 (Purdue).  The Big12 only had 2 teams under 150 yards per game average - Kansas and West Virginia.

Average rushing yards per game in 2021 by conference -

Big12 = 173.07

B1G = 156.04  

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

No offense but this take gets old.  The Big12 as a whole actually runs the ball more than the B1G.  Last season there were 7 B1G teams that averaged under 150 rushing yards per game and 1 that averaged under 100 (Purdue).  The Big12 only had 2 teams under 150 yards per game average - Kansas and West Virginia.

Big12 = 173.07

B1G = 156.04  

Just for clarification, how did the rushing attempts compare?  Rushing yardage isn't really an apples to apples comparison when one league is known for porous defenses.  

15 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Big12 = 173.07

B1G = 156.04  

Agree. This whole notion of Nebraska having a hard time adjusting to Big 10 style football has always been overblown. It's still football. If you have a different style of play, it can also work to your advantage. The Pac 12 used to spank Big 10 teams by playing the opposite of Big 10 football. These days the top teams in the Big 10, Big 12, and SEC play a similar style of ball with the best recruits in the country. Running. Passing. Blocking. Defending.

I don't think the Huskers would have fared any better had they stayed in the Big 12. 

33 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Big12 = 173.07

B1G = 156.04  

Totally agree man. It’s just another excuse

32 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Big12 = 173.07

B1G = 156.04  

6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Agree. This whole notion of Nebraska having a hard time adjusting to Big 10 style football has always been overblown. It's still football. If you have a different style of play, it can also work to your advantage. The Pac 12 used to spank Big 10 teams by playing the opposite of Big 10 football. These days the top teams in the Big 10, Big 12, and SEC play a similar style of ball with the best recruits in the country. Running. Passing. Blocking. Defending.

I don't think the Huskers would have fared any better had they stayed in the Big 12. 

I think we all can admit the Big 12 plays less/worse defense which accounts for some of that difference.  It is easier to run the ball in the Big 12.  There is no question that the Big Ten teams value defense and field position a bit more than the other conferences.  If you don't believe that, then maybe you don't watch enough of other conferences games.  Who knows how NU does staying in the Big 12, I get that, but saying all styles of football are the same just isn't correct. 

20 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

Just for clarification, how did the rushing attempts compare?  Rushing yardage isn't really an apples to apples comparison when one league is known for porous defenses.  

The average rushing attempts per game by conference are very close with the Big12 slightly higher.  Both conferences average about 37 rushing attempts per game.   

On 8/29/2022 at 9:53 AM, Mavric said:

:yeah

It does absolutely nothing to make a move in the middle of the season.  

Absolutely not true. The worst thing you can have is talks about the coaches getting fired that amount of negativity in the program is monumental. Gotta rip the band aid off

5 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I think we all can admit the Big 12 plays less/worse defense which accounts for some of that difference.  It is easier to run the ball in the Big 12.  There is no question that the Big Ten teams value defense and field position a bit more than the other conferences.  If you don't believe that, then maybe you don't watch enough of other conferences games.  Who knows how NU does staying in the Big 12, I get that, but saying all styles of football are the same just isn't correct. 

I think that is what we want to believe because of our view of the conference from when we were there.  Yes, the Big12 has some lower level teams but over the last 20 years they have matched up pretty dang well against Big 10 teams.

Since 2000 the Big 12 has gone 44 and 37 against the B1G in head to head matchups. 

The Big 12 defenses has had a lot of success recently against the B1G-

2021 West Virginia held Minnesota to 18 points

2021 Oklahoma held us to 16 points

2019 Iowa State held Iowa to 18 points

2019 TCU held Purdue to 13 points

2018 Kansas held Rutgers to 14 points

2018 Iowa State held Iowa to 13 points

2017 Oklahoma held Ohio State to 16 points

Of course there are examples of higher points scored but contrary to what some believe, the Big 12 does in fact play defense.     

I do believe the B1G plays a different style and values things differently but the difference isn't near as glaring as some would make it out to be.  

20 minutes ago, ndobney said:

Absolutely not true. The worst thing you can have is talks about the coaches getting fired that amount of negativity in the program is monumental. Gotta rip the band aid off

We've the number one band aid ripper in college football per total buyout dollars.

• Haha 1