POLL: Scott Frost's remaining Time at NU

How much Time Does Frost Have Left?  

179 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

27 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I think that is what we want to believe because of our view of the conference from when we were there.  Yes, the Big12 has some lower level teams but over the last 20 years they have matched up pretty dang well against Big 10 teams.

Since 2000 the Big 12 has gone 44 and 37 against the B1G in head to head matchups. 

The Big 12 defenses has had a lot of success recently against the B1G-

2021 West Virginia held Minnesota to 18 points

2021 Oklahoma held us to 16 points

2019 Iowa State held Iowa to 18 points

2019 TCU held Purdue to 13 points

2018 Kansas held Rutgers to 14 points

2018 Iowa State held Iowa to 13 points

2017 Oklahoma held Ohio State to 16 points

Of course there are examples of higher points scored but contrary to what some believe, the Big 12 does in fact play defense.     

I do believe the B1G plays a different style and values things differently but the difference isn't near as glaring as some would make it out to be.  

I get what you are saying, but the Big Ten teams aren't exactly known for offensive firepower outside of OSU either.  Probably feeds into the defensive conference narrative as well huh? :lol:

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, walksalone said:

If they fire him, who is actually going to come in and turn this around?

Unless one of these coordinators is some coaching savant, we're going to be doomed for awhile...

I think we're in for many more lean years...

That is the same question asked at well over 50% of the programs in the country on a yearly basis.  The opposition to that is what happens if we don't fire him?  Our fan base is great but my sense is it is on the verge of dropping off significantly.  I have been offered free tickets for this Saturday's game more than a dozen times in the last 3 days.  20 years ago I was glad to find nose bleed tickets against bad opponents for under 100 bucks.  10 years ago I was shocked to get a set of tickets for face value against a conference opponent.  Now people can't give the damn things away.  That can't be allowed to continue without trying to do something different.   

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I get what you are saying, but the Big Ten teams aren't exactly known for offensive firepower outside of OSU either.  Probably feeds into the defensive conference narrative as well huh? :lol:

Very true.  The reality is elite teams are few and far between.  

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

That is the same question asked at well over 50% of the programs in the country on a yearly basis.  The opposition to that is what happens if we don't fire him?  Our fan base is great but my sense is it is on the verge of dropping off significantly.  I have been offered free tickets for this Saturday's game more than a dozen times in the last 3 days.  20 years ago I was glad to find nose bleed tickets against bad opponents for under 100 bucks.  10 years ago I was shocked to get a set of tickets for face value against a conference opponent.  Now people can't give the damn things away.  That can't be allowed to continue without trying to do something different.   

But what's that different going to be?

Unless some top tier coach is just in wings, waiting to walk through the door, were in for more of the same...

Just now, walksalone said:

But what's that different going to be?

Unless some top tier coach is just in wings, waiting to walk through the door, were in for more of the same...

At some point that is a chance you have to take otherwise you are accepting failure.  It doesn't take Nick Saban or Urban Meyer to not shoot yourself in the foot.    

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, walksalone said:

Unless one of these coordinators is some coaching savant, we're going to be doomed for awhile...

Coach gets fired. Assistant takes over for the interim. Team actually plays a little better. Healing begins. Jump start on coaching search and recruiting. Happens all the time. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Agree. This whole notion of Nebraska having a hard time adjusting to Big 10 style football has always been overblown. It's still football. If you have a different style of play, it can also work to your advantage. The Pac 12 used to spank Big 10 teams by playing the opposite of Big 10 football. These days the top teams in the Big 10, Big 12, and SEC play a similar style of ball with the best recruits in the country. Running. Passing. Blocking. Defending.

I don't think the Huskers would have fared any better had they stayed in the Big 12. 

It all comes down to the basics regardless of scheme.  Play sound fundamental football.  Block, tackle and take care of the ball.  NU, for years, under multiple coaches continues to struggle.  

Disciplined teams win games.  Set the edge on D. Hit the right holes, run the correct routes.  Wiscy and Iowa are boring to watch, BUT they are disciplined.  They have a system they recruit for and coach and develop guys in that system to fit in their specific role. They play sound, boring, disciplined football.  Will their brand beat the Bama's and Clemson's of the world?  Probably not. BUT can NU adopt this and start wining the West and go from there?  Absolutely. 

Reading a lot of these and not sure anyone pointed out that it’s going to come down to wins and losses when/if he gets fired.  If he wins he shows progress and keeps his job. If he loses he is gone in October and can’t believe people saying let him have the whole year even if still losing in October!  What benefit would there be to retain him until end of year except a long drawn out painful death everyone knows is coming.

TA had better not screw around if the hammer needs to fall in October. There is absolute benefit to not waiting. You get first crack at the guy you want. Why wait for anything that could happen? What if you target a guy and have him but then later another job unexpectedly becomes open in college or the NFL and your guy is suddenly lost now to a competitor? Recruiting does not do well with uncertainty. You get your guy in and give recruits clarity.  You also get to see how the team performs under an interim and leadership of an interim to see if you want to retain him on next staff.

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, walksalone said:

I don't think the program ever comes back it's just to far gone.