POLL: Scott Frost's remaining Time at NU

How much Time Does Frost Have Left?  

179 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think after the Purdue game is the most likely as we have a bye before playing Illinois.

We should be 3-2 after coming out of the Indiana game.  Then we go to Rutgers (Friday night) and to Purdue.  If we're 3-4 I could see it happening then.  Even if we are 4-3 I would not be making eye contact with Trev if I was Scott.

• Plus1 1

30 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Sipple said on Sharp & Benning this morning that he thinks the magic number is 8 regular season wins for Scott to be retained.  Also he implied that a regular season firing is all but expected if things are not going well.

Segment 5 if you want to listen -> https://1620thezone.com/sharp-and-benning/

Eh ... I'm far from convinced that Sipple really knows as much as he thinks he does.

It's possible that 8 wins is the number.  But it would kind of seem odd to me that Frost was brought back and given another chance, could double (or more) his win total from the previous year, make a bowl game for the first time in a long time and then get told "that's not enough progress."  

Not that I think 6-7 wins is much of an accomplishment, especially in year five.  But that would be significant progress over the past six years.  Which would seem to count for quite a bit.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

At this point, I think Trev and most of us have seen enough. I think he will be out October 2nd. Mickey will take over as interim. He had to beat NW and if he didn't, while also showing signs of the ugly past, it was done. As this team currently stands, it has no chance in hell making 7-8 wins. The PR beating Nebraska takes on a weekly basis now is just too much. Everyone has begun to feel sorry for us, and that is a horrible place to be. 

I think Scott was always going to be let go, and the only thing stopping it was his contract (and a miracle turnaround). And I wouldn't be surprised if hiring Mickey and Applewhite was insurance for the next coach that he would have top shelf coaches in place if need be. 

In terms of what is being said on the radio waves. Believe it. These guys are too savvy to be sticking their necks out if there wasn't some validity to it. At this point, I think everyone knows where it is heading, and they are preparing everyone for the inevitable. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

At this point, I think Trev and most of us have seen enough. He will be out October 2nd. Mickey will take over as interim, and I do not believe this is a shock to anyone in the football offices. He had to beat NW and if he didn't, while also showing signs of the ugly past, it was done. As this team currently stands, it has no chance in hell making 7-8 wins. In addition, the media has been blasting Scott and many feel bad for Nebraska as they know the program and fanbase deserve better, and I do not think Trev can stand pat much longer. Some things are just obvious. 

I think Scott was always going to be let go, and the only thing stopping it was his contract (and a miracle turnaround). You know, the coaching and D1 circle is very small. People talk and things get floated out there all the time. I am sure Trev has been approached by opponents, outside media members, other ADs, and coaches in other conferences, and they have told him Nebraska needs better and deserves it. I am not saying that is the deciding factor, but I imagine it is hard to hear that by people who respect Nebraska, and have cache in that world. If they see it, then it is obvious what needs to happen. 

Bear with me, I am just typing out my thoughts. 

You might be correct but I doubt Trev will let Frost go on the 2nd if they beat Indiana.  My guess is sitting at 4-1 or 3-2, he would be safe through the Purdue game.  If he is sitting with 4+ wins after Purdue, I think he gets to continue coaching as a 9 or 10 win season would still be possible - on paper at least.

I really think the "metrics" are a winning record October 2 and making a bowl game.  I guess we find out in a few weeks.     

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, Mavric said:

But it would kind of seem odd to me that Frost was brought back and given another chance, could double (or more) his win total from the previous year, make a bowl game for the first time in a long time and then get told "that's not enough progress."  

And I don't even know if "progress" factors into all that much. When compared to Riley, there's almost zero tangible progress.

B-U-T, I want him back for next year if we get to 6 regular season wins assuming that Thompson & Grant don't declare for the draft. Those guys are both juniors, Whipple coaches one more year, and every single offensive lineman is back (except Hixson).

So it's more about the momentum we might have now than it is about saying that "'X number of wins is progress" in year 5. We could be a good team next year and Frost could be coaching that good team.

For me the question is whether Scott has actually been able to see where he's gone wrong. If he has, he still has a chance at being a good head coach at Nebraska. I really believe that.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
15 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

At this point, I think Trev and most of us have seen enough. I think he will be out October 2nd. Mickey will take over as interim. He had to beat NW and if he didn't, while also showing signs of the ugly past, it was done. As this team currently stands, it has no chance in hell making 7-8 wins. In addition, the media has been blasting Scott and there has been a growing sentiment of remorse from outsiders saying Nebraska's program and fanbase deserve better, and I do not think Trev can stand pat much longer. Some things are just obvious. 

I think Scott was always going to be let go, and the only thing stopping it was his contract (and a miracle turnaround). You know, the coaching and D1 circle is very small. People talk and things get floated out there all the time. I am sure Trev has been approached by opponents, outside media members, other ADs, and coaches in other conferences, and they have told him Nebraska needs better and deserves it. I am not saying that is the deciding factor, but I imagine it is hard to hear that by people who respect Nebraska, and have cache in that world. If they see it, then it is obvious what needs to happen. 

In terms of what is being said on the radio waves. Believe it. These guys are too savvy to be sticking their necks out if there wasn't some validity to it. At this point, I think everyone knows where it is heading, and they are preparing everyone for the inevitable. 

Bear with me, I am just typing out my thoughts. 

Agree...7-8 wins. It's hard to imagine there being a 160 degree turn around. It seems inevitable.

Scott might make it a bit longer to Oct. 16. That's just me speculating though, my best guess on what might happen. :)

7 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

You might be correct but I doubt Trev will let Frost go on the 2nd if they beat Indiana.  My guess is sitting at 4-1 or 3-2, he would be safe through the Purdue game.  If he is sitting with 4+ wins after Purdue, I think he gets to continue coaching as a 9 or 10 win season would still be possible - on paper at least.

I really think the "metrics" are a winning record October 2 and making a bowl game.  I guess we find out in a few weeks.     

I hear ya, I just don't think there is any metric anymore. I think it was always "show me something different right off the bat, and don't stumble", or it's over when the reduction kicks in. Getting rid of the Frost angst may actually help this team squeak out a few more wins if he is let go mid season. 

• Fire 1

I believe the entire season boils down to Indiana & Rutgers. Assuming that we beat Georgia Southern (which I'm sure we will), winning those two will put us at 4-2, as I'm sure we'll lose to Oklahoma.

But 4-2? I absolutely see us then getting to a bowl. And if you win the bowl you get the winning season.

I don't see Trev firing him even at 6-6.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Undone said:

I believe the entire season boils down to Indiana & Rutgers. Assuming that we beat Georgia Southern (which I'm sure we will), winning those two will put us at 4-2, as I'm sure we'll lose to Oklahoma.

But 4-2? I absolutely seeing us then getting to a bowl. And if you win the bowl you get the winning season.

I don't see Trev firing him even at 6-6.

I think the onside kick and lack of resolve by the team ended it. Trev is a calculated and conservative person. Scott is not the kind of coach Trev wants, and that game only cemented it. 

• Fire 1
4 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

I think the onside kick and lack of resolve by the team ended it. Trev is a calculated and conservative person. Scott is not the kind of coach Trev wants, and that game only cemented it. 

The purpose of the year extension was because it's better for ALL if Scott succeeds; since Trev is part of ALL, I think that extra leeway lets him keep his job with 7 wins....

• Plus1 1