State of the Husker Fanbase

While I agree the knee jerk reaction from this loss is a bit overblown (Northwestern is probably a good team this year) it's not just the first game of the season that has caused it. It's a body of work for 5+ years, and basically the worst resume in Husker coaching history.

Frost has earned every ounce of this. He needs to find a way to win and win big the rest of the season. He's basically where Harbaugh was at last season. Native son can't save you from 5+ years of s#!t. It doesn't take that long to turn a program around and this is his last chance.

• Plus1 6
  • Fire 1

I think the biggest problem I have is the onside kick call.  

It just seems every 1 score loss has moment that you can point to for the loss.  Sometimes it is a player issue.  This one was clearly on a coach who is coaching under fire and made a desperate call.  

I agree, NW might be pretty good.  They clearly are coached much better than our team.

• Fire 1
4 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

No, people wanna throw the loyal coach away after 45 games, 15 of which we've won, over five years.

Five years - zero bowl games.

Five years - two wins against teams with winning records.

Five years - 5-21 in one-score games

Five years - 30 losses, most of which are the results of acts of self-sabotage by our head coach himself.

Can you name me one great coach in the last 80 years of football who had 15 wins in five years?

This seems implausible at the P5 level. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ZRod said:

Frost has earned every ounce of this. He needs to find a way to win and win big the rest of the season.

I was thinking about this: I wonder if he was maybe so surprised that we weren't blowing them out at halftime like we were last year that when we got up by 11 he felt like he had to go for the blowout or it didn't count.

• Plus1 1

The more i think about it, the more i see there are more and more decisions that were his fault that lead to the problems we have been having.  Alot of that does seem to be arrogance he has, thinking he can somehow outsmart coaches who have been in the game alot longer than he has.  He is still very young and needs to learn, either we ride this with him or boot him out at the end of the season and start over.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 3

I have found it refreshing to see fans speak up early.  It's not like we didn't hear a large volume of "coachspeak".  The bloviation continues at an alarming pace.

It would have been far different if Frost was stating that the players aren't working hard, don't seem ready, etc.  The reality is he sells massive improvement and then squander a lead with his same miscues.

He will still get his 4-5 wins and nestle in nicely into a 4-8 or 5-7 team.  He will probably be the 5-7 team of all-time if history repeats itself.

Go Big Red.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

I've been a loyal fan since 1970 when I was in the 8th grade.  I've been there for the highest highs and the lowest lows (Brook, Miami 83).  I've earned the right to be critical of where we are in this 5 year experiment.   I was all for and excited for Frost's hiring.  I never thought it would backfire this badly.  It is time to move on.  Should have done it last year and set the new coach up for success for this 'easier schedule'.   Yes, we save millions by waiting past Oct 1st but there is also the cost of apathy and national perception that has to be considered.  From a financial point of view it makes sense to wait, from a fan point of view, it is torture to go through this again.  Let's open up the bank account and get a proven winner who can set us on the right track long term.  Time to do it. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

Well, a fan base is a lot of people, in Nebraska anyway.  The "state of the fan base" then means the average feeling about things here.  The feelings of the majority?  Yes.  I've not seen an inclusive poll yet, taken across a large number of us Husker fans, except for a few in here and other boards.  If there's a consensus it's a back and forth one and yes it's leaning heavily to getting rid of Frost, finally.  His defenders seem to be either quiet now or openly changing their minds.

So, the state of the fan base may now be (once again) wondering if we can EVER get somebody who can year in and year out do what T.O. and B.D. did. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Can you name me one great coach in the last 80 years of football who had 15 wins in five years?

I've said this so many times and it drives the point to fire him home.

If he was even an AVERAGE coach he would have the longest leash in football. He can't even manage that.

• Plus1 4