State of the Husker Fanbase

It isn't just one game, we have now lost 7 straight games by one possession. We also haven't seemed to improve at all in the areas we've needed to improve in. But how horrible the defense was is extremely concerning as we move forward into the season and have to go up against Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc. Those offensive lines are going to mow us over and those teams could be seeing 400 yard rushing days. Defense may be so bad that we relive the Cosgrove years.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

20 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

It isn't just one game, we have now lost 7 straight games by one possession. We also haven't seemed to improve at all in the areas we've needed to improve in. But how horrible the defense was is extremely concerning as we move forward into the season and have to go up against Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc. Those offensive lines are going to mow us over and those teams could be seeing 400 yard rushing days. Defense may be so bad that we relive the Cosgrove years.

If Callahan would have had the cojones to fire his buddy and bring in a halfway competent DC, he'd still be our coach to this day and we'd have skins on the wall. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
5 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

If Callahan would have had the cojones to fire his buddy and bring in a halfway competent DC, he'd still be our coach to this day and we'd have skins on the wall. 

That's a bold statement; one that I don't entirely disagree with. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

I never thought I would see the day where I could think back to Callahan's time as "Not that bad".

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Fun fact, we were a top-25 scoring defense under Cosgrove in both '05 and '06 before falling off a cliff in '07. Hindsight is 20/20, and there was a lot of talent that walked out the door after '06 that Cosgrove didn't replace. But when would you have fired him? And I think Callahan was tiring of the college game already, a good DC probably bought a few more years before he left for the NFL.

• Plus1 2
56 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

I never thought I would see the day where I could think back to Callahan's time as "Not that bad".

Dude won a Big XII North title, and I still wonder how that Big XII title game had gone had Purify not fumbled on the first series. 

54 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Fun fact, we were a top-25 scoring defense under Cosgrove in both '05 and '06 before falling off a cliff in '07. Hindsight is 20/20, and there was a lot of talent that walked out the door after '06 that Cosgrove didn't replace. But when would you have fired him? And I think Callahan was tiring of the college game already, a good DC probably bought a few more years before he left for the NFL.

When Osborne told him to at the tail end of 2007. 

• Plus1 1

100% of other blue blood programs would've shown Frost the door last year or the year prior

75% of P5 teams would've shown Frost the door last year or the year prior

There are many things to call out about this program that could stand improvement, but fan support or lack thereof for Frost isn't one of them.  

We all (at least the vast majority) wanted this to work out and the majority of us still do.  At some point though, reality comes into play and there isn't always storybook ending.  Its deflating this is where we find ourselves but at some point you need to show results when it comes to big business which husker football falls into.  

• Plus1 5
2 hours ago, Saunders said:

Like just about everyone... I was all about the Frost train. But it's just not working.

If he won the next 15 games in a row... he'd have a worse record than Riley did when he was fired.

If he won the next 22 games in a row... he'd have a worse record than Callahan did when he was fired.

If he won the next 50 games in a row... he'd still have a worse record than Bo did when he was fired.

It sucks... but it's all but over at this point.

That is an amazing picture of Nebraska patience with its native son.   Sounds like a time for a friendly hand shake and best wishes. 

• Plus1 5

2 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

You're right - Cosgrove's defense was the stronger of the two units in Callahan's two good years.

The '06 team had a defense play at a championship level against top competition when the offense couldn't do anything.

• Plus1 1

I was out camping with zero services for about 20 miles in any direction so I missed the game until last night watching it on the DVR.  I watched us being pretty decent until that on sides call and then everything got deflated.  I have never seen a team go from hero to zero so fast and that's all on Frost.  I am just at the point that it's time to let Frost go after the buyout is lowered, nothing has changed with the new coaches he brought in or players for that matter.  The only constant at this point is Frost, so I point this directly at him.

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

The way we lose games (close or blowouts) has been consistent since the last few years with Solich, and passed on from coach to coach.

Husker play a game.  Then we all think "What the f#&% is happening?!!??"

We are very much the Tennessee of the SEC.  As soon as we embrace it, stay humble, enjoy the wins, be understanding with the losses, we might even strike lightening in a bottle one day again (Osborne mid 90's).  

If we don't, we will always be screwed.  And screaming for new coaches, blaming the conference, blaming the refs, yelling at ESPN, pissed off at our opponents, and b!^@hing about recruiting.  With a lot of super-hype-off-season Hope and Videos.  And missing the days of playing Kansas.

We all need to grow up as a fanbase, settle in, give our best, and admit we are middle of America, right next to Iowa who owns us.

I know I will catch hell for saying this :lol: 

• Oh Yeah! 1
8 minutes ago, admo said:

The way we lose games (close or blowouts) has been consistent since the last few years with Solich, and passed on from coach to coach.

Husker play a game.  Then we all think "What the f#&% is happening?!!??"

We are very much the Tennessee of the SEC.  As soon as we embrace it, stay humble, enjoy the wins, be understanding with the losses, we might even strike lightening in a bottle one day again (Osborne mid 90's).  

If we don't, we will always be screwed.  And screaming for new coaches, blaming the conference, blaming the refs, yelling at ESPN, pissed off at our opponents, and b!^@hing about recruiting.  With a lot of super-hype-off-season Hope and Videos.  And missing the days of playing Kansas.

We all need to grow up as a fanbase, settle in, give our best, and admit we are middle of America, right next to Iowa who owns us.

I know I will catch hell for saying this :lol: 

That is the problem - with each loss more and more people believe what you just typed.  Nebraska is who it is because we have refused to accept failure.  I for one hope we don't start now...    

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1