State of the Husker Fanbase

3 hours ago, Alamo City Husker said:

Witty and edgy you are. #PassHimTheCraftBeer

I came off a bit harsh.  Apologies.

I do think the OP doesn't represent reality.  Scott has been given plenty of time to right the ship.

At first it was culture and buy in.  Year two shifted to him being extremely optimistic but not understanding the why when things went poorly.  

Years three and four continued to show a miffed coach who believed the team needed to taste winning to have it change more outcomes.  Mind you, this is four years from Riley's guys.  Same results.  Same press conference answers.  

Here we are.  Year five.  Another close, bad loss.  It's not Riley's fault.  It's not the team culture fault.  It's not offensive creativity's fault.

It's on Scott.  Him.  That's it.  And the fact he doesn't acknowledge this more readily shows his narcissistic tendencies and has become one of NU's biggest problems.  It impedes the development and progress of players and coaches.  It's much of why we're 15-30 in his tenure.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

19 hours ago, Alamo City Husker said:

Regardless of the NW game out come, this "sky is falling", "doomer" mentality from the majority of fanbase, after one game; is so disappointing. The entire reason we got in this "privileged winning" fanbase mentality to begin with was university leadership not understanding culture and prioritizing winning over tenure and program stability. So we finally get a loyal af homegrown coach and AD, and wanna throw loyal coach away after the first game of the season? I'm old enough on Huskerboard to remember the threads about "what if" we had fired Osborne? Or the years of the alleged Husker curse for firing Frank Solich? Then the "karen" firing of Pelini by admins that will not be mentioned?  Just saying, is this a game or a idolatry for some of you? Perspective.  I say this having to deal with Cowboys fan haters on the daily. The Good Lord taught me not to Crucify anyone I can't raise from the dead. Just saying. 

images.jpg

Hello, Scott Frost.  Welcome to the board. I enjoy how you pump yourself up. Is that what you tell everyone when you go downtown?  Also, please don't do any onside kicks when we're ahead by 11.  Can you please focus on not having a crappy oline year after year?  

Sincerely, 

99% of the fanbase.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4

One thing is the presser today talking about find his role and not over stepping.  Has a lot of faith in Whipple, but seems (my perception) to have issues with play calling.  Thats not a great way to start the season for sure.  The competition only gets better from here.  Teams "improve the most between game 1 and 2", but it'll be hard to gauge against ND.....I know new staff, players etc, but we still seem to have a disconnect somewhere.Unsure it will get fixed by game 2 or game 12.

As a portion of the fan base I've been waffling between fun/joy and dread at the prospect of going to this week's game against North Dakota.  Now that's messed up, not even being able to look forward to what should be a cakewalk for the Huskers. 

I know I can look forward to a Guinness at The Zoo Bar, but sheesh I should be able to feel good about this game.  And I don't. 

40 minutes ago, Hagg said:

As a portion of the fan base I've been waffling between fun/joy and dread at the prospect of going to this week's game against North Dakota.  Now that's messed up, not even being able to look forward to what should be a cakewalk for the Huskers. 

I know I can look forward to a Guinness at The Zoo Bar, but sheesh I should be able to feel good about this game.  And I don't. 

Operative words: "should be". 

One thing that makes the Nebraska fanbase great is our loyalty to the team, the way we travel, and the way we (generally) respect visiting teams and fans.

It's noted by everyone who covers college football.

Another thing that makes the Nebraska fanbase great is we're pretty knowledgeable about college football, having followed it closely as an entire state. Husker fans know good football, and we are smart enough to realize that this isn't that. It's a bad product. Loyalty doesn't mean you just keep paying for a bad product. 

Was there a sense of entitlement after that 40 year run of excellence? Absolutely. That't been gone for awhile. In case you didn't notice, we're down to demanding six wins and a low-tier bowl game.

I'm older than you Alamo City Husker, and your takes on Nebraska football are fundamentally flawed. 

But there are a lot fans on Facebook worried that Nebraska will look mean and selfish if we fire Scott Frost, and unappreciative of these young men just trying to do their best.

Although that sounds kind and reasonable, it's also not true. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

I watched the entire game Saturday.  I watched the defense get pushed around the from the kick off.  We complain about these DBs that have to sit back in zone while a QB with no pressure gets to play 7 v 7.  I watched a few talented players on offense make plays.  I watched another RB getting hit at the line of scrimmage nearly every time.

If you can't control the line of scrimmage you can't win football games.  It's year 5.  Best of luck.

I don't know what time the North Dakota game is.  I don't really care.  If there is there something exciting that happens, I'll go and watch the recording.  I'll be drinking beer and doing yard work.  Wow, that sounds pathetic.

There is a difference between a fair weather fan and watching a car crash. 

19 hours ago, Alamo City Husker said:

Understood, but I'm just saying "with friends like these..." after one game you know? Just think fanbase is being disloyal and overreacting after one game with a bunch of new guys and coaches. It's like if we curb stomp Oklahoma and fans won't even remember this Northwestern game. FWIW IMHO 

If we curb stomp oklahoma then I will 100% forget about this blunder against NW.  

We need a massive win to turn this s#!t around, it be nice if it was against the sooners