Divisiveness

Has really gotten out of hand.

Just reading in the P&R thread is just a snapshot of the big picture.

Looking at the Right and the Left's point of view can be terrifying.  The media just telling you who to be afraid of, who to hate, and not reporting on what's going on with an unbiased eye.  I didn't really pay much attention to it all until the early 2000's, and since then it's gotten charlie manson crazy what people are saying. 

And it's both sides that are culpable in this sh*t show.  Even some of the independents are off their proverbial rocker.

It took a bunch of a$$h@!es flying planes into buildings (queue the tinfoil hat crowd), to get this country to come together for a few.  Is it going to take another horrible act to get people to put aside their differences and find some common ground?

For the record, I'm not a conservative, or a liberal, and keeping my thoughts on them to myself...

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I don't understand, what should the left do here? Politely point out the crimes of Trump, and kindly ask those who defend him - in his attack on Democracy and willful violations of law - to pretty please stop?

Look, you can "both sides" policy debates. I agree there are two sides to issues like Student Loan Forgiveness, Healthcare policy or funding for government programs. 

There are not two sides to Trumps crimes, calling his supports anti-democratic or a danger to the country, because all of that is true.

You don't have to be nice or understand their side on this issue just because 70 million Americans don't see anti-democractic rhetoric, criminal intent by the leader of their party, or dangerous flirtation with white nationalism as a problem. 

He literally said the right AND the left and you instantly go full DERRR ORANGE MAN BAD.  I agree that he's a s#!t human but Jesus.  I rarely venture into P&R on this site bc it is such a ridiculous echo chamber that others have alluded to many times and get ran off, or called Trump apologists (which just to clarify, I am not at all), whatever the case may be.

• Thanks 3
8 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Uh, yeah - DSL is questioning whether "right AND left" are really equivalent in the divisiveness, which is the topic of the thread.

And Walks started the thread by saying they're both divisive and both sides essentially suck.  My point was that DSL's post is a perfect summation of the echo chamber that is politics on this site.

• Thanks 2

Just now, RedSavage said:

And Walks started the thread by saying they're both divisive and both sides essentially suck.  My point was that DSL's post is a perfect summation of the echo chamber that is politics on this site.

What?  So, when Walks makes the statement that it's "both sides", nobody is allowed to point out that one side is way worse than the other and the cause of most of the divisiveness?

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 2
24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What?  So, when Walks makes the statement that it's "both sides", nobody is allowed to point out that one side is way worse than the other and the cause of most of the divisiveness?

Exactly. 

In my post I mentioned that as a matter of policy, there really are both sides. I get it. 

But, regarding my post, was there something incorrect @RedSavage or a point you disagreed with? Or are my factual statements leading to an uncomfortable echo chamber where other people also point out obvious crimes, anti-democratic rhetoric, etc. just something you find annoying in politics in general?

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Fire 2
2 hours ago, RedSavage said:

They aren’t even close to “equally” sucking. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Fire 1

Yes I would agree that the Orange Cheeto Traitor/Terrorist that was formerly a president is the most divisive person to ever, ever  hold the office of the presidency.  He started out as divisive by dividing us according to skin color and using fear to pit white Americans against middle east Americans and Hispanic Americans, and causing whites to fear black lives matter,  etc.  He forced the GOP into a far right shell of its former self where anyone who isn't supportive of Trump (majority of people) are branded as evil, un-American, or worse.  He continues today in the same mode.  

And the GOP got riled up by Obama  :blink: only because he leaned center left.  The GOP has moved so far right under Trump that it makes normal people look divisive by the distance between the Cult and normalcy.     When we talk divisive we need to talk about by what standard.   Divisiveness pre trump was mostly between center right and center left - we could live with whatever 'option' prevailed.  Now we are talking divisiveness between normal (including center right to center left) vs crazy alt right nutjobs who have been brainwashed by the Cult leader.  To stand with Trump now means you have given over your reasoning capabilities to the cult leader and his propaganda media talking heads.  To stand with Trump is Divisive - The Divide is  between you and your country.  

If I can take a Bible verse out of context and apply it here:  "Chose you this day who you will serve"   - Trump or Country.  That is the dividing question.  Wheat or Tares, Sheep or Goats.  There is no longer any middle ground. :boxosoap

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think at this point the "THEY'RE NOT EQUALLY AS BAD" retort is boring, predictable, TRUE, and also effectively shutting down any chance at a conversation of getting into the meat of the not-as-bad side.

I say this as someone who's offered that response plenty of times.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

I think at this point the "THEY'RE NOT EQUALLY AS BAD" retort is boring, predictable, TRUE, and also effectively shutting down any chance at a conversation of getting into the meat of the not-as-bad side.

I say this as someone who's offered that response plenty of times.

I'm not seeing an alternative approach here. If we can't speak the truth to that obvious lie, what are we supposed to do?

• Plus1 6
4 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Exactly. 

In my post I mentioned that as a matter of policy, there really are both sides. I get it. 

But, regarding my post, was there something incorrect @RedSavage or a point you disagreed with? Or are my factual statements leading to an uncomfortable echo chamber where other people also point out obvious crimes, anti-democratic rhetoric, etc. just something you find annoying in politics in general?

Nope.  Just that I'm shocked this thread went the way it did.  

/sdedhoarse

The general conversations in these threads always turn into how bad Trump is/was and I'm not here to disagree but you'd think everyone on the left was a gift from heaven if all you ever read was opinions on this site.

• Thanks 2
13 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

Nope.  Just that I'm shocked this thread went the way it did.  

/sdedhoarse

The general conversations in these threads always turn into how bad Trump is/was and I'm not here to disagree but you'd think everyone on the left was a gift from heaven if all you ever read was opinions on this site.

Nope - it is just that trump is making so much noise that he is the focus.  If there was no trump, we'd be discussing Biden and his policies a lot more.  But anything AOC says, or the Squad, or Harris, or Biden is drowned out by trump's words and actions.  And it is his words and actions that are the most serious threat to our country at this time.  We'll eventually get inflation under control, the infrastructure financed, the many other mini crisis solved.  But trump and his ONGOING insurrection is a real threat to this country and needs to be addressed and discussed. 

• Plus1 4

Trump is a d******d, the Clintons were having people offed, Obama was taking credit for s#!t he didn't do, Baby Bush was shady as f#&%, so yeah, they're all not to be trusted.

I always get a kick out of everyone bashing on trump, which he deserves, but they just let the Clinton's walk because his old lady's whole political career was her trying to get payback for a rub and a tug in the oval office...

She's just as evil as trump, maybe even more so because you don't know what she's doing, and if you do, you'll get smoked...

So yeah, none of these f*ckers are to be trusted, and our past two presidential elections, our choices for POTUS have been dogsh*t on a platter.

Why on earth would anybody want that job, you saw what it did to Obama in 8 years.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4