Dan Patrick Show: SOURCE links Urban Meyer to *POSSIBLE* upcoming head coaching vacancy at Nebraska

42 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I feel like Urban Meyer would get the program turned around faster than anyone, but he'd also flake out and bale in like two years.

Possibly true.  BUT OSU (granted talent level) has not appeared to miss a beat when his assistants move up.  Might be able to attract Herman as OC/HC in waiting.  Patrick was probably reading this board!

18 minutes ago, Street Novelist said:

I'd much rather have a coach that could potentially win 10-11 games per season, change our recruiting profile and get us talked about on the national stage again, who has a tendency to look the other way and occasionally bend the rules; as opposed to a nice coach, whom everyone likes, runs a program Mr. Clean would be envious of, but almost never has a winning record, with a bowl game once every 4 or 5 years.

I think age is beginning to take its toll on some Husker fans. There was plenty of s#!t that went on during Osborne's tenure. Y'all have just conveniently decided to forget it.

I said as much earlier.  TO let a lot of stuff go on as HC.  Not like Switzer crazy or Miami under Jimmy, but not the pure saint folks make him out to be.  And everyone loves "Mr Clean", especially the opposing coaches.

• Plus1 4
32 minutes ago, lo country said:

Possibly true.  BUT OSU (granted talent level) has not appeared to miss a beat when his assistants move up.  Might be able to attract Herman as OC/HC in waiting.  Patrick was probably reading this board!

OSU has 5 losing seasons between 2021 and 1950, and their overall record during that time is insanely impressive. They don't really miss a beat in general.

7 minutes ago, NebraskaBison said:

OSU has 5 losing seasons between 2021 and 1950, and their overall record during that time is insanely impressive. They don't really miss a beat in general.

That really is amazing.

With that said, most of that time the Big Ten was even lamer than it is now.  You had like sooooo many built in wins.  Indiana, Purdue, MSU, Illinois, NW, Minnesota.  

Would you rather play in Lincoln Nebraska or Tempe Arizona?  Would you rather recruit players to Lincoln or Tempe?  Right now Arizona St would be much more attractive in all areas.  Golfing weather, recruiting, living, and Herm Edwards even has this team winning some games.  Plus, no pressure to win 10 games!  The one constant here is our fanbase wanting 10 wins.  We better understand that we need to win 6-7 games a season first, then maybe we get 8-9 wins and be happy with that.  Dn't get me wrong, we all want relevance and wins again, but baby steps first.

WIth Nil and the portal, I think most of us would rather take a chance on Tempe, ARizona.  Realisticallly, Urban can most likely name his school, and Nebraska just doesn't seem high on the radar. 

Don't forget, NOtre Dame is the one job he has always said he coveted.  I think he will wait and see what happens there in a first year coaches fate, with him waiting in the wings.  Notre Dame hired Lou Holtz, when he had a checkered past........I his past has no relelvance on how I view him.  Great coach, but also took over great programs who had hot bed recruiting in state.  He would have to work at here, and I don't see any money that would lead him to try this.  Arizona St, yeah.  Texas, California, and Arizona have great amount of talent and he could get them without much time spent.

Tom Herman would be an upgrade, but he rubbs his assistants the wrong way.  Hard guy to work for, and play for.  With that being said, he reminds me of Bo a little bit and I think we need that again to some degree.  Not the rude BS, but a tough SOB whose players all love him no matter.  Coastal Carolina coach might be ok, but reminds me of Frost with his gimmicky offense.  I think by now we can see that to win in the Big 10 we have to be physical and uppercut the oppenents.  No more dancing.  Power Football.  Choices are limited, but I think they are out there.  I would love Troy Calhoun.  Recruit to that kind of offense and tweak it some with some passing, but when ever they play a big time program, they come close to winning with there roster.  It has its place yet.

• Plus1 2

10 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Tom Herman would be an upgrade, but he rubbs his assistants the wrong way.  Hard guy to work for, and play for.  With that being said, he reminds me of Bo a little bit and I think we need that again to some degree.  Not the rude BS, but a tough SOB whose players all love him no matter.  Coastal Carolina coach might be ok, but reminds me of Frost with his gimmicky offense.  I think by now we can see that to win in the Big 10 we have to be physical and uppercut the oppenents.  No more dancing.  Power Football.  Choices are limited, but I think they are out there.  I would love Troy Calhoun.  Recruit to that kind of offense and tweak it some with some passing, but when ever they play a big time program, they come close to winning with there roster.  It has its place yet.

I think we'd win out against Arizona to get Urbs.  Chadwell would be a good get IMHO.  His offense is not a gimmick.  I think it would work well in the big.  It's a triple option off of RPO.  He's run it for quite a while.  Has a history of rebuilding programs and has been a coach at numerous spots and levels.  Runs a lot of 20/21 personnel.   I think he could modify that to use a "bigger" back in his schemes.  Be new scheme to the B1G.  

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, admo said:

Urban reminds me of Art Briles.  Great football coaches!, but once the s#!t gets discovered behind closed doors, it's a mess for everybody.  Who wants to clean that up anymore?  Be associated with it? 

To me it is not worth it.  

I’m not a fan of urban but it’s not even worth the comparison. Briles should never be allowed near football again. 

• Thanks 3