Dan Patrick Show: SOURCE links Urban Meyer to *POSSIBLE* upcoming head coaching vacancy at Nebraska

19 hours ago, lo country said:

Possibly true.  BUT OSU (granted talent level) has not appeared to miss a beat when his assistants move up.  Might be able to attract Herman as OC/HC in waiting.  Patrick was probably reading this board!

Oh yes.  It would be worth it for the year or two.  Just to get the program on the right track.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

16 hours ago, mrandyk said:

I'm completely out if Urban came to town. Character is worth something. Proved himself to be an absolute POS at Florida, at Ohio State, and even in the NFL. I don't need a saint, but I'm not giving my money to satan.

I tune into football with the hopes and dreams of winning and excellence.  If I was seeking moral guidance I'd go to church more often

• Haha 3

What does everyone think about the traction that is being gained about Urban Meyer coming to NU possibly? I really want Scott to be the one but recent history doesn't point to him being the one. Urban has baggage but a lot of insiders say it may become reality. What say you?

Edited by Mavric
Merged threads
  • Haha 2

16 views so far and no replies? It's just a feel out of if he would be accepted by the base or not. Personally I'm tired of NU getting their teeth kicked in by the press and fans and big 10 teams. Ya I get it they only lost by 3. But I feel we need to do something drastic to turn things around.I feel that we need to open the purse strings and get somebody to bring us back to prominence before we go completely go to non relevance.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Cornbred said:

16 views so far and no replies? It's just a feel out of if he would be accepted by the base or not. Personally I'm tired of NU getting their teeth kicked in by the press and fans and big 10 teams. Ya I get it they only lost by 3. But I feel we need to do something drastic to turn things around.I feel that we need to open the purse strings and get somebody to bring us back to prominence before we go completely go to non relevance.

Well I will say that a lot of people want to win but at what cost??? Urban Meyer does have a track record to win but has made poor judgement calls as well. For me I think that Scott Frost turns it around and I know I know yes he has had 5 years to turn it around but I  think we still control our narrative. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
3 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Well I will say that a lot of people want to win but at what cost??? Urban Meyer does have a track record to win but has made poor judgement calls as well. For me I think that Scott Frost turns it around and I know I know yes he has had 5 years to turn it around but I  think we still control our narrative. 

I’ve seen quite a few names thrown out and as many opinions pro and con about each one.  It’s not a slam dunk and none are ideal.  Nobody is perfect.  Every coach has his or her flaws.  

For me, the bottom line most absolute need in a coach for NU, at this time and under the present circumstances, is a top notch football mind with a lengthy, proven record of success at the top tier level of cfb.  This should include a good record of winning vs top notch competition, exceptional judge of talent, strong understanding of quality football across all three phases (Off, Def, STs), and the highest available national name and brand recognition for immediate recruiting and player retention.   Scheme and style are less important as a great coach is a great coach be cause he understands it in all aspects.  He needs to relate well with the media and fans and athletes but it’s not as much that he is liked personally as he is respected for his football coaching acumen and leadership.  

At this point, DONU is teetering on the ledge and easily could fall out of sight if a major course correction by a real professional at the top of the profession is not found.  I am no expert on all the coaches but I can say very confidently that Urban Meyer is one of the very best ever. His achievements at multiple schools is hard to match.  He’s available. Is he at all interested and able?  Idk.  Would he cost big bucks?  Most likely. Would he be worth it?  Who knows but I am confident that he could immediately boost DONU back to the forefront of cfb unlike any time in the past 20 years.  

His health is a question but at 58 ish, he should have a good 5-8 years left and more perhaps.  Plenty of time to restore NU to its rightful place amongst the top ten.  

Price is not really an option.  Whomever takes over, has a monumental task to right things and quickly.  Transfer portal is a open door to fixing the talent deficiencies in certain spots and depth of prime time players. 

He also is free of the baggage of existing staff, contracts, recruiting obligations etc to another school. He knows Big Ten. Media. Experienced.  Football wise.  

For existing staff, even Frost if he were willing to accept an alternative role at NU, could be considered for retention.  He may want to look nationwide to build a top tier staff.  They is expected. 

Bottom line, he checks every box imo.  I get the critics of some of personal ‘issues’.  I am not sure exactly what’s true, accurate and fair. People make mistakes. Everybody does. It’s the repetition thereof that one must be wary of.  

There's the old saying “Beggars can’t be choosers.”   I’m not sure we are full fledged beggars but we are close.  Neb football has major problems and losing is becoming the norm. The trend has been downward for 20 years.   The end of the line is a train wreck and we can see it from.  We need a great fb engineer to save us.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Meyer is probably the “source” of these rumors or someone associated with him to stir up interest in his behalf.

Personally, I’m opposed to the idea of his coming here. It was said that Alberts had legitimate options last year and to Osborne’s urging ultimately decided to give Scott another opportunity to right the ship. 

I can see the appeal in Urban Meyer but for me that which doesn’t outweighs positives. 

• Plus1 2

When he left Utah and we thought he was coming here, I was excited until he said he wanted to have the option to leave,  if the Notre Dame job opened up. I guess i was spoiled by Bob and Tom being loyal Husker coaches, so it didn't have the same appeal to me, as it started out as.

I really don't want him here, but that's just me. 

I pray Scott can turn it around. 

GBR!!!

• Oh Yeah! 1