Dan Patrick Show: SOURCE links Urban Meyer to *POSSIBLE* upcoming head coaching vacancy at Nebraska

10 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

It's obvious that Nebraska writers don't want him, so they're doing everything they can to convince the public and Trev and Urban himself that they won't want it, either.

Exactly especially when they come up with names and he isn't even on their list. I can understand if you don't want him but as long as he is out there and available (not coaching) he will always be an option for anybody. 3 National Championships tends to show them you know how to get to the mountain top.

10 hours ago, admo said:

Urban Meyer is 58.  

Nick Saban is 70.

Bingo. There’s not another coach out there that could turn this awful program around. He’s won championships. In the Big Ten. Want Matt Campbell or the likes? Cool. As long as you don’t care about wins cuz those coaches won’t trailer in good players

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, ndobney said:

Cause he is one of less than a handful of coaches that can go anywhere he wants and win. he’s on the same level as Nick Saban. If you want national championships or even a hope of sniffing a college playoff birth he is your guy. There are a lot of other good candidates capable of making Nebraska a 9 win football program, but if you want the chance to be a national contender again he’s the only option out there

5 hours ago, UncleTito said:

Bingo. There’s not another coach out there that could turn this awful program around. He’s won championships. In the Big Ten. Want Matt Campbell or the likes? Cool. As long as you don’t care about wins cuz those coaches won’t trailer in good players

The bolded parts are just silly. Every coach that has ever turned a program around or won a championship was at some point a coach who had not yet done those things like a Matt Campbell. I get that people think Urban would be a savior for Husker football, but the idea that he's the only coach who could possibly do it is just dumb.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

The bolded parts are just silly. Every coach that has ever turned a program around or won a championship was at some point a coach who had not yet done those things like a Matt Campbell. I get that people think Urban would be a savior for Husker football, but the idea that he's the only coach who could possibly do it is just dumb.

Matt Campbell with a record of 34-44 isn't the one to get it done either. We need some one who has already proved that they can do it.

10 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

You are right that every highly successful coach has to cut his teeth somewhere and stumble a time or two. For every middle aged coach who finally steps up to the top shelf and turns a program into a winner there are 30 who never move past a.600 record. A legacy coach only comes along once or at most twice a decade. I trust Trev to do the background checks and make sure Urb is willing to stay till the program gets on its feet (minimum 3 years and hopefully 5) and has a successor in place to make a smooth transition.  

27 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

You're welcome to that opinion, but it has nothing to do with the point I'm making in the post you replied to.

My point was that he could do it immediately. Which kind of makes your point moot. We need someone here with national visibility to right the ship in the very, very near future.

10 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

You are right that every highly successful coach has to cut his teeth somewhere and stumble a time or two. For every middle aged coach who finally steps up to the top shelf and turns a program into a winner there are 30 who never move past a.600 record. A legacy coach only comes along once or at most twice a decade. I trust Trev to do the background checks and make sure Urb is willing to stay till the program gets on its feet (minimum 3 years and hopefully 5) and has a successor in place to make a smooth transition.  

I'm not a fan of hiring Urban Meyer, but I can understand that point of view. It's the inane posts that nobody else can possibly succeed that I'm criticizing.

Just now, Cornbred said:

My point was that he could do it immediately. Which kind of makes your point moot. We need someone here with national visibility to right the ship in the very, very near future.

Like I said, that's your opinion and that's fine. The fact is that other coaches could also succeed. Saying that other coaches cannot succeed and only Urban could is ludicrous.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

I'm not a fan of hiring Urban Meyer, but I can understand that point of view. It's the inane posts that nobody else can possibly succeed that I'm criticizing.

I can't honestly say I am enamored with the Urban mystique. The more I think about it I find my dislike of him was always more that he developed nearly invincible teams that were well coached in football fundamentals.....and the Huskers haven't been. If I remove my jealousy then I would love for him to coach Big Red. I doubt he had more players at Florida who were arrested than any 5 or 6 year period than what Tom Osborne did (or were questioned and released to Tom's custody). We just didn't hear about it often in those days. Urban is no saint don't get me wrong. As long as he understands that this is his chance to clean up his act and that the local media would love a good "Urban Meyer in a pickle of his own making" then he would do well and keep his nose clean. If Urban truly wants to coach I fear Notre Dame will have a coaching vacancy soon and I don't want to say "What if.......

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

We dont question that another coach can't win here we question any coach other then Urban Meyer turning us back into a powerhouse program.

It's simply not true. Coaches not named Urban Meyer have won championships at lots of schools including at Nebraska. Saying that Urban is the ONLY coach that can do it is absurd. It's starting to sound more like a cult than a coaching discussion.