Dan Patrick Show: SOURCE links Urban Meyer to *POSSIBLE* upcoming head coaching vacancy at Nebraska

32 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Yes bc of the early signing period. 

Ok, then I agree that Urban is indeed one of the only candidates not currently coaching and therefore available now.

But that's more of an argument for hiring ANY coach now instead of at the end of the season. I disagree that hiring a coach now is going to be much better than hiring a coach after the season because one early signing period is relatively minor compared to getting the right coach for the next 4+ years.

3 hours ago, RedDenver said:

The bolded parts are just silly. Every coach that has ever turned a program around or won a championship was at some point a coach who had not yet done those things like a Matt Campbell. I get that people think Urban would be a savior for Husker football, but the idea that he's the only coach who could possibly do it is just dumb.

You’re right. I meant no other coaches that are available or would leave and could turn it around in very short order. I do believe that. I didn’t type clearly what I was thinking. 

30 minutes ago, UncleTito said:

You’re right. I meant no other coaches that are available or would leave and could turn it around in very short order. I do believe that. I didn’t type clearly what I was thinking. 

Fair enough.

I don't think Urban can turn this around in a single season and that he won't be at Nebraska for more than 2, so I'm not a fan of hiring him. Plus he's got a lot of off-field baggage. If he gets hired, I'll hope for the best and cheer like I would for any coach, but I think the Huskers need someone who can rebuild this program from the ground up over several years.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Fair enough.

I don't think Urban can turn this around in a single season and that he won't be at Nebraska for more than 2, so I'm not a fan of hiring him. Plus he's got a lot of off-field baggage. If he gets hired, I'll hope for the best and cheer like I would for any coach, but I think the Huskers need someone who can rebuild this program from the ground up over several years.

Its not necessarily about just rebuilding but sustaining success to become a top 10 program year after year.

18 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Its not necessarily about just rebuilding but sustaining success to become a top 10 program year after year.

I agree, and it's why I'm not a fan of Urban since he's likely to bail on us. It's always possible he doesn't and stays to finish the rebuild, but for all of the positives about Urban Meyer, he's not known for sticking around.

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I agree, and it's why I'm not a fan of Urban since he's likely to bail on us. It's always possible he doesn't and stays to finish the rebuild, but for all of the positives about Urban Meyer, he's not known for sticking around.

Very true but I feel that he would have Nebraska up there as a high ranked team if he were to bail and he would bring back relevance to the program.

3 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Very true but I feel that he would have Nebraska up there as a high ranked team if he were to bail and he would bring back relevance to the program.

I think this is a ground up rebuild that's going to take years, so Urban won't be around long enough. All of us are just guessing though.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I think this is a ground up rebuild that's going to take years, so Urban won't be around long enough. All of us are just guessing though.

But I feel that we don't have years for a slow build up. If this program keeps wandering in the wilds like we have for the past 20 years we will most definitely be an after thought to anyone under the age of fifty. If we aren't already there. Apathy will be rampant and the base will be meh. As the saying goes "need to strike while the iron is hot" go out and get the best of the best. Our brand is teetering on the verge of irrelevance and once that precipice is breeched it will take an act of God to get us back to contention. My .02

6 minutes ago, Cornbred said:

But I feel that we don't have years for a slow build up. If this program keeps wandering in the wilds like we have for the past 20 years we will most definitely be an after thought to anyone under the age of fifty. If we aren't already there. Apathy will be rampant and the base will be meh. As the saying goes "need to strike while the iron is hot" go out and get the best of the best. Our brand is teetering on the verge of irrelevance and once that precipice is breeched it will take an act of God to get us back to contention. My .02

You hit it on the nail. Heard Nebraska is trying to get the Kansas coach. Just lost for words.

27 minutes ago, Cornbred said:

But I feel that we don't have years for a slow build up. If this program keeps wandering in the wilds like we have for the past 20 years we will most definitely be an after thought to anyone under the age of fifty. 

That... doesn't matter.

Baylor was an afterthought before Briles. Kansas was an afterthought before Mangino. Clemson was an afterthought before Dabo. What was Ole Miss before Freeze? Who cared about TCU or Boise before Patterson and Petersen respectively got them to the top of the mountain? 

It's so weird that people are so concerned about this when we're still currently packing out 90k for a team that's won 16 games in five years, and had 2 out of 3 losing seasons right before that. So what if the right coach has to build for four years and people's attention wanes further? If the coach is good, they'll develop a good team, and then the attention and interest will come right back.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1