Dan Patrick Show: SOURCE links Urban Meyer to *POSSIBLE* upcoming head coaching vacancy at Nebraska

3 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

Would you rather play in Lincoln Nebraska or Tempe Arizona?  Would you rather recruit players to Lincoln or Tempe?  Right now Arizona St would be much more attractive in all areas.  Golfing weather, recruiting, living, and Herm Edwards even has this team winning some games.  Plus, no pressure to win 10 games!  The one constant here is our fanbase wanting 10 wins.  We better understand that we need to win 6-7 games a season first, then maybe we get 8-9 wins and be happy with that.  Dn't get me wrong, we all want relevance and wins again, but baby steps first.

WIth Nil and the portal, I think most of us would rather take a chance on Tempe, ARizona.  Realisticallly, Urban can most likely name his school, and Nebraska just doesn't seem high on the radar. 

Don't forget, NOtre Dame is the one job he has always said he coveted.  I think he will wait and see what happens there in a first year coaches fate, with him waiting in the wings.  Notre Dame hired Lou Holtz, when he had a checkered past........I his past has no relelvance on how I view him.  Great coach, but also took over great programs who had hot bed recruiting in state.  He would have to work at here, and I don't see any money that would lead him to try this.  Arizona St, yeah.  Texas, California, and Arizona have great amount of talent and he could get them without much time spent.

With all due respect, wtf r u talking about lol.  Perhaps im missing the sarcasm but theres no way in hell arizona st is a more desirable job lolol.  

• Plus1 5

I’m glad to see this. We need to look at all options and it starts with big names sitting on the sidelines like Urban, Stoops, Petersen…I even saw someone throw out Tressel. Good, look at them all and figure it out. These guys also give you an opportunity to secure early vs waiting for another coach who’s season may not end until Dec or Jan.

Nebraska is a way better opportunity than AZ State. The PAC 12 is unravelling while the B1G is key to the future of college football. Anyone able to bring back Nebraska to glory will have a much better legacy than winning with AZ State. 

1 hour ago, mrandyk said:

I'm completely out if Urban came to town. Character is worth something. Proved himself to be an absolute POS at Florida, at Ohio State, and even in the NFL. I don't need a saint, but I'm not giving my money to satan.

I would have some major conflicts staying on as a fan. I'd probably find some way to justify it, as Urban seems like he's more of an a$$h@!e than a monster, but it'd take some mental gymnastics for me personally.

• Plus1 1

Urban Meyer would be a slam dunk hire. I think the challenge of bringing back a blue blood CFB team like Nebraska is what would ultimately lure him here. We have a lot to offer. My own personal opinion is I realistically don’t  see him coming here. I honestly don’t think he could handle the pressure. 

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, Street Novelist said:

I'd much rather have a coach that could potentially win 10-11 games per season, change our recruiting profile and get us talked about on the national stage again, who has a tendency to look the other way and occasionally bend the rules; as opposed to a nice coach, whom everyone likes, runs a program Mr. Clean would be envious of, but almost never has a winning record, with a bowl game once every 4 or 5 years.

I think age is beginning to take its toll on some Husker fans. There was plenty of s#!t that went on during Osborne's tenure. Y'all have just conveniently decided to forget it.

Thanks a lot. Now I have an image of Mr. Clean (my emphasis) in my head coaching on the sidelines! ;)  Imagine the pressers...Clean this up, clean that up. We shined in some areas while others we were pretty grungy. Something just didn't smell right. And such.  

Sort of corny, I know...Attribute it to the age factor!

25 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I honestly don't see Trev Alberts hiring Urban Meyer. 

Neither do I.

Trev's only real hire that I remember was that Dean Blaize dude who was a big deal in hockey.  So the track record is there of getting a big name but Urb checks a few boxes that I think would scare Trev.  

41 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Neither do I.

Trev's only real hire that I remember was that Dean Blaize dude who was a big deal in hockey.  So the track record is there of getting a big name but Urb checks a few boxes that I think would scare Trev.  

Which was a legit fantastic hire for UNO Hockey. 

• Thanks 1

I don't like Meyer as a person, but as a coach I would take him. I would hope that he would leave in 2-3 years. That would minimize the trouble he would cause. But in that time he would bring the team back to the top 15 at least. The coaches that follow him (other than Florida) tend to do well also. These are win win situations.

Now if Frost can turn the ship around, that's even better. We wouldn't have to worry about all of the extraneous stuff.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

This is exhausting. #1 There is no such thing as a slam dunk hire. Scott was a slam dunk, Pelini was a slam dunk, and you look around CFB all sorts of so called slam dunks fizzle. Look at Herman, OBrien, Weiss, Franklin, etc. So many slam dunks have crashed and burned its asinine to think any single coach would have anymore success than the last.

The truth is there is something broken in Nebraska athletics that goes well beyond the head coach. Maybe it's the money, maybe it's finding players who know what real work looks like and are willing to do it, maybe it's boosters and their demands, maybe it's all of the above. Whatever it is, changing coaches will not fix it without finding the root and cleaning out the rot. I fear Nebraska athletics has become too institutionalized, too bureaucracized to find its way again. 

• Plus1 5