Dan Patrick Show: SOURCE links Urban Meyer to *POSSIBLE* upcoming head coaching vacancy at Nebraska

In this thread we've got discussion about high quality assistants & coordinators being brought in by a high profile coach.

Isn't that what we just did nine months ago? I mean I know there are several guys that would be get-able that would be better than Whipple if you just threw money at them.

Talent wise, yeah. You bring in a name like Meyer and you're hauling in top 10 QB's & skill players pretty much instantly. But talent is not the problem that's keeping our current team from winning nine games a year, it just isn't.

It would always help to have more but that isn't the problem.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Undone said:

In this thread we've got discussion about high quality assistants & coordinators being brought in by a high profile coach.

Isn't that what we just did nine months ago? I mean I know there are several guys that would be get-able that would be better than Whipple if you just threw money at them.

Talent wise, yeah. You bring in a name like Meyer and you're hauling in top 10 QB's & skill players pretty much instantly. But talent is not the problem that's keeping our current team from winning nine games a year, it just isn't.

It would always help to have more but that isn't the problem.

It is the problem, but not at the positions you said.  Skill position recruiting has never been the issue.  We must recruit, and develop, lineman.  That is the problem here.  That is largely why we lost last Saturday, and it is why Big Ten teams will continue to push us around the rest of the year.  Other things are issues like S&C, the refusal to actually tackle in camp etc, but our main problem is the lines.  Which is the top thing you need in football. 

• Plus1 3

@runningblind: I hear you and you make a good case.

I've done research before on the level of talent (referring here just to the recruiting ranking sites) that Wisconsin hauls in on their front seven. People will say "you can't go by that," but we're on a message board so what else can we go by, realistically?

They're not hauling in a higher average level of talent than we are. I like going by 247's numbers. Here are their starting defensive linemen according to 24/7 Sports:

-Rodas Johnson: 3 star, .8858

-Keeanu Benton: 3 star, .8453

-Isaiah Mullens: 3 star, .8614

I pulled up Wisconsin because they run a 3-4 and much more specifically because their defense basically never sucks.

Would Ty Robinson not have worked out if they had hauled him in? I really doubt it.

• Plus1 1

Nebraska's got three primary issues that are holding it back right now. I'm not pro-Urban only because the issues wouldn't be solved immediately and he hasn't been in it for the long haul anywhere he's gone. 

1. S&C needs a complete overhaul and a 5+-year runway to develop players. I'm not an expert here but that seems to be the consensus among those that are. Urban tried to bring in Chris Doyle at Jax (which would be an A+ hire on paper and a bad hire based on the reaction he got from the players) so he probably has a good sense of what succeeds. His longevity here is a knock against him so I feel like he would be a wash. There are other candidates that would be here to see it through.

2. Recruiting - our classes have been fine but they haven't stayed. Transfers-out have killed depth (see the WRs, OL, and DL). It's easy to portal out of this but recruiting has changed significantly since Urban left OSU and I wonder how he'd be able to handle it. Again, there are guys we could hire that are currently dealing with this at their own programs. There's also the fact that Urban never had to keep his players from transferring to a program with a chance to win a title because he was on the better end of that. At OSU Urban had the luxury of being able to tell kids to go if they wanted. We don't have that.

3. Our coach can't manage a lead. If Frost had the ability to sit on a two score lead late his record would be 21-24 and we'd have gone bowling twice, so he'd possibly be a .500 coach after the UND game. Urban is a great game manager but we have a shot at a dozen others that are too.

The question (even if urban is in play, which he's not) is would we want to roll the dice and potentially have to strip it down to the studs when he gets sick of playing in the Guaranteed Rate bowl and wants to return to a contender? Or do we achieve those same results with someone who's willing to commit? Because if Urban can prove himself here there's a high likelihood he dips for greener recruiting pastures as soon as he can wash his reputation.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not saying we would get Meyer or that I even want him here, but he would be a good get. Again, if Frost can right the ship, I would rather get someone who is stable and runs an offense more conducive to the BIG. Maybe  even more important would be someone who can build a defense that is consistent. 

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

This is exhausting. #1 There is no such thing as a slam dunk hire. Scott was a slam dunk, Pelini was a slam dunk, and you look around CFB all sorts of so called slam dunks fizzle. Look at Herman, OBrien, Weiss, Franklin, etc. So many slam dunks have crashed and burned its asinine to think any single coach would have anymore success than the last.

The truth is there is something broken in Nebraska athletics that goes well beyond the head coach. Maybe it's the money, maybe it's finding players who know what real work looks like and are willing to do it, maybe it's boosters and their demands, maybe it's all of the above. Whatever it is, changing coaches will not fix it without finding the root and cleaning out the rot. I fear Nebraska athletics has become too institutionalized, too bureaucracized to find its way again. 

Then it needs burnt to the ground.

And start over,  just like a controlled burn in a CRP field.

• Haha 1