North Dakota - What did we learn?

admo

1 hour ago, Gorillahawk said:

Frost needs to let his position coaches and OC decide who plays and when. I'm afraid he can't stop getting too involved in the offense and causing issues

Absolutely.  

Going into halftime, Frost said "the defense is playing good" and then quickly pointed the problems toward the offense having issues. :blink:

Sorry, Coach, but the 1st half problems WAS the defense.  North Dakota owned the time of possession by far, moving the ball and getting 1st downs.  All half.  

So, if the defense was not a problem, then why not force more punts?  Force more 3 and outs?  Tackle better?  Defend rollout passes - against a QB who most people can throw farther left handed?  

Dang, North Dakota's QB looked like Nebraska's defense didn't bother him for a second.

I know the Husker D had some good plays sporadically in the 1st half, but the blackshirts stayed on the field (similar to last week) and could not get stops. 

The last drive of the first half?  It seemed like North Dakota lazily took 5 minutes off the game clock, and knew they could score once they got around the 2 yard line.  Because, it's not like they were getting stopped.

Offense a problem?  Pffft yeah right.

14 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Yant back in the doghouse?  0 plays this week after being the #2 back last week.

Ervin got a random carry in the middle of the 3Q after standing on the sideline for 2.5 hours.

Rahmir got 2 or 3 offensive snaps?

I have no problem letting the two best guys play, and to me it looks like Grant and Allen are the two best.

• Plus1 2
18 minutes ago, mwj98 said:

We cant tackle. LB’s cant scrape. #28 is a liability. He is not a FBS linebacker. Defense needs to be overhauled. Glad #42 was out. Both #42 and #28 need blackshirts taken away. #72 may be strong, but doesnt understand football. He is a mess. #99, #82 smh. Damn shame. Transfers didnt show up. Tommi Hill cant talk trash at all. He cant cover. OU will mash us. #10 is a beast. 

Amen! 

Not necessarily learned in this game alone, but reaffirmed that controlling the clock and tempo will be the key to a successful or unsuccessful season. Another game with the opponent controlling the pace of play and eating time of possession followed by our insistence on quick plays and high tempo. Burns out the defense and we are gassed by the 3rd quarter. 

For reference, the Minnesota defense faced a total of 33 snaps in their entire game. We had faced 33 snaps today by 3 minutes left in the 2nd quarter. Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin play complimentary football. It’s boring and ugly, but it is incredibly effective with their offenses sitting on the ball and their defense getting off the field quickly. We must embrace slowing tempo and giving the defense a break. We haven’t had that understanding since Pelini’s final couple of years. Can’t leave the defense out to dry all season long. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
14 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I have no problem letting the two best guys play, and to me it looks like Grant and Allen are the two best.

For the record I’m fine with playing only the top 2.  

It’s just odd how a) our #2 back game 1 doesn’t get a snap game 2 b)they fluffed Rahmir all fall camp and he can’t get on the field c) they give Ervin 1 carry in a very random spot 

20 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Grant and Allen are the best 2 backs. Frost comments after the game are weird he almost sounds guilty that a guy like Johnson got replaced.

I admire the guy's loyalty, but it's not necessarily the best quality to have when you're in charge of what should be a meritocracy.

Johnson had a lot of chances and never came close to having the kind of game Grant had today.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Go Furself said:
Frost keeps talking about getting Rahmir Johnson involved; PUT RAHMIR JOHNSON AT SLOT RECEIVER!!!!! So obvious!

Are you wanting validation?

You’ve posted this exact same thing in 3 of your 5 total posts.

Maybe Frost should put him in at slot?

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I admire the guy's loyalty, but it's not necessarily the best quality to have when you're in charge of what should be a meritocracy.

Johnson had a lot of chances and never came close to having the kind of game Grant had today.

What I learned is what i said was coming true with Grant. That he is well on his way to rushing over 1000 yards. Funny thing is everyone laughed at that prediction. Regardless if you say the o-line is trash he makes plays. Anyone else believe that as well now?