North Dakota - What did we learn?

admo

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

What?

You pooch kick there everytime. You kick it through the end zone they take it on the 25. You let them fair catch it they get it on the 25. Pooch it and make them try to return it for minimal gain. They had a horrible formation setup with hardly anyone in the middle. We would have had them pinned deep if he would have kicked it past the frist defender.

What?

Should have kicked it off, like, normal.  Then play some defense.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Eh, they got it on about the 30 yard line, which is five yards farther out than they would have gotten it had we kicked it through the end zone.  If it hits that guy a little more square it could have easily bounced right back to us.

But it was supposed to be a hard squib to the corner so they couldn't fair catch it.  It just hit the guy in the leg instead of skidding past.

I didn't like the one last week at all.  This one was a pretty good strategical move.

I understood the difference after it was recovered (31 yard line - no big loss).

I felt (and still feel) that it should not have been put in today's game plan.  Later in the season, sure.  But for all the BS from last week, I don't think it was smart to attempt a kick in the dirt that luckily scooted around.  IMO it was too soon and not wise.  I want last week's baloney to go away.  And now we are talking about an ugly pooch kick after taking a lead in the 3rd QTR, once again.  

But no worries, I vented, I'm done, I'm over it.

17 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Not sure if this was posted, and I know some do not like the writer, but this was pretty spot on for me.

I wish I had a job that pays me a couple million a year and when I do s#!tty over the span of that I could just say, "ok, for real now."

I have zero sympathy for ANY college coach that makes great coin...for coaching a f#&%ing game (you ain't curing cancer here or helping your fellow man) and then cries when they don't get the s#!t done. You know what you signed up for. Furthermore, you could stop coaching right now and provided your not a complete imbecile with your finances, likely to never have to "work" again.

I put a majority of college coaches in the same bin I put actors. Entertain me...don't lecture me...cause you get wayyyyyyy to much $ for doing a job that, at the end of the day, has no value beyond 1-3 hours of me wanting to lay around and watch some s#!t.

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

I learned if we can get out of our own way we have good enough players to beat N Dakota

whoever it was calling plays, we finally decided to smash a physically inferior team and we ended up controlling them. Thank God

if we improve tackling and use blitzes correctly/timely we do have some decent speed and playmakers on D. Open space tackling and coverage…get that s#!t together, now. 

Grant is gifted and plays f’ing hard, Allen as well. A good 1-2 punch, Allen had the fresh legs and closed em out. 

CT is pretty good, just give him any protection. 
loved the option/designed runs. Should do that 3-5 times a game to keep defenses honest. 

o-line is mammoth. Despite too many wiffs, I did see some nice pancakes and finishing blocks on Grants run. 

I didn’t learn it today, already knew it:  we gotta just knuckle down and control the ball, hit 3-5 big plays a game and just try to win, even if ugly 

I stopped watching the game at halftime and got a bunch of work done around the house. First time I've ever done that in my 39 years.

The trenches on both sides are abysmal. Imagine what Minnesota and Wisconsin are going to do to us? We'll have 2 offensive drives those whole games! Iowa can't even score a TD against an FCS team and we'll make them look competent.

10/1 can't get here soon enough.

• Plus1 1

The weirdest thing was Frost saying at halftime he was disappointed with the offense. Look at the time of possession - the defense couldn’t get off of the field against this level of competition. He seems to have it out for Whipple. I think he sees Whipple as being his replacement and it’s driving him nuts to be so uninvolved in playcalling. (He tried to throw him under the bus last week also).

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

What I learned is nothing new as well.  I watched a coach who can't stay out of the way.  He obviously was told to hire an offensive coordinator.  He can't get out of his own way.  At this point let your coaches, coach the team and just run the team as a CEO.  Trev must have demanded that Frosty turn over the offense to someone else.  Also its really obvious that we couldn't find anyone else last season to come here.  This is a lame duck season for Frost, and he is coaching like he already knew that entering.

We don't have consistent line play on either side of the ball.  Casey is a fine QB, but he also makes some questionable decisions.  Grant is good RB who recognizes that he has to run outside because we can not block.  Those runs were all him today.  They won't work against OU or the majority of the Big 10, but were good enough to win today. 

Confidence meter is very low right now that we win 3 games this season.  I think we will win 3 to 5 games this season because I don't know if Purdue is really any better than we are and I don't know about Indiana or Rutgers as of right now.  Illinois is not looking like a real powerhouse but if they run the ball efficiently they might run on our d all day long.  So even though I could see a path of us winning 6, thats it.  We won't win more than 6.  Right now I would lay money on the under of 6.

1 hour ago, Nebhawk said:

What I learned is nothing new as well.  I watched a coach who can't stay out of the way.  He obviously was told to hire an offensive coordinator.  He can't get out of his own way.  At this point let your coaches, coach the team and just run the team as a CEO.  Trev must have demanded that Frosty turn over the offense to someone else.  Also its really obvious that we couldn't find anyone else last season to come here.  This is a lame duck season for Frost, and he is coaching like he already knew that entering.

We don't have consistent line play on either side of the ball.  Casey is a fine QB, but he also makes some questionable decisions.  Grant is good RB who recognizes that he has to run outside because we can not block.  Those runs were all him today.  They won't work against OU or the majority of the Big 10, but were good enough to win today. 

Confidence meter is very low right now that we win 3 games this season.  I think we will win 3 to 5 games this season because I don't know if Purdue is really any better than we are and I don't know about Indiana or Rutgers as of right now.  Illinois is not looking like a real powerhouse but if they run the ball efficiently they might run on our d all day long.  So even though I could see a path of us winning 6, thats it.  We won't win more than 6.  Right now I would lay money on the under of 6.

Purdue is going to eat this team alive. 

We have no pass rush. AOC might throw for 400+. 

We need to enjoy next weekend because I’m not sure there’s another win out there. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1