North Dakota - What did we learn?

admo

1 hour ago, Huskinator said:

That burn to win. They seem almost clinical 

You have to know what wins feel like to have that burn. These guys don't win so they don't have that passion.  When you lose at the rate they do, you have to become clinical. It's the best you can do when the other best option is to not show up at all. They have to be numb to exist at this point. Which is why chronic losing is so hard to manage or change. For me, it's the core argument going against Frost sticking around. They boys can't lie to themselves anymore about being a great team with some bad breaks that just needs to put it together next week. When week after week look the same, the lie stops working internally.  The only fix is huge change, if only to at least reset the lie.

30 minutes ago, CheeseHusker said:

I can't imagine there'd be much inspiration to play for a coach who might be fired in four weeks.

Great point.  You'd figure they would be playing inspired on both sides trying to save their coach.  Much like the Huskers did in the bowl game against Michigan when Bo was the interim coach.  Or in TO's last game against Tennessee.....Like dead man walking.  

I liked Dirk's take as well.  A little too late.  This is year 5.  Not year 1 or 2.  

Not apples to apples, but Napier year 1 just beat #7 Utah....

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

North Dakota has darn good fb coach and scrappy team.  Probably fun team to watch.  
i think we could have chance in the MO Valley league to compete but we could not run the table.  Ugh.  

This team won today.  But ND fans I bet had a whole lotta fun.  Probably their disappointed because woulda, coulda, shoulda.  This was like a heavy weight fight (without any contenders) that ended with both guys beaten and bloodied, and by a unanimous decision, the favorite got the decision.  Took 15 rounds. Both fighters got multiple knock downs.  It was unorthodox.  Neb had some flurries that scored but got stuck on the ropes while ND did bag work on us.  Kind of interesting fight.  Glad we got ducuib

The University of North Dakota is a middle of the pack team in it's own FCS conference. Their coach is literally on the hot seat every year, and it's shocking that he's still there to be honest. 
If Nebraska played the other school in North Dakota, it would have been a blowout. And not in the favor of the Cornhuskers. 
I think Nebraska would finish 3rd in the MVFC, behind NDSU and SDSU. Not bad! good enough to make the FCS playoffs

• Fire 1

I learned that it’s still hard to truly learn anything new when you’re playing against an FCS team other than it was a desperately needed W for SF.

He’ll likely get another much needed win next week.  

I also found out I’m heading down to Lincoln to see the Wisconsin game in November so now I’ll be making it to 3 games this season.  

At least we have CT and Trey Palmer.

More Ajay Allen please.

• Oh Yeah! 1

I'm hoping our new guys (players and coaches) learned that 4th quarter great play is not truly "finishing the game" unless you've played the other three quarters in the same manner.  It felt like catch up for three quarters then we finally broke it.  Against North Da-freaking-kota. 

Play the whole game!  Oklahoma is licking their chops.

• Fire 1
10 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

The weirdest thing was Frost saying at halftime he was disappointed with the offense. Look at the time of possession - the defense couldn’t get off of the field against this level of competition. He seems to have it out for Whipple. I think he sees Whipple as being his replacement and it’s driving him nuts to be so uninvolved in playcalling. (He tried to throw him under the bus last week also).

I don't know that he has it out for Whipple, however, I think he has a blind spot when it comes to Chinander. 

The offense had its warts last year, but did not need a complete overhaul. And while the D was pretty decent last season, its the only season I think we can state that. For the most part this has been an average-at-best D during Frost's tenure. 

While I like the Whipple and Joseph hires, in an alternate universe, I wonder what this team looks like with most of last year's offensive coordinators, a new QB,  and a mostly different defensive staff.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 3
  1. Wynn/Drew > Robinson/Feist. Nash has played alright and gets a few pushes forward. Feist aint it. T Rob average 
  2. Grant is our best RB since Ameer Abdullah 
  3. Chinander doesn't adjust and has our safeties 15-20 yards off the ball. 
  4. Sanford needs to play more. Farmer/Buford look lost half the plays. 
  5. Our tackling was still abysmal  

Chins also sits in base on obvious running plays. We only have 2 true DL and 2 ILBs. It's a hat on hat and makes it tougher than it needs to be. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2

A "win is a win" is bulls#!t. The second best team in N Dakota had a chance down to the end. A few late scores does not, in any way, indicate that they are anywhere close to the old Nebraska. A few bright spots but not many. I cannot see a route to anywhere close to greatness under Frost.

• Fire 1

8 minutes ago, CyHawk said:

A "win is a win" is bulls#!t. The second best team in N Dakota had a chance down to the end. A few late scores does not, in any way, indicate that they are anywhere close to the old Nebraska. A few bright spots but not many. I cannot see a route to anywhere close to greatness under Frost.

You're on the wrong board. This ain't the Iowa game discussion.

• Haha 2