North Dakota - What did we learn?

admo

On 9/4/2022 at 6:49 PM, Undone said:

don't think Thompson is really that much better of a passer than Martinez. He does make quicker decisions in general though, so he gets the edge by a small margin. But he's either overthrown or underthrown some pretty key passes in two games and those are sometimes mistakes that end drives.

So far, it appears to me that Thompson is a better short game passer and 2AM is a better long ball passer.  

27 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I think if or when he is able to step up into the pocket to make a throw that is what is going to separate him and Martinez. Imo the o-line hasn't really given him much time to sit back there and pick apart the defense.

We've only played two games so it's maybe not fair to judge Thompson's long ball ability just yet. But for a QB, Adrian is a really strong guy. The stronger your arm is, the less you're struggling when launching a long ball and that tends to (but not always) help your long ball accuracy.

Thompson isn't nearly as big & strong as Adrian. This is pretty much just message board fodder stuff though for the most part.

But, Thompson has either overthrown or underthrown some passes on deep routes where his guy could have made a good play on the ball if it had been more accurate so far. And I don't think that's an unfair assessment, that's just looking at the footage.

• Plus1 3

I learned that you can read the Adidas writing on the pylon in the southwest corner from the camera in the northeast part of the stadium. My son is a HuskerVision intern and this is his fall job. He wanted to be on the field with a camera but the opportunity to operate a $250k camera trumped that. IMG-20220903-WA0002.thumb.jpg.82ca5880954143a470e8533c53dc7c97.jpgIMG-20220903-WA0001.thumb.jpg.28605851338d053046a7c5dc72282ede.jpg

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2

So, after 2 games and 30 new players to integrate within the team, including an Ireland trip, we are comparing someone who makes quick decisions on pass plays, throws it quickly with zip, and to a catchable spot with trust........ with a 4 year starter who scrambled around every other pass play, bc he couldn't make a quick smart decision, and turned many pass play calls into running to the sideline, or slow developing loft passes??

I am beginning to underestimate some of yalls thought process for comparing quarterbacks in the pocket.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Fire 1
14 minutes ago, admo said:

So, after 2 games and 30 new players to integrate within the team, including an Ireland trip, we are comparing someone who makes quick decisions on pass plays, throws it quickly with zip, and to a catchable spot with trust........ with a 4 year starter who scrambled around every other pass play, bc he couldn't make a quick smart decision, and turned many pass play calls into running to the sideline, or slow developing loft passes??

I am beginning to underestimate some of yalls thought process for comparing quarterbacks in the pocket.

Yeah, I am not getting the disconnect here.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

So far, it appears to me that Thompson is a better short game passer and 2AM is a better long ball passer.  

Mostly agree, although overall Casey's placement of throws in general leaves a lot to be desired so far. Even many of his crossing routes/curls/outs are not put in a great spot - mostly close enough so far but a lot of adjustments on the parts of the receivers.

But his long ball is definitely suspect, and his Texas tape showed that. I remember distinctly thinking so watching the youtube video of all of his Texas passes.

6 minutes ago, admo said:

admo you do realize you're criticizing people comparing them, but you also just compared the two?

As far as your comparisons, there's some factors at play besides the skills of the two in a vacuum. One of them being Casey is playing in Whipple's offense, which has a much larger focus on quick drop backs/routes/passes, compared to Adrian playing in Frost's that has much more long developing plays.

• Plus1 1