North Dakota - What did we learn?

admo

6 hours ago, Undone said:

We've only played two games so it's maybe not fair to judge Thompson's long ball ability just yet. But for a QB, Adrian is a really strong guy. The stronger your arm is, the less you're struggling when launching a long ball and that tends to (but not always) help your long ball accuracy.

Thompson isn't nearly as big & strong as Adrian. This is pretty much just message board fodder stuff though for the most part.

But, Thompson has either overthrown or underthrown some passes on deep routes where his guy could have made a good play on the ball if it had been more accurate so far. And I don't think that's an unfair assessment, that's just looking at the footage.

Yeah, We never saw Adrian the turnover machine over\under throw anyone...right ?  

• Plus1 1

16 minutes ago, UniversalMartin said:

Yeah, I am not getting the disconnect here.

Thank you!  CT threw 2 passes away (smart), a RB dropped a dump pass, a TE dropped a pass in his hands....... Which means he was 14-17 or 19..... how can anyone expect more than that is mind boggling......:blink:  

I get it tho.  Some ppl are conditioned that the QB has to run the ball - if he sits in the pocket, waiting and waiting - and do everything on every play.......... except when it doesn't work  most games

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Gage County said:

I learned that you can read the Adidas writing on the pylon in the southwest corner from the camera in the northeast part of the stadium. My son is a HuskerVision intern and this is his fall job. He wanted to be on the field with a camera but the opportunity to operate a $250k camera trumped that. IMG-20220903-WA0002.thumb.jpg.82ca5880954143a470e8533c53dc7c97.jpgIMG-20220903-WA0001.thumb.jpg.28605851338d053046a7c5dc72282ede.jpg

That's pretty BA!.  Congrats to your son.  

2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Mostly agree, although overall Casey's placement of throws in general leaves a lot to be desired so far. Even many of his crossing routes/curls/outs are not put in a great spot - mostly close enough so far but a lot of adjustments on the parts of the receivers.

But his long ball is definitely suspect, and his Texas tape showed that. I remember distinctly thinking so watching the youtube video of all of his Texas passes.

admo you do realize you're criticizing people comparing them, but you also just compared the two?

As far as your comparisons, there's some factors at play besides the skills of the two in a vacuum. One of them being Casey is playing in Whipple's offense, which has a much larger focus on quick drop backs/routes/passes, compared to Adrian playing in Frost's that has much more long developing plays.

No, I am being blunt and don't approve with hearing 2AM is a better passing QB in the pocket than CT.  Or that he has better pocket-awareness.  Or quicker decision making.  Or stronger arm.  Or that 2AM makes better plays for the team, holding onto the ball and scrambling around and around, running for his life when he could have thrown it within the designed pass play.

I am not criticizing people. We see things differently.  I am sorry if I hurt your feelings or anyone else's.  If you want to know how much I appreciated and loved 2AM, look at the previous 4 years.  He was my guy.  But, Thompson is the better QB.  Peace!

14 minutes ago, admo said:

No, I am being blunt and don't approve with hearing 2AM is a better passing QB in the pocket than CT.  Or that he has better pocket-awareness.  Or quicker decision making.  Or stronger arm.  Or that 2AM makes better plays for the team, holding onto the ball and scrambling around and around, running for his life when he could have thrown it within the designed pass play.

I am not criticizing people. We see things differently.  I am sorry if I hurt your feelings or anyone else's.  If you want to know how much I appreciated and loved 2AM, look at the previous 4 years.  He was my guy.  But, Thompson is the better QB.  Peace!

Nobody has made most of those claims.

You certainly didn't hurt my feelings, and if you aren't criticizing others for comparing the two, then you're just being overly defensive of Casey.

The only claim made before your "oh this is what we're going to do to a guy with a new team and going to ireland" bit was that Casey has struggled with the long ball. Then you launched into a diatribe listing all of Casey's strengths compared to all of Adrian's weaknesses.

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Undone said:

Yeah that's exactly wHaT i WRotE!!!!!1

But you did say that.

8 hours ago, Undone said:

But, Thompson has either overthrown or underthrown some passes on deep routes where his guy could have made a good play on the ball if it had been more accurate so far. And I don't think that's an unfair assessment, that's just looking at the footage.

1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

Nobody has made most of those claims.

You certainly didn't hurt my feelings, and if you aren't criticizing others for comparing the two, then you're just being overly defensive of Casey.

The only claim made before your "oh this is what we're going to do to a guy with a new team and going to ireland" bit was that Casey has struggled with the long ball. Then you launched into a diatribe listing all of Casey's strengths compared to all of Adrian's weaknesses.

Then maybe you aren't paying attention, sir.

And completely wrong that (as you said) "Casey's placement of throws in general leaves a lot to be desired so far"

I'm over it.

13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is interesting.

FcErrOUaIAAzARD?format=jpg&name=large

I’m, wow that’s something.  It comparing this years numbers against last years average stats. Maybe it doesn’t matter.  I’d love to see last years team comparison. Since I’m still living in 2021. 

also, love the middle 8 stat. 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is interesting.

FcErrOUaIAAzARD?format=jpg&name=large

Yeah, I mean the defense did the offense no favors the first half.  You only get 4 drive opportunities in 2 quarters when you rarely get the ball back.

But, I think the biggest reason we (as an entire football team) looked so "off" was the Ireland trip.  Even HCSF said the players gave effort, but they didn't look the same (not word for word, but you get the picture).  And CT said he was sick all week.  

It was a short week, long fly back home, different time zones....  and North Dakota had all spring, summer and fall camp to game plan plays and reps against us (their first game).

I am putting this one behind us as an "after Ireland landing" game.  We shall be fine with normal routine at home this week.  

• Oh Yeah! 1
32 minutes ago, admo said:

Yeah, I mean the defense did the offense no favors the first half.  You only get 4 drive opportunities in 2 quarters when you rarely get the ball back.

But, I think the biggest reason we (as an entire football team) looked so "off" was the Ireland trip.  Even HCSF said the players gave effort, but they didn't look the same (not word for word, but you get the picture).  And CT said he was sick all week.  

It was a short week, long fly back home, different time zones....  and North Dakota had all spring, summer and fall camp to game plan plays and reps against us (their first game).

I am putting this one behind us as an "after Ireland landing" game.  We shall be fine with normal routine at home this week.  

Yep….I expressed concern leading up to Ireland that we need to get off to a good start and we had a game the next week and the response was, it’s North Dakota, we shouldn’t have a problem beating them. Well, that’s right, we beat them. But, we also saw some symptoms of the trip. 

Now, we are 1-1 and can have a normal week of preparation. I expect the team to look better. 

• Oh Yeah! 1