North Dakota Post-Game Pressers

Mavric

1 hour ago, Bigred_inSD said:

Cool

20220903_210906.jpg

Yep, I touched on that in a different thread, but good to see it again.  It's a red flag, for a coach who is struggling to be at peace with someone else in command of the offense.  It shows some obvious hints of his own control issues that he struggles to deal with as a head coach.  

He needs to be more concerned and involved with the Defense and the OLine, and less on the offense play calling.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, admo said:

Yep, I touched on that in a different thread, but good to see it again.  It's a red flag, for a coach who is struggling to be at peace with someone else in command of the offense.  He needs to be more concerned and involved with the Defense and the OLine, and less on the offense play calling.

I figured this came up.  Lots of threads and pages to search through. 

IMO There wasnt much difference in offense.  Those points came against a worn out defense.  

Frost's ego is his undoing.  Sucks to see a team fail because the headman wants all the shine 

• Plus1 1
59 minutes ago, Bigred_inSD said:

IMO There wasnt much difference in offense.  Those points came against a worn out defense.  

Frost's ego is his undoing.  Sucks to see a team fail because the headman wants all the shine 

And becomes a sourpuss when "his guys" don't get touches or on the field.  It's like emotional loyalty vs the new group making decisions, but also, who the new guys want on the field to win a game.

19 minutes ago, Bigred_inSD said:

That's reading a ton into it.

There is literally no way to answer that question that people won't make too much of, as you illustrated.  If he says he was still making suggestions - which is the case with most head coaches - people would rip him for not letting go.  

He was just trying to avoid the question.  He doesn't want them to keep asking questions like that because all it is going to do is create more ways for people to try to spin it.  If he tells them he's not going to talk about it, he can keep giving that answer until they quit asking.

• Plus1 7
22 hours ago, Bigred_inSD said:

I really think you couldn’t be more wrong with your last couple sentences. Frost doesn’t want the shine he just wants to win man. In my opinion his ego has nothing to do with it.  I think the issues lies within the fact that he’s often put to much of load on himself because he’s lost conviction and when that happens it’s easiest to fall back on yourself. I struggle with this issue personally in my business every day. Not trusting others with tasks and trying to do it all on my own. I am also wise enough to recognize that this is a sign of a being a poor leader/coach. A great leader will instill his knowledge to his team members and trust them to do what he wants done. I could go on but I truly just think he’s so battered it’s hard for him to be the coach he wants to be right now but he’s working on it.  It’s clear that Frost doesn’t have the same conviction he had his first year here when he was coming off his undefeated season. I hope for his sake (and ours) that he can regain his footing and regains confidence in himself, which will empower him to be a greater leader. But blaming his ego is completely inaccurate and saying he “wants the shine” couldn’t be more untrue. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2

Actually didn’t think about returning from overseas as an issue in what we saw today.  If we beat NW and still won this game exactly like we did it might be talked about more. But since we freakin blew a lead and lost to NW it wasn’t brought up. We just blew a game and then should automatically destroy N Dakota….not so fast. 

jet lag is a real thing. Anyone who has traveled overseas knows it, it’s for real. My parents went to Dublin for the game and on Tuesday I texted my dad how they were feeling, he noted they were fine but just finally getting back on schedule. 

2 days minimum to just go to bed/wake up on a normal schedule. So by Wed  they are feeling “normal”.  That’s like 2-3 days of half assed production. Not an excuse, just a reason maybe. Damn the Dublin Onside. 

Frost can exhale for a win, but good lord he needs to go to bed tonight and sleep. He sounds exhausted. Another week at home to prepare for a decent but inferior foe, I think we look much sharper from the kick next Saturday. 

9 hours ago, Farms said:

I really think you couldn’t be wrong with your last couple sentences. Frost doesn’t want the shine he just wants to win man. In my opinion his ego has nothing to do with it.  I think the issues lies within the fact that he’s often put to much of load on himself because he’s lost conviction and when that happens it’s easiest to fall back on yourself. I struggle with this issue personally in my business every day. Not trusting others with tasks and trying to do it all on my own. I am also wise enough to recognize that this is a sign of a being a poor leader/coach. A great leader will instill his knowledge to his team members and trust them to do what he wants done. I could go on but I truly just think he’s so battered it’s hard for him to be the coach he wants to be right now but he’s working on it.  It’s clear that Frost doesn’t have the same conviction he had his first year here when he was coming off his undefeated season. I hope for his sake (and ours) that he can regain his footing and regains confidence in himself, which will empower him to be a greater leader. But I blaming his ego is completely inaccurate and saying he “wants the shine” couldn’t be more untrue. 

I think that Scott puts too much pressure on himself and tries too hard. From the moment he arrived he had high expectations. He raised the bar excessively  high out of the gate. He's a very determined type of person that believed that he could "make it happen". That's likely served him well in a lot of ways. Forcing things rarely works though. Has he taken opportunities to really reflect?

Being a successful head coach is far more difficult than most of us can fathom. There's a lot more moving pieces to superintend than a position coach. It's like adding drops together then their becoming something out of constituents being combined then managing the mixture.  A chemistry lab of sorts whereupon the parts are functioning as one in sync effective what they do collectively through delegation. It's highly nuanced.  

It was a daunting task to begin with. He walked into a hot mess. He appears in distress. I think that he genuinely cares, doesn't want to let his players down and doesn't know how to remedy what's been plaguing his team. It's a tall order to fill the role of his incredibly successful coach in Osborne. 

Understand, I'm not giving him a free pass. He was ignorant to much of what extent was/is required. The Big 10 will adjust and adapt to us not the other way around. He's made mistakes aplenty. All competitive people "have an ego". But can it be suspended when appropriate, managed? Shining is fine as long as it's secondary to that which supersedes it. And sure, we're feed responses to questions that don't match up with the reality of the situation. It's hard to both deliver the truth and receive it.  

We all have flaws and shortcomings. 

It's an odd phenomenon. Sometimes when we're so close to something enmeshed in it, we can't recognize what's near us required for solving challenges or even having an awareness that they exist. Difficult to see when in "the thick of things". Good coaches are good observers I think. Orchestrators that deliberate a lot and view the larger picture. However much you love or are passionate about something, you have to learn to hold it like a bird in one's hands. Somewhat firmly but free enough for it to breathe and have life otherwise, it works desperately and much less effectively. 

Scott can plea and try to convince however much he wants it to work. More time, etc. It likely won't. It seems that way anyway. 

• Plus1 1

In Casey’s presser in reference to the read option: “Sometimes we call but it, it’s meant to look like an option but it’s just a straight hand off”.

That really doesn’t make sense to me. Why would you run the play and not actually make a read. Are you trying to set up the defense? Just seems dumb if the DE crashes down that you’re committed to handing it off knowing it’s not going anywhere why even make it look like a read?

8 minutes ago, Farms said:

In Casey’s presser in reference to the read option: “Sometimes we call but it, it’s meant to look like an option but it’s just a straight hand off”.

That really doesn’t make sense to me. Why would you run the play and not actually make a read. Are you trying to set up the defense? Just seems dumb if the DE crashes down that you’re committed to handing it off knowing it’s not going anywhere why even make it look like a read?

Yes you call it when you want to set up the actual read.  Keeps your QB from making the wrong read.  CT will eventually take one for a long run and they'll probably just call it a keep and it won't be a read either.  It was open against NW and the first few times against UND