Rumored play calling swap at half..??

1 hour ago, twofittyonred said:

And if true that HCSF took over play calling in the second half, what does that mean moving forward..??

I don't know, but if true, it looks like HCSF hired the wrong guy as OC...Oops! And if true, it's bound to cause some discontent in the locker room - players crave consistency and structure and IF HCSF did take over play calling on Saturday, he likely wrecked both of those things in the minds of many of the offensive players.

Huskers were much more effective in moving the ball in the 2nd half. Maybe Frost and Whipple should swap jobs?

• Plus1 1

I know I've already mentioned this a couple times.  But it just seems unlikely that either Trev or Whipple would have signed off on letting Frost take back the OC job any time he wants.  Even more unlikely Frost is calling Whipple's offense with no experience calling Whipple's offense.  And still even more unlikely that he installed his own offense at halftime.

That being said I'm sure Whipple got a spirited pep talk at half.

• Plus1 6

I know that people are pointing to the QB runs and some orbit option plays as "proof" that Frost was calling those plays.  I am sure those plays never left the playbook, and at halftime the offensive coaches (including Frost) got together and realized that some QB-run game was needed to keep the UND defense more honest.

Regarding "NU called more running plays in the 2nd half" as proof, yeah, Whipple went away from his pass-heavy offense, but NU started wearing down UND, which is WHAT WE SHOULD EXPECT WHEN NU PLAYS AN FCS TEAM.  The frustrating part was that it took nearly 3 quarters for the offensive line to establish some dominance against a middle of the road, lower division team.  The o-line is a mess.  They really miss Noulli, Prohaska isn't nearly healthy enough to be effective right now, and the rest of the guys are just average o-linemen.

• Plus1 5

An article mentioned that Frost had his play sheet out in the second half.  Mentioned he and Whip were in communication as to what they were seeing.  CT mentioned that Frost is big on the "zone read option and that they work on it every week".  CT also had knee and left shoulder wrapped after game.  

Frost can't leave well enough alone IMHO.  He is going to continue to focus on the offense while the D continues to struggle.  I have not read much (probably nothing) about Frost concerned with or working with the defense.

Article here https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/LongFormArticle/Nebraska-Huskers-football-after-win-over-North-Dakota-Fighting-Hawks-Georgia-Southern-preview-192690346/

Scott Frost had his play sheet out in the second half, headset on, seemingly comparing verbal notes with offensive coordinator Mark Whipple between series. Hey, whatever was going on, they got some better results.

Asked about who was calling plays, the head coach said, "I'm not ever going to get into that, but all I'll say is we've got a lot of smart people on the staff and the more we can cooperate the better we're going to be."

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, lo country said:

An article mentioned that Frost had his play sheet out in the second half.  Mentioned he and Whip were in communication as to what they were seeing.  CT mentioned that Frost is big on the "zone read option and that they work on it every week".  CT also had knee and left shoulder wrapped after game.  

Frost can't leave well enough alone IMHO.  He is going to continue to focus on the offense while the D continues to struggle.  I have not read much (probably nothing) about Frost concerned with or working with the defense.

Article here https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/LongFormArticle/Nebraska-Huskers-football-after-win-over-North-Dakota-Fighting-Hawks-Georgia-Southern-preview-192690346/

Scott Frost had his play sheet out in the second half, headset on, seemingly comparing verbal notes with offensive coordinator Mark Whipple between series. Hey, whatever was going on, they got some better results.

Asked about who was calling plays, the head coach said, "I'm not ever going to get into that, but all I'll say is we've got a lot of smart people on the staff and the more we can cooperate the better we're going to be."

There is a big jump to conclusion (where's my mat?) to say "Frost had a play calling sheet in his hand in the 2nd half, and there were more QB runs called, so he must have been the play caller".  I am sure Frost is giving his thoughts to Whipple through the headset during the game, and that can be good and bad.  Frost has a good offensive mind, so I don't have an issue of him giving thoughts to Whipple, at the appropriate times.  However, if Frost did yank play-calling duties (which I still don't think he did) 6 quarters into the season, then that would show Trev that Frost doesn't have the ability to be a "CEO-type" head coach, and he will never be effective in the long-term.

The one thing that is frustrating 2 games into this season, is that Frost has openly criticized the offense to the media, while continually being mum about the defense.  Why hasn't Frost come out and said "Well, we need to do a better job of not letting the opponent sit on the ball for 10+ plays and keep the ball away from our offense" because that would be a valid comment so far this season.  He hasn't done that because he's still trying to protect his "buddies" on the defensive coaching staff, while he's fine with being critical of an OC he didn't know until 9 months ago.

• Plus1 6
  • Fire 2
5 minutes ago, lo country said:

There’s different interpretations of what that statement means. The critical part of me says what he’s essentially saying is “I’m smart. I should be contributing and I’m to be cooperated with”. Or, he’s suggesting that all members of the staff have things to contribute and it should be a collaborative effort. 

The first spells trouble. The other is entirely reasonable and constructive. Anger makes smart people dumb, destructive and certainly not creative. We can hope that what’s meant is the second. 

Despite criticisms, I don’t hate Scott and I’ll take him at his word. At least for now.

7 minutes ago, M.A. said:

There’s different interpretations of what that statement means. The critical part of me says what he’s essentially saying is “I’m smart. I should be contributing and I’m to be cooperated with”. Or, he’s suggesting that all members of the staff have things to contribute and it should be a collaborative effort. 

The first spells trouble. The other is entirely reasonable and constructive. Anger makes smart people dumb, destructive and certainly not creative. We can hope that what’s meant is the second. 

Despite criticisms, I don’t hate Scott and I’ll take him at his word. At least for now.

Since we all know Frost is a narcissist, it is most likely the first of the two scenarios you shared.

Trev should have fired him after last season, and because of that poor decision, both Trev and Frost should be replaced after this season.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 4
40 minutes ago, lo country said:

Frost can't leave well enough alone IMHO.  

So you think seven points and tied with North Dakota at half is "well enough"?

40 minutes ago, lo country said:

He is going to continue to focus on the offense while the D continues to struggle.  I have not read much (probably nothing) about Frost concerned with or working with the defense.

Then you haven't been paying attention.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, The Whale said:

Since we all know Frost is a narcissist, it is most likely the first of the two scenarios you shared.

Trev should have fired him after last season, and because of that poor decision, both Trev and Frost should be replaced after this season.

Both Alberts and Frost should be terminated? A nuclear option isn’t warranted. Is it a ridiculous idea to see what Trev can do for the program?

I know that a lot of people are of the opinion that he never should’ve retained Scott.  I understand that there was cause for doing that although I’m not in that camp.

• Plus1 2

27 minutes ago, Mavric said:

So you think seven points and tied with North Dakota at half is "well enough"?

Then you haven't been paying attention.

Obviously you didn't read my game thread posts.  His offensive genius has led us to the worst 4 years in NU history.  We just fired the entire offensive staff.  Whatever changed in the second half worked.  BUT do I think Frost needs to take over play calling duties? Hell no. I have watched his genius play out for 4 years at NU.    I could really give 2 sh!ts why/what changed  TBH.  I just want to win.  If Frost is starting to get more involved in the play calling, I think that will cause some issues with the team. And not in a good way.  

As to the defense, he has mentioned little.  I haven't heard him saying they need more creativity or ref a lot of smart guys on this staff when the conversation was about the offense.

• Plus1 1

I understand the angst retaining SF has caused for some. Many were ready to move on after last year. To be fair I don't think the pieces have been in place in the four years Scott has been here. We all hoped he could turn a sows ear into a silk purse over night. Scott has never had running backs, receivers and quarterbacks this talented since he has been at Nebraska. The defense is less than effective it seems so if we are going to win games it will have to be the offense.....with an O line that still has issues. We definitely miss Cam and Noueli and I don't think Prohaska is anywhere near full strength. The line will be a work in progress to get them to average. I hope the truth is that Scott and Whip are on the same page and there is not division amongst either of them.