Rumored play calling swap at half..??

14 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

There's no actual evidence Scott took over playcalling. It's just a typical antsy fanbase finding things to be antsy about.

People see the quarterback run twice and us run the football more against an outmanned FCS team and turn it into a mountain of controversy :lol:

Nobody here knows d!(k about what happened between the staff. All we do know is that some adjustments were made in the second half and play selection was definitely one of them; as evidenced by the run it down their throats mentality that won us the game. 

I too can't understand why anybody would be mad at the second half performance, it was almost night and day after we focused on the run. It shows that the staff can adapt and our players are capable of digging themselves out of a real s#!t sandwich to get a win.

And if anyone paid attention they'd realize that we've been running plays from the Frost playbook a fair amount this year (or really plays that both guys had in their books). I think Whip and Frost were in collaboration mode over the summer, and it's going to be fun to watch the rest of the season... If the line can figure their s#!t out.

Ideally this offense should have Frost's run scheme with Whips passing game, and blend that with some more motion for good times.

• Plus1 1

It can be perceived that it’s a sense of desperation, but whatever he did was what a coach needs to do - so I applaud him for that. That’s what a coach should do, like when Zane Zenner was gashing NU years ago…forced Pelini to spike a TO, chew some a$$, fix the D, and then SDSU’s O was shut down.

An attitude and effort adjustment across the board could probably benefit this team more than Xs and Os.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

Not taking away from the rest of your post here, but thats what “great” backs do and will help eleviate stress on the OL from thinking they need to do more than what they can actually accomplish.

Optimistically speaking, that can slow down the game for the OL and improve the team overall.

Oh absolutely. But we will still need a running game that can count on an OL surge for those critical 2 and 3 yard gains. Kinda weird to tell an OL they don't need to worry, their super talented running back will find a way regardless of what they do. 

Just now, Guy Chamberlin said:

Oh absolutely. But we will still need a running game that can count on an OL surge for those critical 2 and 3 yard gains. Kinda weird to tell an OL they don't need to worry, their super talented running back will find a way regardless of what they do. 

I agree with that. I wouldn’t trust our line to consistently push for <3 yards when everyone knows we need just 3yards. When I read that one part of your comment, I see that as a bigger testament to Grant as opposed to a drawback of the OL. He kind of reminds me of a Leveon Bell, the way he can patiently pick a hole and go. If only he had the power to go with it. 

11 minutes ago, lo country said:

I'd like to think that most fans just want to win.  If it's only Whip, great. If Frost takes oven and we win, again great.  If they collaborate, great.  Just win.

Probably most fans just want to win. 

But there is and extremely vocal minority that just want to complain.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
11 hours ago, The Dude said:

...it ... seems unlikely that either Trev or Whipple would have signed off on letting Frost take back the OC job any time he wants. 

Must have been an interesting meeting.  Probably had some film trotted out to show how crappy a play caller Scott is.  Probably had stats.   If not either of those, it was just, "..yer a crappy play caller.  Stop calling plays.  You can't go back.  It's the new OC's job, not yours.  You can't go back to calling plays at any time until we say you can, and that's unlikely to happen because, as mentioned, yer a crappy play caller." 

3 minutes ago, Hagg said:

Must have been an interesting meeting.  Probably had some film trotted out to show how crappy a play caller Scott is.  Probably had stats.   If not either of those, it was just, "..yer a crappy play caller.  Stop calling plays.  You can't go back.  It's the new OC's job, not yours.  You can't go back to calling plays at any time until we say you can, and that's unlikely to happen because, as mentioned, yer a crappy play caller." 

There really weren't very many stats to show the offense was "crappy".  Far from great but generally above average.

I think it's more likely that it was just "the results aren't good enough so there need to be some significant changes moving forward."

31 minutes ago, Mavric said:

There really weren't very many stats to show the offense was "crappy".  Far from great but generally above average.

I think it's more likely that it was just "the results aren't good enough so there need to be some significant changes moving forward."

Not to mention Frost was pretty good at setting plays up and working tendencies to get what he wanted from a defense. The biggest issue on O has been, and continues to be, the poor play by the O line.

But with the hire of Applewhite, Mickey, and Whip coaching QBs it's become apparent that we needed upgrades there as well to get to another level. We just apparently didn't get a big enough upgrade where we needed it most.

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, ZRod said:

The biggest issue on O has been, and continues to be, the poor play by the O line.

Hmm.  If that were it, and just it as "the biggest issue," it seems fixable.. without having to carve up SF's contract etc. 

I think it's quite evident that there are myriad issues on all squads, although ST shows some good improvement.  Mavric's "the results aren't good enough so there need to be some significant changes moving forward" is obviously what's up 'tween The Powers That Be and SF.   And that's why I posted the absurdity of SF's play calling convo with them;  that is a locker room exchange, not a meeting with the AD etc. 

16 hours ago, The Whale said:

My understanding is that HCSF was supposed to transition into more of a hands-off, big picture, CEO-like role (like most major college football programs operate). Grabbing the playbook from your new OC in the 7th quarter of the new season would be the opposite of that.

Frost never said he was going to be hands off. Fans who think that he ever would be aren’t living in reality. 

• Plus1 1