Rumored play calling swap at half..??

The defense of Scott Frost, from both fans and Scott himself, puts the focus on offensive play calling (interloper Whipple) and away from some horrendously bad defense (Loyalist Chinander). If allowed to play from ahead, Nebraska will always flip over to a  run first offense, like most teams do, but the defense kept letting North Dakota back in the game. In both halves Grant salvaged the running game by bouncing out of holes that weren't there.

I'm cool if Frost is inserting himself more in the offense and it's a legit collaboration. He's the head coach: if he has no opinion or input then he's only responsible for things like team motivation and calling timeouts. But I thought it was both telling and bush league when he threw his own offensive staff under the bus on national TV while his defense was demonstrably worse.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, TonyStalloni said:

I understand the angst retaining SF has caused for some. Many were ready to move on after last year. To be fair I don't think the pieces have been in place in the four years Scott has been here. We all hoped he could turn a sows ear into a silk purse over night. Scott has never had running backs, receivers and quarterbacks this talented since he has been at Nebraska. The defense is less than effective it seems so if we are going to win games it will have to be the offense.....with an O line that still has issues. We definitely miss Cam and Noueli and I don't think Prohaska is anywhere near full strength. The line will be a work in progress to get them to average. I hope the truth is that Scott and Whip are on the same page and there is not division amongst either of them. 

I think the reality is Frost and Co were not ready to the HC at a major program.  Yes, he captured lightning in a bottle in year two at UCF, but he did not exactly inherit a team devoid of talent or knowing how to win.  I don't think it should take year 5 to finally find a bell cow RB.  Is AG that good?  Applewhite that good?  Unsure why he has worked out and the the previous 4 years save Oz, nada at the RB.  Attrition for sure with Bell, Washington etc, but why no one in the wings?  No development?  Did Frost not see the lack of improvement in the RB room under Held?  

I am sure that there are learning curves with the new scheme.  Hard to gel when your HC is on a flaming hot seat and short leash.  Probably a crazy amount of tension regardless if there is truly and stress between staff members.  The desire to win and win now has got to be over whelming.  When CT mentioned the TD pass to Garcia-Castaneda was the first time he's thrown that route to that receiver.  Was unaware that Garcia-Castaneda had even come into the game.  Not reading anything in to this, but to say the stress of so many new faces (players/staff), trying to win now and merging two philosophies has got to be hard.  And confusing.  

I am a run the ball guy, but I really like the passing game under Whip.  I like the designed runs for CT.  I'd limit 3-5 per game max to keep him healthy.  I think he will take a beating in the pocket with our OL.  Maybe what is actually happening is a merging of the 2 philosophies.  Find a way to "be creative" in the offensive scheme and actually have an effective running AND passing game.  Unfortunately, barring some miracle the changes have come a few years too late.  Other teams have turned around and showed improvement at a much quicker pace.  And in all honesty, I believe no one wants Frost fired.  I think most agree he should be fired.  

Just now, southernoregonhusker said:

Did Frost hire Whipple or is this a Bob Diaco situation?  

I don't think we will ever know TBH.  I'm sure it is hard for Frost.  BUT he knows the B1G, knows the players and has been calling plays for 4 years.  I'd think as the OC Whip (or any new one) would seek out advise from the HC and other staff to get a system that can win.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know how many of you have actually coached but it's not uncommon for the head coach to suggest play calls.  Even defensive coaches who are paying attention might make a suggestion or two.  "Hey you just ran this play and they bit on the whatever, call the whatever to counter that".  It might not happen immediately but that's how the second half might have come about.  NW is probably better than UND and they moved the ball fine.  So it's just a matter of execution.  If you aren't executing well find some other plays UND hasn't seen.  Next week will be better.  Chins up 

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Did Frost hire Whipple or is this a Bob Diaco situation?  

Definitely a Diaco situation. Anybody that thinks for a minute that Frost gave up play calling of his own volition is nuts. And he is egotistical and unhappy enough to cast aspersions on Whipple’s play calling anytime things don’t go perfectly. It’s obvious to me that Frost sees the writing on the wall and has for quite awhile. It’s the only explanation that would allow him to question the offense while the defense is obviously the much larger problem.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1
49 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Definitely a Diaco situation. Anybody that thinks for a minute that Frost gave up play calling of his own volition is nuts. And he is egotistical and unhappy enough to cast aspersions on Whipple’s play calling anytime things don’t go perfectly. It’s obvious to me that Frost sees the writing on the wall and has for quite awhile. It’s the only explanation that would allow him to question the offense while the defense is obviously the much larger problem.

For full disclosure I thought the D last year was good (improving).  Then I read these stats....(copied from Huskermax)

28 points scored by NEB. In the Big Ten, that usually means victory. Since 2018, B1G teams are 198-41 when scoring 28 pts or more vs Power 5 teams (83%). 
NEB is 8-10 in such games (44%). Indiana, at 64%, is the next closest B1G team

6 B1G teams have a winning percentage > 90% when scoring 28 or more points vs.

P5 teams: Wisconsin: 18-0 (100%) Northwestern: 10-0 (100%) Ohio St.: 34-1 (97%) Penn St.: 15-1 (94%) Iowa: 15-1 (94%) Michigan: 21-2 (91%)

Nationally, P5 teams are 928-281 (77%) in games when they score 28 pts or more vs. other P5 teams.

NEB's ranks 60th out 65 teams.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, blinky said:

It was clear in the stadium that frost was more involved in the sideline huddles at the beginning of every new drive. More than once Whip was on the sideline while Frost sent the offense in during the second half. 

That’s called Desperation. Not a good look and will cause turmoil in the locker room. Can this guy do anything right?

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

In both halves Grant salvaged the running game by bouncing out of holes that weren't there.

Not taking away from the rest of your post here, but thats what “great” backs do and will help eleviate stress on the OL from thinking they need to do more than what they can actually accomplish.

Optimistically speaking, that can slow down the game for the OL and improve the team overall.

• Plus1 4
3 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Not taking away from the rest of your post here, but thats what “great” backs do and will help eleviate stress on the OL from thinking they need to do more than what they can actually accomplish.

Optimistically speaking, that can slow down the game for the OL and improve the team overall.

Spot on.

I do feel for Grant. If he played for Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Iowa, or Michigan State, he’d probably be 1st Team All Big-Ten this season.

I just hope his offensive line doesn’t end up getting him hurt this year.

16 minutes ago, The Whale said:

That’s called Desperation. Not a good look and will cause turmoil in the locker room. Can this guy do anything right?

So let me get this straight. The situation is the offense was floundering so Frost took a more active role and they scored 31 points compared to 7 in the first half and you are gonna still turn that into a bad thing. I guess he should have done nothing so there wont be imaginary turmoil that you made up

• Plus1 6
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

So let me get this straight. The situation is the offense was floundering so Frost took a more active role and they scored 31 points compared to 7 in the first half and you are gonna still turn that into a bad thing. I guess he should have done nothing so there wont be imaginary turmoil that you made up

My understanding is that HCSF was supposed to transition into more of a hands-off, big picture, CEO-like role (like most major college football programs operate). Grabbing the playbook from your new OC in the 7th quarter of the new season would be the opposite of that.

6 minutes ago, The Whale said:

My understanding is that HCSF was supposed to transition into more of a hands-off, big picture, CEO-like role (like most major college football programs operate). Grabbing the playbook from your new OC in the 7th quarter of the new season would be the opposite of that.

Well first we really dont know how much control he took. And second whatever happened worked so who cares. Do you think these other coaches that you claim are all CEO type just never have input on play calling? Id be willing to bet and overwhelming majority of them have a huge say in play calls on one side of the ball at least. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1