Should BOTH Frost and Alberts be replaced?

The Whale

50 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Not exactly. Why do you think hiring a Top 10 HC is even an option? Name the coach who would find the Nebraska job preferable to where they are now. Add 2 million to their salary and does it change the attraction? Maybe. Maybe not. Top coaches often use that kind of offer to leverage a raise to stay put. 

The trick has generally been to hire the guy before he gets too expensive and doesn't want to budge. 

Dabo Swinney was hired as the interim HC at Clemson from Receivers Coach with no HC experience (hello there Mickey Joseph) 

You get Urban Meyer when he's coming from Utah, not Florida or Ohio State.

You get Nick Saban coming out of Michigan State with a 6-5, 6-6, 7-5 and 9-2 record. 

You get Brian Kelly just when he turned Cincinnatti around.

You hire Kirby Smart without any HC experience. 

You promote Lincoln Riley without any HC experience. 

Harbaugh and Cristobal went to Michigan and Miami only because they were homeboys, like Frost. 

When the AD announced Dabo, some of the Trustees had no idea who he even was.  AD Terry Don Phillips took a huge chance and the rest is history.  That guy is out there.  The good thing is if Frost is fired, simply going 6-6 or even 5-7 first year could be seen as a huge improvement.  I'm biased but a guy like Chadwell would work for me.  Norvell in year 3 has FSU at 2-0 with a big win over LSU last night.  Napier had UF in game 1 knocking off #7 Utah.....

Maybe we save the millions on a HC to put into the coordinators.  Napier hired Corey Raymond as the CB/Asst HC defense...

Here we go again comparing us to Florida again.  Mullins left the cupboard full at Gator U.  They competed with Bama each year he was there.  Stop with comparing our situation to that of the Gators.  I do however like the Dabo comparision, but he was Clemsons OC before and arranged a coup to get the HC job. 

Ponder this as well.  If us as a fanbase are talking about Urbs past history and reputation, what in the world do you think  parents and recruits would say about him?  High schools coaches?  Its one thing to take your baggage to Ohio St and or Florida and still get those prizes, but Nebraska?  Give recruits more reason not to come here?

Chadwell is Frost.  He is coaching at a similiar school, with simiiar plays and players.  Haven't we learned that style won't work in the Big 10?  Those players are not big enough, strong enough or fast enough for the Big 10.  I don't think Chadwell accomplishes any thing here that Frost hasn't. 

Bob Stoops woudn't come here if he wouldn't go to Florida last year.  He was asked.  He is the AD in waiting at OU.  Already works in the office some.  Bill  O'brien at Bama.  He is the OC now.  Former Penn St head guy before Franklin.  He took that program out of the Sandusky saga and won right away.  HE is the one for a quick turnaround.  He now has NFL head coaching experience as well.  I would take a chance on that guy first.  IF Matt Rhule flopps at the Panthers, he would also be a top prospect.  Turned Baylor back into a contender in a short time.  There are two names that would have a chance to turn things around, that have done so.  NO one thought O'Brien would do what he did at Penn St right after the Sadusky BS. 

38 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Really?  Only talking Nebraska here- we are a doormat of a football program in the B10. We have been since we joined. We have never consistently been competitive in this conference. Conferences have identities and we thought we would join be able to set the “tone” of the conference. These are my opinions because I thought we were superior back in 11 or 12,  and I’d bet you thought so too.  We need someone to finally transition us to the conference we’re in.  No more “making them adjust to us” crap. I’m not even sure if I know what B10 football is, because I’ve never seen anything work in it. 

but I was wrong. Sec has its own brand of football, and probably the best brand. But the B10 has one to. It’s a gritty grind of football only teams in cold climates can play.  We have to have someone that understands how the Big plays. Because this fast-fix crap that Frost has been playing is predictable and easily beatable. We can’t even beat effin Minnesota. Minnesota.  And should Iowa win, it will be the 8th straight time. 

time to sit at the adult table. No more struggling with Minnesota, Illinois, and for the love of God, Iowa. 

Your initial assertion was that we NEED someone with past experience having success in the B1G

Ohio State didn't seem to think past experience having success in the B1G was important when they hired Meyer.

Michigan didn't seem to think past experience having success in the B1G was important when they hired Harbaugh.

Michigan State didn't seem to think past experience having success in the B1G was important when they hired Mel Tucker.

Penn State didn't seem to think past experience having success in the B1G was important when they hired Franklin.

Minnesota didn't seem to think past experience having success in the B1G was important when they hired Fleck, or Kill before him.

Those all seem to be working out pretty good. So again, what actual data are you basing your opinion on that a successful B1G guy is the only person who can succeed.

3 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Oh no. You learned me. I bow to you.  I and my coworkers use the term semantics everyday at work.  Maybe an entire department/industry is using it wrong.  Thanks for the heads up. 

Just because something is your job doesn't mean you're good at it.  Just ask Scott Frost.

• Oh Yeah! 2

54 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Really?  Only talking Nebraska here- we are a doormat of a football program in the B10. We have been since we joined. We have never consistently been competitive in this conference.

There is a significant difference between your first statement - which is laughably false - and your second, for which an argument can be made.

You are embarrassing yourself with your dogmatic insistence that everything is the worst thing possible.  Take a breath.  Take a break.  Try to deal in some semblance of reality.

9 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Your initial assertion was that we NEED someone with past experience having success in the B1G

Ohio State didn't seem to think past experience having success in the B1G was important when they hired Meyer.

Michigan didn't seem to think past experience having success in the B1G was important when they hired Harbaugh.

Michigan State didn't seem to think past experience having success in the B1G was important when they hired Mel Tucker.

Penn State didn't seem to think past experience having success in the B1G was important when they hired Franklin.

Minnesota didn't seem to think past experience having success in the B1G was important when they hired Fleck, or Kill before him.

Those all seem to be working out pretty good. So again, what actual data are you basing your opinion on that a successful B1G guy is the only person who can succeed.

Every team you listed has been in the conference since it was born, or close to. And yes I know that penn stare is relative new Maybe you didn’t get my point, my bad on the articulation. We are NEW to the conference  we do not have the benefit of growing and evolving with it. We have never been successful for more than one season in it.  Therefore in my opinion, we need the cliff notes version of a coach. Someone who doesn’t have to spend a season or three trying to figure out how to play in the climate and the culture. 

A turn key coach 

20 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Here we go again comparing us to Florida again.  Mullins left the cupboard full at Gator U.  They competed with Bama each year he was there.  Stop with comparing our situation to that of the Gators.  I do however like the Dabo comparision, but he was Clemsons OC before and arranged a coup to get the HC job. 

Ponder this as well.  If us as a fanbase are talking about Urbs past history and reputation, what in the world do you think  parents and recruits would say about him?  High schools coaches?  Its one thing to take your baggage to Ohio St and or Florida and still get those prizes, but Nebraska?  Give recruits more reason not to come here?

Chadwell is Frost.  He is coaching at a similiar school, with simiiar plays and players.  Haven't we learned that style won't work in the Big 10?  Those players are not big enough, strong enough or fast enough for the Big 10.  I don't think Chadwell accomplishes any thing here that Frost hasn't. 

Bob Stoops woudn't come here if he wouldn't go to Florida last year.  He was asked.  He is the AD in waiting at OU.  Already works in the office some.  Bill  O'brien at Bama.  He is the OC now.  Former Penn St head guy before Franklin.  He took that program out of the Sandusky saga and won right away.  HE is the one for a quick turnaround.  He now has NFL head coaching experience as well.  I would take a chance on that guy first.  IF Matt Rhule flopps at the Panthers, he would also be a top prospect.  Turned Baylor back into a contender in a short time.  There are two names that would have a chance to turn things around, that have done so.  NO one thought O'Brien would do what he did at Penn St right after the Sadusky BS. 

“Urbs” would have no issue getting players to Nebraska.  He has a history of getting players to the pros and that’s what many of these top tier kids care about.   He also has a history of winning at the highest level at multiple collegiate stops.  Another big factor that big time recruits look for.   

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Good points.  I'd say to Napier inherited a team in steady decline under Mullen.  Each season, overall record worse than the last.  I will give you the talent was there.  I think Napier will get them much better than Mullen had them.  Regardless, beating Utah week 1 with new scheme and staff was a hell of an opening day.   

Dabo was the WR coach/recruiting coordinator prior to being named the interim HC in 2008.  No idea how/why Phillips picked him.  Dude chose wisely.  And showed some stones.  I do not think a lot of folks anywhere thought he'd become one of the best coaches in the business.  I'd like NU to find "that guy".  

I wouldn't be so quick to pass on Chadwell or say he'd get results like Frost.  13th year as a HC.  Spread (triple) option with a lot of RPO.  Downhill running hame with primarily 20/21 personnel.  Nice backfield with AG and AA in the backfield.    We are also thin at TE....Did run about twice as many times.  Their QB threw about 60 times less than AM, but had approx the same amount of yards.  AM was 14-10 TD/INT and McCall was 27-3.  Has 1 RB over 1000 yards and 2 over 500.  And the kids he could get to NU would be different than what he got at Coastal.  Much like the kids OSU pulls would not necessarily be the ones Urb would pull to NU as an example.

O'Brien/Rhuke would be interesting and good gets IMO.  O'Brien steered the ship that by all accounts was sinking and on fire.  Plus knows the B1G and SEC.  Big boy football.  Rhule produces what he did last year, he will be available.  Living in the Carolinas, his style works well in college (Temple/Baylor), but hasn't shown to work yet in the NFL.  He got both Tempe and Baylor respectable and then some.

You look at Frosts one phenomenal season, his college career and coaching at Oregon and I do not think anyone predicted he would be one of the worst coaches in college football.  

I'd think that prior success at "building a program better" and multiple years and spots (influences/exposure) might be a good predictor of future success.

Maybe need to bring Frank Back on staff for a game and then let him retire as a Husker to get rid of the curse:D

6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

There is a significant difference between your first statement - which is laughably false - and your second, for which an argument can be made.

You are embarrassing yourself with your dogmatic insistence that everything is the worst thing possible.  Take a breath.  Take a break.  Try to deal in some semblance of reality.

What are you talking about?  Being a doormat?  How are we anything but?  I think we’re close to be under .500 in the conference and we’re in the West.

and what is so offensive about what I’m saying?  And why are you snipering on everything I post today?  How is hoping that IF there is to be a coaching change 1. It’s someone that has no previous ties to the program  and 2. It’s someone that has experience in the conference as a coach going to cause me embarrassment?

is this going back to the semantics debate? I inferred that “ the no empire evidence to suggest this works” statement is the same as experiment. I think it was correct to infer from Alberts words that Frosts contract restructuring  was an experiment.  I can see how you were embarrassed by trying to be technically correct and then realizing you weren’t.  But you were right- he did not say experiment, he inferred it. 

Maybe you should take a break. I’m sure reposting things to the extent you do is quite exhausting 

14 minutes ago, lo country said:

Good points.  I'd say to Napier inherited a team in steady decline under Mullen.  Each season, overall record worse than the last.  I will give you the talent was there.  I think Napier will get them much better than Mullen had them.  Regardless, beating Utah week 1 with new scheme and staff was a hell of an opening day.   

Dabo was the WR coach/recruiting coordinator prior to being named the interim HC in 2008.  No idea how/why Phillips picked him.  Dude chose wisely.  And showed some stones.  I do not think a lot of folks anywhere thought he'd become one of the best coaches in the business.  I'd like NU to find "that guy".  

I wouldn't be so quick to pass on Chadwell or say he'd get results like Frost.  13th year as a HC.  Spread (triple) option with a lot of RPO.  Downhill running hame with primarily 20/21 personnel.  Nice backfield with AG and AA in the backfield.    We are also thin at TE....Did run about twice as many times.  Their QB threw about 60 times less than AM, but had approx the same amount of yards.  AM was 14-10 TD/INT and McCall was 27-3.  Has 1 RB over 1000 yards and 2 over 500.  And the kids he could get to NU would be different than what he got at Coastal.  Much like the kids OSU pulls would not necessarily be the ones Urb would pull to NU as an example.

O'Brien/Rhuke would be interesting and good gets IMO.  O'Brien steered the ship that by all accounts was sinking and on fire.  Plus knows the B1G and SEC.  Big boy football.  Rhule produces what he did last year, he will be available.  Living in the Carolinas, his style works well in college (Temple/Baylor), but hasn't shown to work yet in the NFL.  He got both Tempe and Baylor respectable and then some.

You look at Frosts one phenomenal season, his college career and coaching at Oregon and I do not think anyone predicted he would be one of the worst coaches in college football.  

I'd think that prior success at "building a program better" and multiple years and spots (influences/exposure) might be a good predictor of future success.

Maybe need to bring Frank Back on staff for a game and then let him retire as a Husker to get rid of the curse:D

I am just thinking that we are not looking in the right places for this opinionated segment.  Realistically.  I would take Urban.  I don't think Urban will be an option.  He once said that Notre Dame was his dream gig.  I think ND will give Freeman 2 or 3 years max.  With the expanded playoffs now, ND can not afford to fail even one year.  They now become almost a lock to reach college playoffs every season now.  ND in my opinion becomes a great job once again if not the best job in the country going forward.  Saban will be retiring someday, and that lifts the rest of the country into a better place.  SEC dominance won't be as big as it is right now.  Chadwell might work, but I have watched his teams play some and question if his scheme would do anything against the Big 10 especially when the weather changes to 30-40 degrees with some snow and rain.  As for Notre Dame again, they are living large again.  They don't need any conference affiliation and yes they are a lock for the playoffs going forward.  This is going to become a sought after job once again.  Brian Kelly is probably wondering why he went to LSU now.  With the playoffs now being at 12, this changes things for some of these jobs.  It gives even the New Big 12 some hope, especially if they get Utah and Colorado too.  Oregon might now even look at the Big 12 as a lock for the playoffs.  Nothing is sacred now.  No one knows whats coming next.  I would be in favor going back to the Big 12 myself.  I think that if they have stability, going forward they have a good chance to remain in the picture.  With us, they would definately have a better chance.  Thats just my deal.  Don't ever see us going back, but right now would be the time to do so if ever.  These conference all will make money going forward, and the Big 12 has rights to the BCS money.  Thats a different subject for a different day!

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Any coach from here on out needs successful coaching experience in the big. Not playing experience, coaching. I can only think of one right now. 

1 hour ago, krc1995 said:

Therefore in my opinion, we need the cliff notes version of a coach. Someone who doesn’t have to spend a season or three trying to figure out how to play in the climate and the culture. 

A turn key coach 

bret-bielema-shirtless.jpg

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3