Should BOTH Frost and Alberts be replaced?

The Whale

It really isn’t just his business.  There is no “business” as serious about winning football than the NFL.  But in this age when everything you do is immediately publicized, the actions of players and coaches is a tremendous factor.  In the Midwest and South there are still many households with traditional values.  A coach that acted like a teenager with a female that was not his wife, in a bar, instead of traveling with his team after a loss, is not going to go over well with many moms.  He also was reported to have created a toxic environment with the Bengals.  I am not saying he can’t coach.  But he will also win at all costs and this might be a very tough place to do just that.  

• Thanks 1

Trev inherited a truly dysfunctional "family".  It'll take a complete decline in athletics to get his seat hot. He did well to engineer the buyout clause.  Showed perspective new coaches that NU will give you all the support to succeed to include giving you ample time to fail.  He also manufactured a way to "keep" the sell out streak alive.  If Frost doesn't improve and stays (which IMHO is a real possibility) there might be some hard questions.

As to Urbs, a chance to rebuild his reputation, might be "cheaper" as his baggage is becoming more known, his ego (pretty sure most at his level have one) would love to be "that guy" who did what no one else has done and that return NU to the top or at least top 10 program....

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2

We would definitely win the off season headlines.  I am not saying it wouldn’t be interesting.  I think an expectation he would/should do it in the amount of time he was going to championships at UF or OSU might have many with a fire Urban hashtag and screen name before too long.  

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, The Whale said:

Really? (BTW, I love the personal attacks, keep showing who you are)

Trev Alberts was AD at tiny UNO, AND he played for TO, so OF COURSE he’s qualified to lead a Big Ten athletic department. (No other Big Ten school would have hired him).

Scott Frost was Head Coach at nothing UCF, AND he played for TO, so OF COURSE he’s qualified to lead a Big Ten football program. (Maybe 2-3 of the Big Ten bottom dwellers would have hired him, but none in the top 70% of the conference would have).

We might actually have the dumbest f***ing fanbase, donor class, and regents in the nation (on a relative basis). Nebraska is a big time school in a big time conference with a football program history that is STILL revered by most who follow college football.

Bottom line, we deserve the best for our state’s #1 entertainment export — and stewards who understand and embrace this.

*All bolded above are my emphasis

The comments here are littered with attacks, contradictions and rather wild assertions! 

Who is deserving of the best??? The dumb fan base? All the foolish donors and regents? Our incompetent,  privileged athletic director? On and on.  In another words, a very slim minority correct? Only the brightest, intellectually superior among us are worthy of cheering, obviously...It's said Nebraska is a big time university. Then, virtually everything about it is delivered a vicious slap to the face.

There are lots of good-hearted folks that love this football program. Those in charge and not.  For them to be called empty-headed and most everything leading it wholly inferior is fascinating. 

Regardless what the opinion is of coach Frost, it's accurate to say that more than a handful of schools were interested in him in (and outside of) the conference at that time. What was achieved at UCF made a favorable impression among quite a few. I'm sure others had reservations.    

Excuse me I'm sorry, insulting about everyone who cares about Nebraska football seems to me rather foolish. It does give rise a degree of attention though. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, The Whale said:

Scott Frost was Head Coach at nothing UCF, AND he played for TO, so OF COURSE he’s qualified to lead a Big Ten football program. (Maybe 2-3 of the Big Ten bottom dwellers would have hired him, but none in the top 70% of the conference would have).

Do you even follow college football? Two seasons removed from a winless season, Scott Frost lead "nothing" UCF to an undefeated season including a bowl win over the SEC's #2 team and a #6 national ranking. That year he become the hottest hire in college football, including an offer from Florida that probably outweighed Nebraska's.  He got the UCF job with a solid resume working with Chip Kelly at Oregon, and other stints with some of the best coaches in football. Nebraska hiring him was a no-brainer. 

There is zero argument that Scott isn't working out as planned, but you may want to ditch the silly hindsight and cherry picking if you want to be taken seriously. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 4
14 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Do you even follow college football? Two seasons removed from a winless season, Scott Frost lead "nothing" UCF to an undefeated season including a bowl win over the SEC's #2 team and a #6 national ranking. That year he become the hottest hire in college football, including an offer from Florida that probably outweighed Nebraska's.  He got the UCF job with a solid resume working with Chip Kelly at Oregon, and other stints with some of the best coaches in football. Nebraska hiring him was a no-brainer. 

There is zero argument that Scott isn't working out as planned, but you may want to ditch the silly hindsight and cherry picking if you want to be taken seriously. 

At the time of his hire here, Frost was not a “proven” head coach. He had one good season leading a nothing team from a nothing conference. Hiring him was a huge gamble.

We’re in the Big Ten now, not the Big Eight or Twelve — light years difference. Frost was the wrong hire from Day One.

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Make indignant claims and then get pissy when it's pointed out that you're wrong.  Good effort.

I don't think you know what the word semantics means, if you want to get into semantics.

Oh no. You learned me. I bow to you.  I and my coworkers use the term semantics everyday at work.  Maybe an entire department/industry is using it wrong.  Thanks for the heads up. 

but thanks for doing my research for me. It’s obvious you have lots more time than I do. 

• Plus1 1

45 minutes ago, The Whale said:

At the time of his hire here, Frost was not a “proven” head coach. He had one good season leading a nothing team from a nothing conference. Hiring him was a huge gamble.

We’re in the Big Ten now, not the Big Eight or Twelve — light years difference. Frost was the wrong hire from Day One.

So the answer is "no." You don't follow college football. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2
2 hours ago, The Whale said:

45 minutes ago, The Whale said:

Mark Dantonio had three years experience as a head coach going 18-17 at Cincinnati before being hired by MSU, who is in the top 70% of the conference.

PJ Fleck was head coach at nothing Western Michigan before getting hired

James Franklin only had three years experience at lowly Vanderbilt before getting hired at near-blue-blood PSU

Jim Tressel had never even coached in the FBS and had a 3 win season in year 10 at Youngstown State before he went to OSU

Paul Chryst only had three years experience going .500 at Pitt 

Bret Bielema had zero years head coaching experience 

So sorry but what the f#&% are you talking about? Every head coaching hire except for like 5 people is a huge gamble. Even with experience it's still a huge gamble (Rich Rod at Michigan says hello)

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
10 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Mark Dantonio had three years experience as a head coach going 18-17 at Cincinnati before being hired by MSU, who is in the top 70% of the conference.

PJ Fleck was head coach at nothing Western Michigan before getting hired

James Franklin only had three years experience at lowly Vanderbilt before getting hired at near-blue-blood PSU

Jim Tressel had never even coached in the FBS and had a 3 win season in year 10 at Youngstown State before he went to OSU

Paul Chryst only had three years experience going .500 at Pitt 

Bret Bielema had zero years head coaching experience 

So sorry but what the f#&% are you talking about? Every head coaching hire except for like 5 people is a huge gamble. Even with experience it's still a huge gamble (Rich Rod at Michigan says hello)

Exactly.  Hire a top ten HC.  Period. 10’million whatever.  No More experiments. No more 10 year hope it works rebuilding projects.  

• Haha 1