Should BOTH Frost and Alberts be replaced?

The Whale

34 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Mark Dantonio had three years experience as a head coach going 18-17 at Cincinnati before being hired by MSU, who is in the top 70% of the conference.

PJ Fleck was head coach at nothing Western Michigan before getting hired

James Franklin only had three years experience at lowly Vanderbilt before getting hired at near-blue-blood PSU

Jim Tressel had never even coached in the FBS and had a 3 win season in year 10 at Youngstown State before he went to OSU

Paul Chryst only had three years experience going .500 at Pitt 

Bret Bielema had zero years head coaching experience 

So sorry but what the f#&% are you talking about? Every head coaching hire except for like 5 people is a huge gamble. Even with experience it's still a huge gamble (Rich Rod at Michigan says hello)

Jamey Chadwell.  HC at various spots for multiple years.  Had success at each spot.  Coached under Joe Moglia at Coastal Carolina.  Joe was an "assistant" at NU with Pelini prior to getting into coaching.  

13 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Half the top 10 coaches are not leaving their positions. The other half are still gambles.

I agree.  Unless you pull a Saban, Dabo, Day or Stoops (Bob), I think a lot are a gamble.  Frost has yet to pan out, Matt Fuentes is another that was the "it" guy going to VT.  Honestly have no idea how a guy can do well at one spot and not at another.  Talent?  Conference?  Scheme?  Resources?  No idea.   

29 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Exactly.  Hire a top ten HC.  Period. 10’million whatever.  No More experiments. No more 10 year hope it works rebuilding projects.  

Any coach from here on out needs successful coaching experience in the big. Not playing experience, coaching. I can only think of one right now. 

• Plus1 1

48 minutes ago, lo country said:

I agree.  Unless you pull a Saban, Dabo, Day or Stoops (Bob), I think a lot are a gamble.  Frost has yet to pan out, Matt Fuentes is another that was the "it" guy going to VT.  Honestly have no idea how a guy can do well at one spot and not at another.  Talent?  Conference?  Scheme?  Resources?  No idea.   

Me either.  But we can surmise a bit about SF doing so well in generally a weaker conference and not so well (left-handed compliment) in the Big Ten.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, lo country said:

The reality (that fans have an impossible time coming to terms with) is that most of what goes into building successful programs might as well be magic, because it's almost never quantifiable or replicable. Outside of very, very rare exceptions, you can do your absolute best and put forth every resource, but even then it's still pretty much a crapshoot.

15 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Any coach from here on out needs successful coaching experience in the big. Not playing experience, coaching. I can only think of one right now. 

Why? 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Exactly.  Hire a top ten HC.  Period. 10’million whatever.  No More experiments. No more 10 year hope it works rebuilding projects.  

Not exactly. Why do you think hiring a Top 10 HC is even an option? Name the coach who would find the Nebraska job preferable to where they are now. Add 2 million to their salary and does it change the attraction? Maybe. Maybe not. Top coaches often use that kind of offer to leverage a raise to stay put. 

The trick has generally been to hire the guy before he gets too expensive and doesn't want to budge. 

Dabo Swinney was hired as the interim HC at Clemson from Receivers Coach with no HC experience (hello there Mickey Joseph) 

You get Urban Meyer when he's coming from Utah, not Florida or Ohio State.

You get Nick Saban coming out of Michigan State with a 6-5, 6-6, 7-5 and 9-2 record. 

You get Brian Kelly just when he turned Cincinnatti around.

You hire Kirby Smart without any HC experience. 

You promote Lincoln Riley without any HC experience. 

Harbaugh and Cristobal went to Michigan and Miami only because they were homeboys, like Frost. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

That would suggest that Trev doesn't have a lot of options, wouldn't it? 

maybe it was part of the ADs master plan. 

35 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

The reality (that fans have an impossible time coming to terms with) is that most of what goes into building successful programs might as well be magic, because it's almost never quantifiable or replicable. Outside of very, very rare exceptions, you can do your absolute best and put forth every resource, but even then it's still pretty much a crapshoot.

Why? 

Because the only thing that matters is winning the conference.  

11 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Past head coaching success is not a marker for future success. Past experience in a conference is also not a predictor of future success in that conference.

Really?  Only talking Nebraska here- we are a doormat of a football program in the B10. We have been since we joined. We have never consistently been competitive in this conference. Conferences have identities and we thought we would join be able to set the “tone” of the conference. These are my opinions because I thought we were superior back in 11 or 12,  and I’d bet you thought so too.  We need someone to finally transition us to the conference we’re in.  No more “making them adjust to us” crap. I’m not even sure if I know what B10 football is, because I’ve never seen anything work in it. 

but I was wrong. Sec has its own brand of football, and probably the best brand. But the B10 has one to. It’s a gritty grind of football only teams in cold climates can play.  We have to have someone that understands how the Big plays. Because this fast-fix crap that Frost has been playing is predictable and easily beatable. We can’t even beat effin Minnesota. Minnesota.  And should Iowa win, it will be the 8th straight time. 

time to sit at the adult table. No more struggling with Minnesota, Illinois, and for the love of God, Iowa.