Transfer Portal Targets 2022

Mavric

10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Interesting.  Coaches don't usually comment on that type of stuff.

Yeah, pretty weird - haven't been able to confirm, but I think the response was unprompted from Leonhard as well. There's a short article on the Athletic, but they didn't get an additional comment from Brown and Leonhard didn't expand much when asked if he could give more info:

“Not really at this time,” Leonhard said. “Unfortunate incident. At this point, it’s more of a family matter we had to deal with internally and as time comes there might be more to say.”

Odd to blow it up, no one really would've batted an eye without Leonhard's comment. He's a 4th year junior stud recruit who couldn't lock down a starting job, that's the kind of guy who leaves. My (100% pure conjecture, no inside info at all) guess is he was probably angry about that and a discussion with a coach escalated beyond what was tolerable. But again that's a guess and probably not fair to Brown since I have no idea how he feels or how he would react.

3 minutes ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

I thought they weren't allowed to comment myself.  I am sure the schools definitely don't want them to comment as it does open them up to lawsuits potentially as well.

I don't think there's anything saying they can't comment.  They do say something like that from time to time when a player is dismissed in the middle of the season because it's obvious that something happened.  But it would have seemed like this would be a chance to really not say anything other than he is in the portal.

This was clearly an impromptu moment by Leonard to save face. He, like the most of us, I think it is a bad look when players decide to leave your program. When you are trying to show that you are worthy of being a head coach, you get defensive when players pack up and leave. His knee-jerk reaction was to protect himself and program by making sure everyone knows that the player did not have a choice to leave. Although it is the truth. These type of comments are typically not made by coaches in immediate response to portal entries. 

1 hour ago, HANC said:

This was clearly an impromptu moment by Leonard to save face. He, like the most of us, I think it is a bad luck when players decide to leave your program. When you were trying to show that you are worthy of being a head coach, you get defensive and players pack up and leave. His knee-jerk reaction was to protect himself and program by making sure everyone knows that the player did not have a choice to leave. Although it is the truth. These type of comments are typically not made by coaches in immediate response to portal entries. I

They came out and say the kid got in a fight in practice. 

6 hours ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Not exactly what we need IMHO.

A 4 year backup who was just booted off the team.

OL is by far the most difficult position group to fill through transfers and this doesn't look like it would be a move for NU.

Ritchie Incognito says hello. We could really use an Incognito right now. 

• Plus1 1