Transfer Portal Targets 2022

Mavric

2 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Do you think Nebraska loses some players or gains some? I hope if we do lose players it's not anybody that really is a contributor to the teams success this year and next.

There are about 5 people on the roster worth stealing for big ten level competition 

• Plus1 4

2 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Do you think Nebraska loses some players or gains some? I hope if we do lose players it's not anybody that really is a contributor to the teams success this year and next.

With all due respect to the current players on the team, I hope we lose a lot to the portal.  And I am guessing we will gain a lot as well.

• Plus1 3

We are better off maintaining as many of our team as we can.  Good Big 10 teams are older and more developed.  There are guys that coaches can identify as unwilling to be developed by their own actions and get rid of them. 

Yes, I'm sure we can find some guys in the Portal to help out and a lot of homework needs to be done on that kid.  Why is he leaving?  What ability did he show while in games? Is he a locker room asset or cancer? etc...

MJ mentioned JUCO kids are easier to do research on.  NU has identified numerous guys we would like to get on campus.

We need to augment what we have to make the team better in depth and overall talent. Not cast away half the team!

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Red Five said:

With all due respect to the current players on the team, I hope we lose a lot to the portal.  And I am guessing we will gain a lot as well.

Addition by subtraction. Let's cut the fat. We won't miss them anyways. That's what we always say. Then we wonder why there's no development from our roster.

Cornhusker Juan on had a post on Twitter that wasn't well received by a lot of Husker fans.  Juan came up with 21 players who he would recommend move on from NU in the offseason.  His list by position is below:

QB - Purdy, Haarberg

RB - Yant

WR - Shawn Hardy

TE - Chris Hickman

OL - Hunter Anthony, Michael Lynn, Bryce Benhart, Brant Banks, Ethan Piper, Alex Conn

DL - Mosai Newsome, Nash Hutmacher, Ty Robinson

LB - Garrett Snodgrass, Seth Malcom

Nickel - Javin Wright

DB - Noa Pola-Gates, Tyreke Johnson, Braxton Clark, Tamon Lynum

On offense, I agreed with all of the guys mentioned, except for Haarberg.  He is still a project, but he might be worth keeping around and a good QB coach will enable him to develop,

On defense, Robinson is still a starter, and while he hasn't been amazing, he still is a starter and would at least add decent depth.  Hutmacher is dependent on what type of defensive front is going to be used, because his only value is at nose tackle.  Wright is currently a backup at Nickel, but has been passed by Gifford.  Other than those guys, I agree with the rest of the guys.

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Cornhusker Juan on had a post on Twitter that wasn't well received by a lot of Husker fans.  Juan came up with 21 players who he would recommend move on from NU in the offseason.  His list by position is below:

QB - Purdy, Haarberg

RB - Yant

WR - Shawn Hardy

TE - Chris Hickman

OL - Hunter Anthony, Michael Lynn, Bryce Benhart, Brant Banks, Ethan Piper, Alex Conn

Nickel - Javin Wright

On offense, I agreed with all of the guys mentioned, except for Haarberg.  He is still a project, but he might be worth keeping around and a good QB coach will enable him to develop,

On defense, Robinson is still a starter, and while he hasn't been amazing, he still is a starter and would at least add decent depth.  Hutmacher is dependent on what type of defensive front is going to be used, because his only value is at nose tackle.  Wright is currently a backup at Nickel, but has been passed by Gifford.  Other than those guys, I agree with the rest of the guys.

Hard to disagree with those names.  Under Frost, we have had little bang and a lot of bust.  BUT maybe a new coach that can actually scout and develop sees something in them and they shine.  

3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

QB - Purdy, Haarberg

RB - Yant

WR - Shawn Hardy

TE - Chris Hickman

Nickel - Javin Wright

Yeah... what kind of idjit cures a program by getting rid of all the young talent on the two deep please tell juan to stay away from the progam.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 4
9 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Yeah... what kind of idjit cures a program by getting rid of all the young talent on the two deep please tell juan to stay away from the progam.

You are missing the point of Juan’s tweet. I haven’t gone through all of those names  and where they are on the depth chart, but I think a good majority of the names listed aren’t in the 2-deep.  They are guys who aren’t contributing and have been passed by younger scholly guys or walkons.  Even if they are in the 2-deep, they are replacement level players. 

14 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You are missing the point of Juan’s tweet. I haven’t gone through all of those names  and where they are on the depth chart, but I think a good majority of the names listed aren’t in the 2-deep.  They are guys who aren’t contributing and have been passed by younger scholly guys or walkons.  Even if they are in the 2-deep, they are replacement level players. 

But Juan wants Purdy and Robinson, Nash Hutmacher gone. I think Purdy can be really good if he has a offense line to protect him. Robinson isn't bad but not great either. Probably doesn't help that he takes on 2 blockers and Nash is a big body. For players like Noa I feel bad for bc when they don't develop I believe its the coaches so called responsibility to bring out the best in them and teach them. We haven't had great developmental coaches here. Just look at our o-line complete mess. Get a great coach hired and you will probably get good o-line play. 

1 hour ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

But Juan wants Purdy and Robinson, Nash Hutmacher gone. I think Purdy can be really good if he has a offense line to protect him. Robinson isn't bad but not great either. Probably doesn't help that he takes on 2 blockers and Nash is a big body. For players like Noa I feel bad for bc when they don't develop I believe its the coaches so called responsibility to bring out the best in them and teach them. We haven't had great developmental coaches here. Just look at our o-line complete mess. Get a great coach hired and you will probably get good o-line play. 

Following up on a your comments:

• Purdy shows good athleticism and a decent arm, but I am afraid his response to any type of pressure isn't good.  Regardless of how good the o-line is, a QB needs to be able to stand in face pressure in his face, or take off and scramble.  Purdy's usual response to pressure is just drift away, which is the worst response.
  • Robinson shouldn't be on that list. He's a current starter and is decent. No reason to get rid of him.
  • Hutmacher can only play Nose Tackle, so the new coach and his DC will need to want to run a 3-4 defense, which utilizes a classic, space-eater NT.  Even then Hutmacher needs to improve to be effective at that position.
  • NPG has been passed up by other guys and is just not contributing.  Same with Snodgrass and Maclom
  • I don't know enough about the o-linemen, but I guess I can give them a free pass.  Although I don't blame their lack of development on the o-line coach, I blame the Duval.  Duval's S&C principles build strength in the weight room, but some question whether that it creates functional strength which can be used on the football field.
14 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

QB - Purdy, Haarberg

RB - Yant

WR - Shawn Hardy

TE - Chris Hickman

Nickel - Javin Wright

Offense: 

Tagaloa

Grimes

Weaver

Conn

Hardy

Yant

A QB

Lynn

Hickman

Anthony 

Defense: