Transfer Portal Targets 2022

Mavric

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes.

We can help rebuild the lines through the portal.  But, if we are going to have success in the short term, we need an O line coach that can develop enough of the current players to be gamers that we don't have to replace the entire lines through the portal.  It's going to have to be a combination, but mostly improvement from current players.

Hope you’re right but I doubt seriously the current guys can get much better no matter who the coach is.  They’ve all been around too long without getting any better.  There have been almost no improvement and very rarely have we seen even brief flashes of good line play.  The entire bunch continually has glaring mistakes.  Penalties. Whiffs.  The total ‘pancakes’ by NU line is likely outnumbered by the pancakes OF our line.  Pass protection is marginally better now and then but run blocking is poor 90% of the time. They’re big enough. They’ve all had many games to show it.  Two coaches plus dozens of former guys to advise and suggest. Still nothing to show for it.  

i had hopes for improvement this fall but it’s just not happening.  Good RBs averaging 2.8 ypc even when we throw it so often. 

We have to have line players on both sides.  Simple.  Linemen, linemen, and more linemen.  I think we have decent skill players and some decent secondary players.  We need more linemen and linebackers for sure.  Casey can come back for one more season, so QB is the least of my concerns at this point.  I mean come on, Turman beat KSU in 94 as a 3rd stringer because we had line play.  Build the defense, then have a run game to supplement the defense until we can build an offense.  Look at Iowa, they might win 7-8 games this season with no offense.  Illinois has a strong defense, but with a better offense they would be pretty much undefeated, still they are a 8 win team.  If you want offense, then you will be more like Purdue, and win 6 games a season. 

Its really not a hard solution.  Building blocks are line players.  Second would be linebackers and edge rushers.  Third would be running backs.  Then I might think about QBs, WRs, and other players

• Plus1 1

On his podcast this week, Rob Zatechka hinted that Keegan Johnson may be headed for the transfer portal.  Johnson has struggled with injuries this year, and has only played in 2 games.  Zatechka thinks that Johnson has purposely not played in the last few games of the season to preserve his redshirt, and the relationship with Ferentz has cooled from both sides.

If Johnson were to transfer, he would have 3 seasons of eligibility left.  The one thing working against Nebraska is the sour taste that Clester and the Johnson family has had given the lack of recruiting of the 3 kids out of high school by NU.  Johnson may have a better relationship with Mickey, however, I have no clue.

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

On his podcast this week, Rob Zatechka hinted that Keegan Johnson may be headed for the transfer portal.  Johnson has struggled with injuries this year, and has only played in 2 games.  Zatechka thinks that Johnson has purposely not played in the last few games of the season to preserve his redshirt, and the relationship with Ferentz has cooled from both sides.

If Johnson were to transfer, he would have 3 seasons of eligibility left.  The one thing working against Nebraska is the sour taste that Clester and the Johnson family has had given the lack of recruiting of the 3 kids out of high school by NU.  Johnson may have a better relationship with Mickey, however, I have no clue.

I had seen a report from a month or so ago - Callahan maybe? - that said to watch Johnson.  But I didn't know what the deal was.

Would be a nice add.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If a coach doesn't think he's going to be here next week, why would they be offering this right now?

Joseph has said multiple times that they have to do everything as if they expect to still be here.

Also, if he wants to say on, even if he's not the HC, continuing to do your job the best you can seems to be a logical course of action.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Joseph has said multiple times that they have to do everything as if they expect to still be here.

Also, if he wants to say on, even if he's not the HC, continuing to do your job the best you can seems to be a logical course of action.

Yep...I agree.  I've had that thought about him ever since he took over.  However, now we are literally down to a few days before a new coach is announced (probably).  I would think Joseph has a pretty good feel as to if he's going to still be here or not.

I like it if he still thinks he's going to be here.