Transfer Portal Targets 2022

Mavric

57 minutes ago, Farms said:

I am not really concerned about numbers at the EDGE position.  It's the "down or interior" guys whatever you want to call it where we're razor thin.  Van Poppel and Carroll-Jackson won't be here in the spring.

Jeudy will. Not sure if they are early enrollees or not 

26 minutes ago, Farms said:

If you don’t understand that they play a different position I don’t know what to tell you.

No worries @Farms...  Im guessing most of us understand what you are saying and agree...  there are some on here that will just be argumentative "literally" and others that are so lip locked to them that will comment even though its clear they have no clue...  enjoy your day...

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 1

8 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Syracuse defense under White has a big nose & 240 to 270 ends.  Why do we need more than 5 or 6 300 lb. DL players 

It will be interesting to see how the d-line shapes up in 2023 and beyond.  While Tony White has mostly used a 3-3-5 formation, he has said that he's not beholden to that formation.  A lot will depend on the available talent and depth, along with the opponent.  I do think White will want a number of players in the 220-270 pound range with a focus on speed.  Theoretically, that could limit the number of 290-300 pound behemoths taking up space on the line of scrimmage.

9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It will be interesting to see how the d-line shapes up in 2023 and beyond.  While Tony White has mostly used a 3-3-5 formation, he has said that he's not beholden to that formation.  A lot will depend on the available talent and depth, along with the opponent.  I do think White will want a number of players in the 220-270 pound range with a focus on speed.  Theoretically, that could limit the number of 290-300 pound behemoths taking up space on the line of scrimmage.

I will admit I'm no expert on schemes.  I believe in a 3-3-5 defense you typically use either a 3-3 front that features three "true defensive lineman".  Or you may see a 2-4 personel that features two "true defensive lineman" and two DE/OLB hybrid players that often play in a stand up position, which I assume is our "edge" position. That may be where there is quite a bit of flexibility.  Maybe a guy like Gunnerson could be big enough to play as a down lineman in this defense I'm not really sure.

1 hour ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Syracuse defense under White has a big nose & 240 to 270 ends.  Why do we need more than 5 or 6 300 lb. DL players 

My fear is Iowa lines up and blows undersized defenders off the ball. I’ve seen it too much. I’ll trust the new DC knows what he’s doing and what conference he works in. 

12 minutes ago, KCBuc said:

My fear is Iowa lines up and blows undersized defenders off the ball. I’ve seen it too much. I’ll trust the new DC knows what he’s doing and what conference he works in. 

I'm watching Minnesota and Syracuse right now, and Minnesota isn't dominating Syracuse on the LOS.  Syracuse is creating confusion on the offensive line by mixing up their alignments, bringing different LB's to the LOS, and then backing others off.  Minnesota has the lead at halftime basically because their QB's and WR's have hit a few big plays downfield.  From what I have seen on film studies of the Syracuse D the past few years, their DB's are susceptible to deep passing teams.

• Plus1 3
17 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I'm watching Minnesota and Syracuse right now, and Minnesota isn't dominating Syracuse on the LOS.  Syracuse is creating confusion on the offensive line by mixing up their alignments, bringing different LB's to the LOS, and then backing others off.  Minnesota has the lead at halftime basically because their QB's and WR's have hit a few big plays downfield.  From what I have seen on film studies of the Syracuse D the past few years, their DB's are susceptible to deep passing teams.

Cuse hired Rocky Long too. The modern founder of the 3-3-5 and Tony White’s mentor. 

• Plus1 1