Transfer Portal Targets 2022

Mavric

You would have to think on Sunday/Monday you will see the staff getting after the portal more than they are currently. Think the only portal player to visit has been a DL transfer from Army. Who unless is a walk-on target does not get looked at. 

20 hours ago, Mavric said:

I mean ... It's very likely that 60% of this years starters didn't start/barely played last year.  Possibly 80%.

Not exactly "rolling the same guys out again."

Would be kind of fun to take this topic over to the 'Your 2023 Cornhuskers' thread and make a position-by-position list of predictions on this.

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

How can teams gain depth if good players refuse to be second string? 

I think there's actually a really good answer to this question, at least for schools with big money like us: Pay them as much as possible by pushing the limits of what's allowable with NIL.

Now you might lose them to another school who'll pay them more to transfer. And that's just the new paradigm of college football; basically every single player is a free agent when each season ends now. It's a circus and doesn't look anything like it did even just 5 years ago, but it is what it is.

Another thing is the coaches have to play more players.  Basically you have two or even three starters.   Even good players won’t be future pros without developing 2-3 years.  Jumping around is very risky.   I’m of the belief Rhule is not running off any players he feels have real chances to stay and improve and contribute.  Guys who are ‘play me now or I leave’ are more likely than not destined to be disappointed.   

Probably less than 15 guys that are in the category of pro prospects amongst the juniors and seniors levels.  And those are only ‘maybes’ after another season or two of significant improvement.   Another 15-20 of the recents transfers and recruits have that potential with more time developing.  There is no place they’d go that will improve their odds or shorten the time frame. Imo.   Playing time does not mean developing or even improving if the guy doesn’t compete for his position. 

On 4/28/2023 at 9:38 AM, Decked said:

Really not a lot of portal traction at least publicly for us. Wonder if we are just being extremely picky or what 

With our biggest position of need being the OL and the lack of starter or quality backup O-linemen left in the portal I think Rhule and Co are done in the portal this year. Unfortunately they’re going to be forced to role with who’s on the roster and focus on coaching them up the best they can. I hope a full summer with the S&C staff really pays off, but my gut says otherwise 

• Plus1 1