*** 2022 Game 3 "Expert" Picks: Georgia Southern at Nebraska ***

Saunders

Call Your Shot!  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2022 Game 3 “Expert” Picks: Georgia Southern @ Nebraska

—————

CollegeFootballNews.com

Why Georgia Southern Will Win

This is not your older brother’s Georgia Southern team. New head coach Clay Helton wanted to change things up a bit, and while the running game will still play a big role, the passing attack is about to get going. In came Buffalo transfer Kyle Vantrease, and at least for one week, everything clicked as he threw for 367 yards and four touchdowns in the blowout win over Morgan State. Nebraska’s defense is far, far better, but it’s still shaky, it got pounded on by Northwestern’s ground game, and overall it took a little too long to put North Dakota away in a 38-17 win. Georgia Southern will move the ball better than the Fighting Hawks did, and they ran for over five yards per carry.

Why Nebraska Will Win

Again, Nebraska might be struggling, but it’s not Morgan State. If might be a tough go so far in the 1-1 start, but the Huskers found an explosive runner in Anthony Grant, QB Casey Thompson has been strong in spurts, and it has to keep being said, even though no one wants to hear it – it’s EARLY. The Huskers have the parts to be far better, but they’re still looking like a team getting the timing down. Georgia Southern isn’t going to be great against the run – Grant and the ground attack should have a nice day – and everything should be fine as long as …

What’s Going To Happen

The Nebraska turnovers have to stop. They were an issue against Northwestern, and the two against North Dakota didn’t help. The Huskers don’t have to be perfect, but they’re getting killed whenever there’s the slightest momentum shift. Fortunately, controlling the game on the ground – and getting to Vantrease with the pass rush – should help take care of that.

Nebraska 35 - Georgia Southern 17

—————

ESPN FPI

Nebraska 44 - Georgia Southern 18

Nebraska - 84.2% Win

—————

DRatings

Nebraska 36 - Georgia Southern 18

Nebraska - 89.1% Win

—————

ESPN Bill Connelly SP+

Nebraska 37 - Georgia Southern 16

Nebraska - 89% Win

—————

Big Red Wrap Up

Mike’l Severe: Nebraska 34 - Georgia Southern 17

Jay Moore: Nebraska 35 - Georgia Southern 21

Damon Benning: Nebraska 41 - Georgia Southern 20

—————

More to come!!!

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

Looking at this game as one of four more on the schedule where I would be comfortable with saying the Huskers are in position to win. We got North Dakota in the bag. Georgia Southern doesn't appear to have the physical component on either side of the LOS to give us trouble. Then you look at Illinois, Indiana and Rutgers as being below average teams. The match up between Illinois and Indiana was less than inspiring as the Hoosiers came back to win. Other than that, Oklahoma will be physical, Purdue's RB will give us problems again, Mo of the same from Minnesota, Michigan at the Big House is not happening, Wisconsin has a better back than Purdue or Minnesota. Iowa, if you look at last week, would be our "get to a bowl game" opponent... but they're going to get at least marginally better by season's end and we are so snake bit against those guys. Yup... 2-10 as worst case... 5-7 or 6-6 as best case.

1 hour ago, tmfr15 said:

Looking at this game as one of four more on the schedule where I would be comfortable with saying the Huskers are in position to win. We got North Dakota in the bag. Georgia Southern doesn't appear to have the physical component on either side of the LOS to give us trouble. Then you look at Illinois, Indiana and Rutgers as being below average teams. The match up between Illinois and Indiana was less than inspiring as the Hoosiers came back to win. Other than that, Oklahoma will be physical, Purdue's RB will give us problems again, Mo of the same from Minnesota, Michigan at the Big House is not happening, Wisconsin has a better back than Purdue or Minnesota. Iowa, if you look at last week, would be our "get to a bowl game" opponent... but they're going to get at least marginally better by season's end and we are so snake bit against those guys. Yup... 2-10 as worst case... 5-7 or 6-6 as best case.

It will be interesting to see if Iowa gets their offense figured out as the season goes on.  They were pathetic on Saturday.  I really hope they don't get it figured out for their game this weekend against ISU.

• Plus1 1

I think Nebraska wins but doesn't cover but I'm concerned that GA South comes in wt confidence (their QB played well against us as Buffalo's QB last year), they won't be intimidated and they will be motivated to steal a game at Memorial Stadium.  They seem to pass well and our D hasn't yet been impressive in the area of pass the rush and there remains some issues with coverage.  

• Plus1 2
20 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I think Nebraska wins but doesn't cover but I'm concerned that GA South comes in wt confidence (their QB played well against us as Buffalo's QB last year), they won't be intimidated and they will be motivated to steal a game at Memorial Stadium.  They seem to pass well and our D hasn't yet been impressive in the area of pass the rush and there remains some issues with coverage.  

They're not going to be as patient sticking with dink and dunk though, they'll take some shots. I'm hoping we get to actually see the DBs coverage skills and the pass rush have a chance to make an impact. Could be a case of "careful what you wish for," but I'm optimistic. 

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

All good points except the Buffalo QB comment.  As I said in another thread, he did not "play well".  In 50 attempts, he passed for 224 yards, had 0 TDs and 1 INT.  He also rushed for 0 yards on 1 attempt.  And these crappy numbers weren't from pressure - we had zero sacks on him. 

I do agree with you about GS coming in with confidence.  Maybe they play well enough to keep it to 3 scores?  I personally doubt it.  

• Plus1 2

Huskers have reached 40 points in a game, 6 or 8 times since 2018 (around 50 games played).  Twice against FCS teams, twice against Illinois, once against Maryland and Minnesota.... (sorry, going off memory from diving into it this summer)

I would love to see this night game in Lincoln become another one.  

Happy if it happens, but won't bank on it.  Can't bank on it.  

• Plus1 1