If SF does get fired what is legacy at Nebraska

He won't ever be shunned by the state at all. We all love him, you don't scorn those you love. You chalk it up like a disappointed parent whose kid tried to become an actor instead of an engineer and it didn't work out.  He will absolutely be known as the player that did great, the coach that failed miserably, and you can stop by an watch a football game any time you want, Scott, but it'll be a few years after you leave until it's going to be worth your time!

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

He won't ever be shunned by the state at all. We all love him, you don't scorn those you love. You chalk it up like a disappointed parent whose kid tried to become an actor instead of an engineer and it didn't work out.  He will absolutely be known as the player that did great, the coach that failed miserably, and you can stop by an watch a football game any time you want, Scott, but it'll be a few years after you leave until it's going to be worth your time!

I tend to agree with you just feel people in general are about the now so his failure as a coach has out weighed his play as a qb who won a national championship which in return has left a very disappointing taste in Nebraska fan's mouths.

If Frost gets fired, with time the animosity and frustration will cede ground to sympathy as people realize he gave it every ounce he possibly could and was more disappointed in the outcome than any of us.

Plus, I have a suspicion that he'll go on and have a lot of success elsewhere which will hopefully show us all that the problem wasn't Frost, it was Frost at Nebraska that didn't work for whatever spooky reason.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
43 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

If Frost gets fired, with time the animosity and frustration will cede ground to sympathy as people realize he gave it every ounce he possibly could and was more disappointed in the outcome than any of us.

Plus, I have a suspicion that he'll go on and have a lot of success elsewhere which will hopefully show us all that the problem wasn't Frost, it was Frost at Nebraska that didn't work for whatever spooky reason.

The "..it was Frost at Nebraska.." carries  the weight of a few of his failed predecessors here, so seems to make sense.  Indeed, the weight of our collective disappointment is equal to the weight of our ramped up hopes as his hiring unfolded to change that course.  For him to live up to that seemed natural to us.  We were mistaken.

4 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

See Solich, Frank. 

One was asked to maintain glory and couldn't quite get it done, the other was asked to restore it. Both Re still beloved Huskers that gave more to this program than any keyboard warrior ever could. 

One was maintaining glory but a stupid athletic director thought he knew better and look how that has turned out

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

He became the QB at a time when winning at the highest level had been ingrained into the culture of the program so long that it became the norm, and he perpetuated that norm.

He became the coach at a time when losing had been ingrained into the culture of the program so long that it became the norm, and he perpetuated that norm.

It's a bit complicated.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

I don't think his reputation as a player gets lessened whatsoever. And for anybody who'd try to do that, you're an a****le.   :D

If he got fired at the end of this season, his reputation as a coach for me would be that he tried to create a one-for-one clone of what was done at UCF because he thought it was a foregone conclusion that it would have the same level of success here.

It should have been much more obvious to him sooner that this wasn't working. And then he failed to adjust before it was too late.

36 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

See Solich, Frank. 

One was asked to maintain glory and couldn't quite get it done, the other was asked to restore it. Both are still beloved Huskers that gave more to this program than any keyboard warrior ever could. 

Indeed.  And good perspective.  :thumbs

• Plus1 1

Unless he pulls a scorched earth type departure, he will be foregiven and always remembered for all his efforts.  His fails as HC will not be forgotten but be a reminder that being the HC is a tough job. Very few can do it well.  He did his best.  

For me, I feel no real animosity towards any of our former Huskers (players or coaches or admins).  Nearly all have been given too much credit for successes and too much for failures.  It’s just about life.  I think all, to my knowledge, tried to do great things and did their best to help DONU.   Success or not, they’re still Huskers.  

Almost nobody lost their jobs wrongfully. They just didn’t succeed and the programs needed the skills and services that were believed offered by another.  The coaches are employed to help student athletes have the best possible Husker experience.   Life isn’t always about ‘fair’ - it’s about right vs wrong.  It’s a team and community purpose.  There’s no I in team or program.  

• Fire 2