If SF does get fired what is legacy at Nebraska

Peter??     As in the Peter Principle.    

1. the principle that members of a hierarchy are promoted until they reach the level at which they are no longer competent.

Scott will be known as a great offensive mind who perhaps should have remained  a OC at a high profile school. He never seemed to be able to wrap his arms around being a HC at a high profile school like Nebraska.    Perhaps Neb promoted him beyond his expertise when we hired him.  That is on us as well as on Scott for not recognizing this - or at least not recognizing he wasn't ready for the challenge - even if it seemed a match made in football heaven at the time. 
  2. Football Player - one of our best ever QBs whose tough nosed play and determined attitude got Tom his last N.C
I think Nebraska will remember him as our last NC QB, his grit to beat Missouri to keep us in the hunt, his plowing over the A&M defender in the Big 12 Championship game (showing his toughness), and his SPEECH after beating Tenn in the Orange Bowl on behalf of Tom's quest for NC # 3.  
  • Fire 2
2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

1. the principle that members of a hierarchy are promoted until they reach the level at which they are no longer competent.

Scott will be known as a great offensive mind who perhaps should have remained  a OC at a high profile school. He never seemed to be able to wrap his arms around being a HC at a high profile school like Nebraska.    Perhaps Neb promoted him beyond his expertise when we hired him.  That is on us as well as on Scott for not recognizing this - or at least not recognizing he wasn't ready for the challenge - even if it seemed a match made in football heaven at the time. 
  2. Football Player - one of our best ever QBs whose tough nosed play and determined attitude got Tom his last N.C
I think Nebraska will remember him as our last NC QB, his grit to beat Missouri to keep us in the hunt, his plowing over the A&M defender in the Big 12 Championship game (showing his toughness), and his SPEECH after beating Tenn in the Orange Bowl on behalf of Tom's quest for NC # 3.  

HEY!!! That sounds verbatim what was said about Pelini- minus the player part and defense instead of offense. 

Maybe we can get Riley to come back and be headcoach and his coordinators can be Pelini and Frost. 

• Oh Yeah! 2
22 minutes ago, walksalone said:

The kid gave everything he had, just more successfully on the field than being the HC

What advice would the 2022 SF give to the 2017 SF?  There has been bright spots and lots of would, shouda, couda’s. Is there one thing that could have turned it around?  

2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Ahhhh…. As in the saying “Petered out”. 

I think what ever negative feelings felt towards Frost are in part, due to our collective hope that the prodigal son, the chosen one would restore NU to its former glory. Much like the feelings of "if not Frost then who" mentality that has been around for a few seasons.  We feel let down.  Disappointed.  I feel bad for Frost.  I wanted Cally and Riley gone.  I wanted and still want Frost to somehow miraculously succeed.  But I do not think he will.  He was one of us and he failed.  And by proxy let us down in a much more personal manner than other coaches.  

To the OP, he will always be the gunslinger who brought TO his last NC and sent him off in a grand way.  HIs speech, IMHO, swayed voters.  Even though we would have stomped a mud hole in Michigan's a$$ and walked it dry. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
1 hour ago, lo country said:

I think what ever negative feelings felt towards Frost are in part, due to our collective hope that the prodigal son, the chosen one would restore NU to its former glory. Much like the feelings of "if not Frost then who" mentality that has been around for a few seasons.  We feel let down.  Disappointed.  I feel bad for Frost.  I wanted Cally and Riley gone.  I wanted and still want Frost to somehow miraculously succeed.  But I do not think he will.  He was one of us and he failed.  And by proxy let us down in a much more personal manner than other coaches.  

To the OP, he will always be the gunslinger who brought TO his last NC and sent him off in a grand way.  HIs speech, IMHO, swayed voters.  Even though we would have stomped a mud hole in Michigan's a$$ and walked it dry. 

I’m sure there are examples of players returning to their alma matters and being successful- however you want to describe success. But what a double edged sword when ego meets emotion I do not think the product is rationality and stability.  

8 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

If Frost gets fired, with time the animosity and frustration will cede ground to sympathy as people realize he gave it every ounce he possibly could and was more disappointed in the outcome than any of us.

Plus, I have a suspicion that he'll go on and have a lot of success elsewhere which will hopefully show us all that the problem wasn't Frost, it was Frost at Nebraska that didn't work for whatever spooky reason.

Giving it every ounce could come into question. I suspect some things will come out after he’s gone that are gonna stun the average fan. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
13 hours ago, Undone said:

I don't think his reputation as a player gets lessened whatsoever. And for anybody who'd try to do that, you're an a****le.   :D

Before a few weeks into 2017, his reputation as a player was dramatically underrated. Nobody included him in their top 5, even top 10 quarterbacks in school history which was an understandable but frustrating shame. People re-saw his playing career through a new lens once we saw Riley's sinking ship and Frost's rising stardom.

• Haha 4
5 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Before a few weeks into 2017, his reputation as a player was dramatically underrated. Nobody included him in their top 5, even top 10 quarterbacks in school history which was an understandable but frustrating shame. People re-saw his playing career through a new lens once we saw Riley's sinking ship and Frost's rising stardom.

Oh man, I had him in my Top 5. Frost was arguably the strongest Nebraska QB of all time. Crouch was also built like steel but Frost was a brutal, physical runner for a QB and was just strong AF.

• Fire 1