Should Erik Chinander be fired midseason

This season had the potential to be more like the 2017 UCF setup that Frost wanted, because he finally had a lights-out passing QB who can occasionally run zone read just like Milton.

And just like 2017 you had Chinander's s***ty defense on the other side of the ball.

But nobody expected us to look this bad on defense. WTF can Mickey Joseph even do with the dumb s*** Chinander is doing out there? Soft coverage, no real blitz packages until you're 3.8 quarters into the game.

And then you've got a guy like Barrett Ruud who effectively only has to coach two f****** guys out there and the inside linebackers look confused & scared.

How did we not have some kind of dime package to dial up for their pass attack last night? How can a Sun Belt team come in on a night game at home and hang 642 yards on your defense? Because these coaches f****** suck.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Undone said:

This season had the potential to be more like the 2017 UCF setup that Frost wanted, because he finally had a lights-out passing QB who can occasionally run zone read just like Milton.

And just like 2017 you had Chinander's s***ty defense on the other side of the ball.

But nobody expected us to look this bad on defense. WTF can Mickey Joseph even do with the dumb s*** Chinander is doing out there? Soft coverage, no real blitz packages until you're 3.8 quarters into the game.

And then you've got a guy like Barrett Ruud who effectively only has to coach two f****** guys out there and the inside linebackers look confused & scared.

How did we not have some kind of dime package to dial up for their pass attack last night? How can a Sun Belt team come in on a night game at home and hang 642 yards on your defense? Because these coaches f****** suck.

You know the stupidest thing out of his mouth all season was "they have to earn the right to blitz on 3rd down". No mother f#&%er, you need to put them in the position to give them a 3rd and long to pin their ears back on. Stop playing zone all the time and press the recievers, bring the safeties in because we clearly need them in run support. We haven't played anyone yet who should have WRs that can out play our corners (but they do look like bad...)

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, ZRod said:

You know the stupidest thing out of his mouth all season was "they have to earn the right to blitz on 3rd down". No mother f#&%er, you need to put them in the position to give them a 3rd and long to pin their ears back on. Stop playing zone all the time and press the recievers, bring the safeties in because we clearly need them in run support. We haven't played anyone yet who should have WRs that can out play our corners (but they do look like bad...)

That's a level of stubbornness that you'd see from Bo. No willingness to admit you might be doing something wrong but worse - Frost could have enacted change there. But he hasn't given a s*** about defense or special teams his entire time here.

• Plus1 1

13 minutes ago, Undone said:

That's a level of stubbornness that you'd see from Bo. No willingness to admit you might be doing something wrong but worse - Frost could have enacted change there. But he hasn't given a s*** about defense or special teams his entire time here.

He trusted Chinander. I get it, you're buds and you "came of age together" coaching, but at the end of the day it's a business. It's you alma mater, not his. You're the CEO and it's your business. He's holding you back, so cut him loose.

This is a great question now that Joseph is in charge. I thought about starting another thread asking if you think the defense might show up the rest of the season, but a better question is will Joseph put up with this soft and incompetent defense coaching style? Will he allow Chinander to sabotage the offense? The same question can be asked about Ruud whose linebackers have looked like 3rd stringers. I guess you have to give the d line coach some slack because Tuioti bailed and took some good guys with him, but something has to change there too...they're getting manhandled by teams that shouldn't. The secondary has been a mix of some guys who have made plays combined with some who are always looking the other way and grabbing the receiver while the ball bounces off the back of their head. I remember when we had a big bad MLB who called the plays in a short huddle...I'm not sure what we have now or if they even understand what is flashed on the sideline. Maybe the other team knows our signs better than we do?

2 hours ago, ZRod said:

That's been his mantra since he has been here.  No, you blitz to get them in 3rd and long.  The TO's he so depends on could be increased with the defense crashing every play. He telegraphs the blitz so there is no real surprise when or who it's coming from.  Rarely see two guys stunting to get there.  And this has been against ND and GS. Not against B1G OL's....

To the DB's, I thought they talked about getting bigger, rangy guys who can bang at the LOS.  But like clock work, need 5 yrds, we will give an 8 yard cushion...Safeties appear at times to be 20 yards downfield.  I truly miss Marvin Sanders.  When he talked about the DB's playing press, push them down, push them out of bounds or slow them up.  Either way disrupts the passing game.  Especially when they were exploiting our coverage.  Press at the line and break up their timing and routes.....

2 hours ago, Undone said:

IMHO, this was Bo's problem.  "Brand new" guys with little to no real world experience at the position where they were hired.  Then when things when sideways and he solicited input, no one really knew what to say or how to fix it as they were all learning on the job.  I do think Carl and Marvin "moving" on did not help.  And yes bringing Ruud to be the LB coach (2 guys) as his first coaching gig and learn on the job in the B1G that is known for mauling OL play and brutal RB's was stupid....

9 minutes ago, lo country said:

That's been his mantra since he has been here.  No, you blitz to get them in 3rd and long.  The TO's he so depends on could be increased with the defense crashing every play. He telegraphs the blitz so there is no real surprise when or who it's coming from.  Rarely see two guys stunting to get there.  And this has been against ND and GS. Not against B1G OL's....

To the DB's, I thought they talked about getting bigger, rangy guys who can bang at the LOS.  But like clock work, need 5 yrds, we will give an 8 yard cushion...Safeties appear at times to be 20 yards downfield.  I truly miss Marvin Sanders.  When he talked about the DB's playing press, push them down, push them out of bounds or slow them up.  Either way disrupts the passing game.  Especially when they were exploiting our coverage.  Press at the line and break up their timing and routes.....

I truly believe that Marvin Sanders was the best DB coach we ever had at NU.

• Plus1 4
  • Oh Yeah! 2