Should Erik Chinander be fired midseason

@ZRod: I found that clip of Chinander you mentioned (it was the Wednesday after the Northwestern loss). It'll start at the right time:

That's just some of the dumbest s*** you'll ever hear and really tells you almost everything you need to know about why QB's - even backup QB's - have picked apart his unit for over 3 of the 4+ years he's been here.

I mean maybe he just got caught tossing a word salad there in front of the mic's but holy s***...

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Undone said:

@ZRod: I found that clip of Chinander you mentioned. It'll start at the right time:

That's just some of the dumbest s*** you'll ever hear and really tells you almost everything you need to know about why QB's - even backup QB's - have picked apart his unit for over 3 of the 4+ years he's been here.

I mean maybe he just got caught tossing a word salad there in front of the mic's but holy s***...

Eh ... I'm not Chinander apologist but that's reading a whole lot more into that than is there.

He's saying that when you get them in obvious passing downs you can pin your ears back and go.  If you let them stay on schedule they could run or pass so you have to play both.

Pretty basic football logic.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

Eh ... I'm not Chinander apologist but that's reading a whole lot more into that than is there.

He's saying that when you get them in obvious passing downs you can pin your ears back and go.  If you let them stay on schedule they could run or pass so you have to play both.

Pretty basic football logic.

But just to be clear...you watched the game last night, yes?

;)

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Undone said:

But just to be clear...you watched the game last night, yes?

;)

I actually only got to watch the last few minutes.  I have it on DVR but haven't convinced myself that is necessary.  ;)

But considering they averaged over seven yards per play I'm guessing there weren't a lot of 3rd & longs.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I actually only got to watch the last few minutes.  I have it on DVR but haven't convinced myself that is necessary.  ;)

But considering they averaged over seven yards per play I'm guessing there weren't a lot of 3rd & longs.

Dude, ha! I'm very interested to hear your takes after having watched it.

What I believe I've observed over the past four years is that Chinander brings blitz packages much, much more in games where we're the big underdogs. But when we play a team that's perceived as being equal or lower, his strategy is to get coverage sacks and just play "bend don't break."

We got held on the long run that was the beginning of the end for our defense. Complete bulls*** no-call. But even on that play and throughout the entire night, our backers just couldn't keep up with them in coverage. We got out-coached and out-schemed in embarrassing fashion. They put up 642 yards and I really only saw our backers coming in hot on designed "more than just four guys" blitzes once it was like halfway through the 4th quarter.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Undone said:

Dude, ha! I'm very interested to hear your takes after having watched it.

What I believe I've observed over the past four years is that Chinander brings blitz packages much, much more in games where we're the big underdogs. But when we play a team that's perceived as being equal or lower, his strategy is to get coverage sacks and just play "bend don't break."

We got held on the long run that was the beginning of the end for our defense. Complete bulls*** no-call. But even on that play and throughout the entire night, our backers just couldn't keep up with them in coverage. We got out-coached and out-schemed in embarrassing fashion. They put up 642 yards and I really only saw our backers coming in hot on designed "more than just four guys" blitzes once it was like halfway through the 4th quarter.

I've not been much of a Chins fan for much of the time that he's been here.  I gave him a chance because I didn't think he had a lot to work with at first but still skeptical.  I was one of the few that kept trying to say our defense wasn't as impressive as it looked last year because we were still giving up a lot of yards, even if we managed to keep the score down.

And my two biggest complaints are not bringing pressure and playing too soft in coverage.  I won't be at all sad if he's gone.  I just don't think he's saying as much in that clip as others do.