Georgia Southern - What did we Learn?

TGHusker

Tired of all the blaming.  We have now hired and fired so many coaches who we deemed as idiots, and some were, but I am wondering who is laughing more right now.............those guys or us.  We blamed the Big 12 and Texas for us losing, we go to the Big 10 and everyone that matters kicks our a$$ all the time.  We blame the Big 10 for poor scheduling and effing us over year after year.  We suck in all male athletics right now.  We are a nobody right now and have been for nearly two decades.  I don't see us getting a great coach to come here.  Frost is done.  He isn't any better than Riley or Callahan were.  I am wondering if thats all on him or if it isn't on the school at this point?  Hired  and fired alot of guys now(assuming that Frost is done after this season) and we keep getting the same result.  Common denominator in this conversation is us and the school.  Its time to let go of the good ol' days and hoping we win 11 games a season again.  Thats clearly behind us.  The whole country can see it, but we can't yet.  Boy I hope I eat crow in a couple of years because of this thread, but I am not seeing this thing ever being a whole lot better.  Might see someone get us to 6-6 or 7-5 maybe, but not going crazy and thinking we will ever go 9-10 wins again.  Something is broken here.  K-State wins most every year, Kansas is getting better, Iowa St is winning games each season, Iowa is always beating our a$$, Mizzou wins in the SEC, but we are in the worst division in college football and can't win 6 games a season!  No matter who the coach is............Yes we lack a good coach.  The common thing for all of these schools is a good coach.  Why can't we find that guy?  Why?  I am afraid that this job is tarnished to a point that if you even are an up and comer, your not coming here at this point. 

• Plus1 2

I learned coaching matters.  We had more talent than on paper than any team we played this year. And probably more than anyone last year other than OSU and Michigan.  Our staff is horrid at best.  Time to end this experiment and pull the plug.  Dude got 2 years (3 years by some accounts) more than he deserved.  

Hire the right guy and things will turn around.  Look at OU prior to Stoops, Bama before Saban etc....Right coach gets the kids and the wins come.  Just like people thought Frost or bust, the same can be said for we will never be back.  Bama was 85-80 prior to Saban.  NIL, portal transfer, etc make a lot of the recruiting issues go away.  I'd tell Frost he's gone.  That he's being fired on Oct 2 and that he is lucky that he's not being sued for breach of contract or arrested for stealing from the University.  see ya.  He's getting $7.5 million to walk away.  Hell I'd love a million to walk away....

I also swear that Rahmir was in on the last drive and so was Liewer.  If I was correct, why?  Just like running in Logan.  Why....

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

I’m nervous that some of these players we’ve recruited will leave-namely our quarterback. 
I hope not.  If by chance Scott decided to resign or is fired would Mickey Joseph be the interim head coach? 

That’s a good  and $1000 question. My guess is yes. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
4 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Tired of all the blaming.  We have now hired and fired so many coaches who we deemed as idiots, and some were, but I am wondering who is laughing more right now.............those guys or us.  We blamed the Big 12 and Texas for us losing, we go to the Big 10 and everyone that matters kicks our a$$ all the time.  We blame the Big 10 for poor scheduling and effing us over year after year.  We suck in all male athletics right now.  We are a nobody right now and have been for nearly two decades.  I don't see us getting a great coach to come here.  Frost is done.  He isn't any better than Riley or Callahan were.  I am wondering if thats all on him or if it isn't on the school at this point?  Hired  and fired alot of guys now(assuming that Frost is done after this season) and we keep getting the same result.  Common denominator in this conversation is us and the school.  Its time to let go of the good ol' days and hoping we win 11 games a season again.  Thats clearly behind us.  The whole country can see it, but we can't yet.  Boy I hope I eat crow in a couple of years because of this thread, but I am not seeing this thing ever being a whole lot better.  Might see someone get us to 6-6 or 7-5 maybe, but not going crazy and thinking we will ever go 9-10 wins again.  Something is broken here.  K-State wins most every year, Kansas is getting better, Iowa St is winning games each season, Iowa is always beating our a$$, Mizzou wins in the SEC, but we are in the worst division in college football and can't win 6 games a season!  No matter who the coach is............Yes we lack a good coach.  The common thing for all of these schools is a good coach.  Why can't we find that guy?  Why?  I am afraid that this job is tarnished to a point that if you even are an up and comer, your not coming here at this point. 

We had that guy, his name was Bo Pelini. 

Though I agree with some of what you wrote, I think at this stage most of the fanbase is just looking for a team that can be respectable and be a team that achieves a record above .500. Beat the teams deemed to be notably "weaker," and avoid embarrassing meltdowns of the basics. Sadly, we have struggled with those basics immensely over the past few years and can't seem to find the right buttons to push to play complete on both sides of the ball. It feels as though it's wack-a-mole week to week. Tonight, the offense looked like it finally started to figure things out, while the defense spent 3/4 of the game looking no better than a high school JV team.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

16 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

We had that guy, his name was Bo Pelini. 

Though I agree with some of what you wrote, I think at this stage most of the fanbase is just looking for a team that can be respectable and be a team that achieves a record above .500. Beat the teams deemed to be notably "weaker," and avoid embarrassing meltdowns of the basics. Sadly, we have struggled with those basics immensely over the past few years and can't seem to find the right buttons to push to play complete on both sides of the ball. It feels as though it's wack-a-mole week to week. Tonight, the offense looked like it finally started to figure things out, while the defense spent 3/4 of the game looking no better than a high school JV team.

We are 5-22 in one score games.  We have the players to easily be .500 day one.  We just need the coaching staff.  Be interested how the team would do if Frost was let go and Whip was interim HC/OC and Fisher was moved to DC.  

• Plus1 1
Just now, lo country said:

We are 5-22 in one score games.  We have the players to easily be .500 day one.  We just need the coaching staff.  Be interested how the team would do if Frost was let go and Whip was interim HC/OC and Fisher was moved to DC.  

Agreed, the talent is there. Talent is in the program to win the Big Ten West this year. Also could be the bottom of the division this year. It's a rollercoaster (one very frustrating rollercoaster). 

Though I like Fisher, I haven't been impressed with the secondary this year. If they turn their heads around, they would likely catch several additional interceptions. Instead we face guard a lot and run into Defensive PIs too much. Buford's turn around tonight was perfect, could have had more with Hill & Q doing the same. 

I do think the offense turned a corner today, they looked to be humming for most of the game. Defense was terrible at all levels for most of the game. Sadly, it feels like a boat with a thousands holes, never knowing which hole is going to be the one to sink the ship week to week. 

Looking at how our defense played today, I can honestly say there isn’t a single good thing they did that we can build on. You are playing at home in front of 86000 fans and you have the lead and you cannot stop a non power five team from methodically marching down your home turf and shoving 7 points down your throat. If that is not the definition of pathetic loser, I do not know what is.

This performance is living proof that Chinander has been getting paid to show up to work. Not coach, just show up and pretend to work. Last year, our defense kept us in games. This year our defense has been spotting opponents yards and doing everything in their power to let opponents trash us.

• Fire 2
3 minutes ago, lo country said:

I will respectfully disagree with the talent comments.  If we actually had that elite level talent that so many believe we have, then we woud not have lost so many one score games in the last 5 years.  Even if coaching is that horrible, you sometimes should just out talent teams without the X and O's.  Texas outplayed Bama today, but the talent of Bama over came and won in the end.  I have watched other teams not play well and win because they have difference makers on both sides of the ball.  We don't have difference makers.  We might have some good players, but not one of our players can go out and make a play for us to win the game.  We haven't had that type of since Randy Gregory was on D or even Ameer on offense with Rex.  Those were difference makers.  Taylor Martinez was a difference maker in some ways.  We won games with those kind of players.  We had a decent D, and played ok offense.  Talent does matter more than we are giving it credit.  Its alot kike when Frost arrived and was telling us how far down this program was on talent and size.  I think we are still that team yet.  Pride is also a major factor. 

• Haha 1