Georgia Southern - What did we Learn?

TGHusker

11 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

I will respectfully disagree with the talent comments.  If we actually had that elite level talent that so many believe we have, then we woud not have lost so many one score games in the last 5 years.  Even if coaching is that horrible, you sometimes should just out talent teams without the X and O's.  Texas outplayed Bama today, but the talent of Bama over came and won in the end.  I have watched other teams not play well and win because they have difference makers on both sides of the ball.  We don't have difference makers.  We might have some good players, but not one of our players can go out and make a play for us to win the game.  We haven't had that type of since Randy Gregory was on D or even Ameer on offense with Rex.  Those were difference makers.  Taylor Martinez was a difference maker in some ways.  We won games with those kind of players.  We had a decent D, and played ok offense.  Talent does matter more than we are giving it credit.  Its alot kike when Frost arrived and was telling us how far down this program was on talent and size.  I think we are still that team yet.  Pride is also a major factor. 

I know that Riley's last class (2017) turned out to be a disaster.  As did Frost's 2018 class.  I can't find re-ranked classes save those two.  Riley's class was 70th I believe and Frost's 2018 moved up to 69th.  On paper, we have the star power.  It's not the players.  It's the staff. It took year 5 to actually get a coach that could identify, keep, develop a RB room.  OL coach has been rough for 5 years.  WR coach same thing. Finally, year 5 we are seeing a difference.  The changes to maximize the talent we have came too little too late.  Again, on paper we recruit well above the likes of anyone on the West.  We simply do not have a staff that has maximized or developed said talent.  

Since 2018 the B1G when scoring 28 points are more against other P5 teams they have an 83% winning percentage.  NU sits at 44%.  We have scored enough points.  D, ST and TO's have doomed us.  That's coaching. App St beat the $23 million class of 2022.  Unsure if you have ever been to Boone.  It is a beautiful little NC mountain town.  I love it.  It is not a recruiting mecca.  They are not dropping millions on NIL.  IIRC, they do not have any "blue chip" players. They have a culture.  A definitive system.  A no nonsense coach that preaches accountability. A staff that is passionate.  I do not know if I have ever seen a staff member on the sidelines at NU motivating the players.  Definitely not Frost.214-0 was our home record when scoring 35 points or more.  We lost.  That's undeveloped players.  Poor scheme.  No accountability.  How many years did NU have the same kids making the same stupid mistakes and continue to play...The staff has stunk for quite some time.  Again, anyone not named Frost would've/should've been let go after 2020.  Changes on the staff should have occurred after 2019 for coordinators/position coaches.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Hayseed said:

I just fear that neither of the pass-happy coaches Joseph or Whipple would properly use our biggest weapons, the running backs. Maybe Applewhite should be the interim?

FFS. Nebraska passed the ball 34 times for 318 yards and ran the ball 47 times for 257 yards. Whipple has elevated Grant to a nationally recognized featured back with three 100+ games, promoted the talented Allen over Frost-preferred RBs, and given Thompson more designed running plays. Our running game set up the passing game. Our passing game kept GS from stacking the box against Grant. If you believe in "sticking with what works" that includes our passing game. If you object to specific play-calling in a specific sequence, make sure you check with any coach you'd like Nebraska to hire because there's a good chance he'd call something similar. 

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2
7 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

FFS. Nebraska passed the ball 34 times for 318 yards and ran the ball 47 times for 257 yards. Whipple has elevated Grant to a nationally recognized featured back with three 100+ games, promoted the talented Allen over Frost-preferred RBs, and given Thompson more designed running plays. Our running game set up the passing game. Our passing game kept GS from stacking the box against Grant. If you believe in "sticking with what works" that includes our passing game. If you object to specific play-calling in a specific sequence, make sure you check with any coach you'd like Nebraska to hire because there's a good chance he'd call something similar. 

Well said 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm a run the damn ball guy.  I like what I see.  If our OL can improve, our scheme and play calling would be world beaters. For the first time in a long time we have the ability to get yards on the ground or the air.  And for far too long, stop NU's QB and win the game.  now DC's can't stack the box and dare us to pass.  Or drop 7-8 into coverage and dare us to run. The few designed QB runs, I love.  Much like Clemson w/Trevor Lawrence.  Just enough designed runs/option looks to make DC's account for legs.  I think we are seeing what an offense looks like that has qualified persons in the positions.  Raiola is inexperienced and would not have been my OL pick.  Needed a guy who could teach/develop and just don't see it yet. The others, IMHO, have improved their respective units and overall effectiveness on the offensive side.   

56 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The guy who wore out his welcome at his hometown Youngstown State even faster than at Nebraska? Then got fired from LSU after turning in the worst defensive performance in school history? The guy who is no longer coaching anything anywhere?

If Nebraska made a mistake firing Bo, seems like none of the above would be true. 

You’re using revisionist history to taint what he did while he was coach here. Bo was set up to fail by Eichorst & Perlman and yet he still found ways to win consistently. Remember how grudgingly Eichorst said Bo’s contract was extended by a year after his second to last year? Can’t imagine how those recruiting calls went over during that time period. 

While Pelini was no Nick Saban or Kirby Smart, he was far better than some of our fans will ever give him credit for. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, irafreak said:

Why? Why do you fear anything at this point? Every single kid could transfer out and we field a completely new team with a new coach and what....we don't win 1 game? He'll I don't see how we win more than 1 this year.

What's the difference. Blow it all up and we can't do much worse. I'd argue that it may be easier to start with all new players that don't have years of a losing mentality. 

I wrote this before Frost was fired. You’re right. It doesn’t matter now as we are starting from scratch once again. 

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

It's appropriate it ended on a missed field goal.

Agreed. And if they hadn't committed that offensive penalty with a couple seconds left in the first half we would have been down by more than 3 at that point, probably.

I wanted to see Thompson in overtime to see what he could do. Oh well.

This is what the Twilight Zone feels like.