Georgia Southern - What did we Learn?

TGHusker

Yep. Like most everyone else believes, this loss sealed his fate. A few thoughts:

• Frost essentially Callahan-ed himself. His inability to separate Chinander cost him his dream job.
  • I love Frost as an OC. He may not be able manage a game or hire the appropriate staff, but his offense rocks!
  • Assuming Joseph is named interim HC after Oct 1, his first order of business should send Chinander packing. In my blue heaven, Frost would be retained/demoted to OC or co-OC. (yes, i know that won't actually happen)
  • Plus1 3

Just now, hskrpwr13 said:

Yep. Like most everyone else believes, this loss sealed his fate. A few thoughts:

• Frost essentially Callahan-ed himself. His inability to separate Chinander cost him his dream job.
  • I love Frost as an OC. He may not be able manage a game or hire the appropriate staff, but his offense rocks!
  • Assuming Joseph is named interim HC after Oct 1, his first order of business should send Chinander packing. In my blue heaven, Frost would be retained/demoted to OC or co-OC. (yes, i know that won't actually happen)

Iowa should hire him honestly to be OC.

• Oh Yeah! 1
1 minute ago, hskrpwr13 said:

Mickey wont be interim HC. You need to get Frost as far away from this program as possible. 

2 minutes ago, hskrpwr13 said:

It definitely wasn't good. Unsure if I'm surprised that our D staff didn't try someone else on that receiver. Got picked on all night. 

Every time something bad happened on pass defense, it was him. At least two flags, a dropped INT and some very poor plays on the ball.

Tommi Hill? Amazing how reliant you become on having names on the backs of jerseys.

• Plus1 1

We have proclaimed to have this elite level talent now for 20 years.  It was all coaching for why we have lost or were losing.  It is time to quit thinking that way.  We do not have elite talent on this roster and haven't for a long time now.  For sure, you all watch Bama, Georgia, USC, and others play ball?  Do we have linebackers, lines, Db's, or QB's like those teams do?  Hell, do you see any Jared Cricks, Randy Gregory's or TMarts on this team?  Ameer's or Rex's?  Suh's? 

NO we don't have those players.  We don't have great talent.  What everyone looks at is skill players.  We have some skill players, but not enough.  We don't have lines on either side of the ball.  Talent.  That is the most important talent you can have, and we don't have that talent and we havent for a long time.  Sure coaching is the main focus and issue.  Callahan brought in some Top 10 recruiting classes, won 8 games with it because we just had better atheletes.  It takes talent more than coaching against most of our competition.  Those teams that beat us last year in one score games, all had key players step up and beat us because they were better than most of our roster.

• Haha 1
46 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Tired of all the blaming.  We have now hired and fired so many coaches who we deemed as idiots, and some were, but I am wondering who is laughing more right now.............those guys or us.  We blamed the Big 12 and Texas for us losing, we go to the Big 10 and everyone that matters kicks our a$$ all the time.  We blame the Big 10 for poor scheduling and effing us over year after year.  We suck in all male athletics right now.  We are a nobody right now and have been for nearly two decades.  I don't see us getting a great coach to come here.  Frost is done.  He isn't any better than Riley or Callahan were.  I am wondering if thats all on him or if it isn't on the school at this point?  Hired  and fired alot of guys now(assuming that Frost is done after this season) and we keep getting the same result.  Common denominator in this conversation is us and the school.  Its time to let go of the good ol' days and hoping we win 11 games a season again.  Thats clearly behind us.  The whole country can see it, but we can't yet.  Boy I hope I eat crow in a couple of years because of this thread, but I am not seeing this thing ever being a whole lot better.  Might see someone get us to 6-6 or 7-5 maybe, but not going crazy and thinking we will ever go 9-10 wins again.  Something is broken here.  K-State wins most every year, Kansas is getting better, Iowa St is winning games each season, Iowa is always beating our a$$, Mizzou wins in the SEC, but we are in the worst division in college football and can't win 6 games a season!  No matter who the coach is............Yes we lack a good coach.  The common thing for all of these schools is a good coach.  Why can't we find that guy?  Why?  I am afraid that this job is tarnished to a point that if you even are an up and comer, your not coming here at this point. 

Look at it this way.  When was the last time Nebraska had a good, competent AD?  TO was a stop gap, so he doesn’t count.  Plus, he’s a coach, not a true AD and his hires generally didn’t pan out either.  

Here’s to hoping  that getting Trev here will end 20 years of piss-poor leadership in the AD position.  

• Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

We have proclaimed to have this elite level talent now for 20 years.  It was all coaching for why we have lost or were losing.  It is time to quit thinking that way.  We do not have elite talent on this roster and haven't for a long time now.  For sure, you all watch Bama, Georgia, USC, and others play ball?  Do we have linebackers, lines, Db's, or QB's like those teams do?  Hell, do you see any Jared Cricks, Randy Gregory's or TMarts on this team?  Ameer's or Rex's?  Suh's? 

NO we don't have those players.  We don't have great talent.  What everyone looks at is skill players.  We have some skill players, but not enough.  We don't have lines on either side of the ball.  Talent.  That is the most important talent you can have, and we don't have that talent and we havent for a long time.  Sure coaching is the main focus and issue.  Callahan brought in some Top 10 recruiting classes, won 8 games with it because we just had better atheletes.  It takes talent more than coaching against most of our competition.  Those teams that beat us last year in one score games, all had key players step up and beat us because they were better than most of our roster.

Who is "we"? The recruiting rankings present that DONU consistently recruits the best collection of talent in the West division. I don't read or hear anyone claiming we have playoff talent.

1 hour ago, Nebhawk said:

Our image nationally is way worse than we think.  Fan base included.  We  are not a power on or off the field anymore.  WE will have earn position in the peckng order again.  No one is going to give us anything until we earn something.  Throw all the money in the world at Urban or Stoops, they are not coming here right now.  This job requires alot of work and time hitting the recruiting trails.  Offer them alot of money, offer them what ever they want, but this job is tougher now than ever.  Notre Dame losing today keeps that door open.  They won't wait and see what happens.  If they lose another game or two, Urban will go there next season.  Stoops is not interested in coaching college football again.  Better be happy if we could get Leipold, Klieman, or O'Brien to even listen to an offer.  I think we are further away than ever. 

Truth be told.  We have tried to get bigger names, and have failed.  We have offered to big time guys, and been shunned.  Why did we end up with Callahan?  Pelini? Riley?  Frost is the only guy who wanted this job and it may have cost him a career.   He won games at UCF.  He turned around a program.  He did it with his guys coaching.  Most of them were forced out of here by our leaders or fan base.  We like to beat on him for hiring his buddies, but from what I am seeing his buddies were better coaches than what he replaced them with.  Really, think about it.  At least we won 4 games in one season with Frost's buddies.  No one see's this job as a great one, even assistant coaching positions.  We are not getting elite talent from any angle.  Coaches or players. 

I don’t think we should care at all what the image is right now. 
a lady who needs cpr doesn’t care about a random hand on her chest. 

I learned that hope is hollow and meaningless.  

I learned that this entire season has already been thrown into the toilet and flushed.  

I learned next week's game against Oklahoma will be a token affair.  They could sit their starters, play their backups, and coast to the win.  It will be Frost's swan song.  There will be hugs and handshakes.  There will be speeches about how much respect he has for his players and staff, etc, etc.  But ultimately, it will be a loss.  Depending upon how badly Oklahoma feels the need, I'm sure they'll hang over 60 points on us.  It'll be an embarrassing mess.  

I learned our offense is awesome and today they ran on all cylinders, which makes today's loss even sadder.  This season could have been so much fun to watch with an offense like that.