Georgia Southern - What did we Learn?

TGHusker

This team is not anywhere ‘close’.  That whole notion is nothing but a mirage - like the Empower’s new clothes.  NU is but a dropped pass or two from being 0-3 vs what could well be the easiest 3 games (opponents) in a decade.  

Sadly, an interim HC will have an almost impossible task of saving or salvaging any of the remaining season / games.  What ails this team is fundamentals and basic football skills stuff.  This is not minor tweaks or ‘fixes’.  The defense SHOULD have been 3-0 thus far.  The concern was getting the offense to come together enough to find 6-8 wins whilst dealing with a very weak O line.   They don’t block and tackle, line up and or align themselves correctly.  The defense appears lost, confused, unable to adjust, etc. 

The offense is getting better. We had a number of solid sustained drives. A few too many penalties team overcame them.  But, these are against bottom feeder opponents.  

The STs is not great but better.  Reflecting a better coaching approach.  FG kicking is now about 2/6 roughly.  

The defense is just awful, inexplicably so.  We were told the defense got the better of it practices.  At this point, I don’t believe that.  I’d guess it’s all the ‘touch’ / flag football they practice.  

• Plus1 1

50 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

This team is not anywhere ‘close’.  That whole notion is nothing but a mirage - like the Empower’s new clothes.  NU is but a dropped pass or two from being 0-3 vs what could well be the easiest 3 games (opponents) in a decade.  

Sadly, an interim HC will have an almost impossible task of saving or salvaging any of the remaining season / games.  What ails this team is fundamentals and basic football skills stuff.  This is not minor tweaks or ‘fixes’.  The defense SHOULD have been 3-0 thus far.  The concern was getting the offense to come together enough to find 6-8 wins whilst dealing with a very weak O line.   They don’t block and tackle, line up and or align themselves correctly.  The defense appears lost, confused, unable to adjust, etc. 

The offense is getting better. We had a number of solid sustained drives. A few too many penalties team overcame them.  But, these are against bottom feeder opponents.  

The STs is not great but better.  Reflecting a better coaching approach.  FG kicking is now about 2/6 roughly.  

The defense is just awful, inexplicably so.  We were told the defense got the better of it practices.  At this point, I don’t believe that.  I’d guess it’s all the ‘touch’ / flag football they practice.  

NU is also a dropped pass or INT from 3-0.  Scott can't get it done in close games after 5 years, so he needs to go, but last year's defense with this year's offense is likely 3-0. 

He's never had the assistants that can coach a 2 star into a 4 star like an Iowa or Wisconsin. Scott is also an awful game manager from his onside kicks to his timeouts before half when he knows his D is struggling.  Perhaps, it is best that we lost since we may have been stuck around the 6 win mark each season for the rest of Scott's tenure.  It is too bad he didn't try to make major changes earlier, but his whole the Big 10 needs to adjust to us, not us adjust to them was always doomed to fail.

• Haha 1

This feels intentional. Unnecessary onside kick, last week a squib kick. Yesterday, a defensive scheme which seemed set up to fail. How do you leave a center and basically guards uncovered? Reimers cant tackle in space. This isnt passing the smell test. Frost and his boy Chins need to go. 

8 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

Tired of all the blaming.  We have now hired and fired so many coaches who we deemed as idiots, and some were, but I am wondering who is laughing more right now.............those guys or us.  We blamed the Big 12 and Texas for us losing, we go to the Big 10 and everyone that matters kicks our a$$ all the time.  We blame the Big 10 for poor scheduling and effing us over year after year.  We suck in all male athletics right now.  We are a nobody right now and have been for nearly two decades.  I don't see us getting a great coach to come here.  Frost is done.  He isn't any better than Riley or Callahan were.  I am wondering if thats all on him or if it isn't on the school at this point?  Hired  and fired alot of guys now(assuming that Frost is done after this season) and we keep getting the same result.  Common denominator in this conversation is us and the school.  Its time to let go of the good ol' days and hoping we win 11 games a season again.  Thats clearly behind us.  The whole country can see it, but we can't yet.  Boy I hope I eat crow in a couple of years because of this thread, but I am not seeing this thing ever being a whole lot better.  Might see someone get us to 6-6 or 7-5 maybe, but not going crazy and thinking we will ever go 9-10 wins again.  Something is broken here.  K-State wins most every year, Kansas is getting better, Iowa St is winning games each season, Iowa is always beating our a$$, Mizzou wins in the SEC, but we are in the worst division in college football and can't win 6 games a season!  No matter who the coach is............Yes we lack a good coach.  The common thing for all of these schools is a good coach.  Why can't we find that guy?  Why?  I am afraid that this job is tarnished to a point that if you even are an up and comer, your not coming here at this point. 

I can't remember what coach our commenter said it, but it went something like this, "Nebraska struggles to win games, because Nebraska expects to win games."

That is paraphrased, but I think there is truth to it.  The schools you mentioned (KSU, Iowa State, Iowa, etc) know that winning requires a whole lot of effort.  And for players to give that effort, they need to know that they need to work longer, harder, faster than the other teams if they want to win.  I think NU is a great job for any coach, but I also think because it is such a great job that players feel entitled and that winning just depends on who the coach is and whatever effort the players give should be "good enough".

Does that make sense?

I feel like I'm rambling...

Frost tells fans, and his players, that "the talent is there, we just need to execute"

Pelini said it too.

Callahan said it...

Riley probably made a comment like that also.

That doesn't make players hungry.  It allows the players to make excuses.  IMO.

9 hours ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Just reaffirmed what we already knew. When NU faces a team with a quality coach we are going to lose a one score game. See Fitzgerald. See Helton.

Clay Helton is a good coach who came in with a great game plan and was able to get his guys to execute it perfectly.

Honestly, Georgia Southern deserved that win more than NU.

He coached his players an more importantly motivated his players.   They were flying around the field. Looked like stronger and faster athletes and that is not what I supposed to happen vs a power 5 team

44 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Frost tells fans, and his players, that "the talent is there, we just need to execute"

Pelini said it too.

Callahan said it...

How so?   If the coach tells you that you have the talent, you just need to do the correct things, isn’t that taking excuses away?  

Pull your head out of your a$$. 

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

How so?   If the coach tells you that you have the talent, you just need to do the correct things, isn’t that taking excuses away?  

Pull your head out of your a$$. 

Okay, wow...

My point is that if players are continually told they are good enough, they might think it's an easy fix.  Just fix execution.

Meanwhile, all these "small" schools (at least the ones NU fans look down upon) are playing with a chip on their shoulders and going above and beyond in effort AND execution.

I know I'm not a wordsmith, but not sure why what I said was so complicated.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
8 minutes ago, huskered17 said:

If they beat Okl next week, will that keep Frost here for the rest of the season ?

If Frost gets this team to a bowl game, will that get him another year ?

I doubt that any of this will probably happen, but what if........

GBR!!!

Probably yes to both, but we know that isn't happening.   Even if they upset a ranked team, there is no way they get to 6 wins now. 

Without the Oklahoma upset, they need to dump him after the Indiana game.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Okay, wow...

My point is that if players are continually told they are good enough, they might think it's an easy fix.  Just fix execution.

Meanwhile, all these "small" schools (at least the ones NU fans look down upon) are playing with a chip on their shoulders and going above and beyond in effort AND execution.

That last statement was to the players. Not you. 

• Plus1 3

54 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I can't remember what coach our commenter said it, but it went something like this, "Nebraska struggles to win games, because Nebraska expects to win games."

That is paraphrased, but I think there is truth to it.  The schools you mentioned (KSU, Iowa State, Iowa, etc) know that winning requires a whole lot of effort.  And for players to give that effort, they need to know that they need to work longer, harder, faster than the other teams if they want to win.  I think NU is a great job for any coach, but I also think because it is such a great job that players feel entitled and that winning just depends on who the coach is and whatever effort the players give should be "good enough".

Does that make sense?

I feel like I'm rambling...

Pelini said it too.

Callahan said it...

I have never understood Frost’s “No fear of failure” culture is at the very heart of some of it.   One thing you can say confidently about all 5 of Frost’s teams is they don’t fear failure.  As matter of fact, they seem to enjoy it as it’s practically a habit.  They find new ways to fail weekly.  Just baffling honestly. 

For the third week in a row I learned that we are worse than I thought. But mainly I learned that I’ve seen too much of this over the last few years I just couldn’t mentally sit through another one. The way they were scoring at will was demoralizing the team and I knew it would eventually be too much to overcome. It was predictable what was going to transpire so I left before half time. Only the second time I remember leaving a game early, the other time being in Riley’s last season when Ohio State beat the pants off of us.

8 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Okay, wow...

But, if the coach tells you, you have the talent, shouldn’t that tell the player that talent is not a valid excuse, you have the ability, now execute what you’re supposed to do.  

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

But, if the coach tells you, you have the talent, shouldn’t that tell the player that talent is not a valid excuse, you have the ability, now execute what you’re supposed to do.  

We always complain about "development".

Why would a player work to "develop" if they are told they are already good enough?

A player should be much better their senior year compared to freshman.  If a freshman is told "you are good enough, you just need to execute", is that player going to bust his a$$ in the offseason to get bigger stronger faster?

Maybe sometimes...

• Haha 1