New coach should keep Joseph and Applewhite

2 hours ago, Touchdown Tommie said:

Keeping MJ is must in my opinion. Applewhite has done a great job with the RB room. Any coach that was on Frost's staff can kick rocks for all I am concerned. They helped create this s#!t show we are currently in. 

MJ or Applewhite may not fit what the new coach wants.  They may have someone better they can hire.  Suggesting they must keep someone is just silly.  If it works great, but we need a fresh start. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Does anyone really think MJ is going to be ok with taking an assistant coaching role here after being turned down for the HC?

I strongly doubt anyone from the current staff is still around come spring.

Yep...unless he was buddies or something like that, with the new hire, but I think all these guys are gone.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Does anyone really think MJ is going to be ok with taking an assistant coaching role here after being turned down for the HC?

You're probably right. I think it's unusual for an interim coach to remain on staff after being passed over for the head coach position. Only one that immediately comes to mind is Luke Fickell. 

Why wouldn't Joseph stay? He's made it clear that he loves Nebraska. If he doesn't get the HC job here, is he really going to get a HC offer somewhere else? He doesn't strike me as the type to take a lateral move (WR coach elsewhere) unless it was back to LSU or something which seems very unlikely.

I'm sure it depends on who gets hired, if it's an offensive guy that wants his guys as assistants that's one thing. But most coaches assembling a new staff would have MJ high on their list of candidates for WR coach or even OC, so I don't think it's crazy that he could not get the HC job but still stick around. Wouldn't be surprised either way though.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I think that depends on how well NU does the rest of the season.  If NU goes 4-4 in the remaining games, and Joseph has a compelling argument for the full-time job, he might be upset and leave.  Or if the team continues the struggle and it's obvious that a new voice needs to be brought in to lead the team, Joseph may want to stick around to help lead his alma mater back to prominence.  I don't think Joseph has the ego of "if I am not the head coach, I don't want to stick around".  After being in Louisiana for so long, Joseph might enjoy being in Nebraska and being the Assistant Head Coach and primary recruiter for the team may be exactly what he wants going forward.

3 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Why wouldn't Joseph stay? He's made it clear that he loves Nebraska. If he doesn't get the HC job here, is he really going to get a HC offer somewhere else? He doesn't strike me as the type to take a lateral move (WR coach elsewhere) unless it was back to LSU or something which seems very unlikely.

I'm sure it depends on who gets hired, if it's an offensive guy that wants his guys as assistants that's one thing. But most coaches assembling a new staff would have MJ high on their list of candidates for WR coach or even OC, so I don't think it's crazy that he could not get the HC job but still stick around. Wouldn't be surprised either way though.

Maybe...but we like MJ because we "know" him and he is a Husker...

New coach coming in may have almost no idea who MJ is, maybe none at all.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Husker in WI said:

MJ could get a HC offer from FCS or G5 school, but he'll have a LOT of offers as WR/Recruiting Coordinator and probably some OC offers as well. And while he might love NU, he also has a family who may or may not want to live in Nebraska. MJ clearly wants the HC job at Nebraska and like most of us, will probably see it as a slap in the face to be turned down and then offered a lesser role.

7 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Who knows what MJ’s aspirations are going to be come December.   To me he seems more likely to enjoy being out recruiting than dealing with Head Coaching duties.  Plus  if he only wins 1-2 more games, who’s going to hire him as a HC?  If he does well and Trev hires someone else, I can see him bolting for a HC gig if one was offered.  I don’t see him voluntarily leaving NU for another assistant job.  

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think that depends on how well NU does the rest of the season.  If NU goes 4-4 in the remaining games, and Joseph has a compelling argument for the full-time job, he might be upset and leave.  Or if the team continues the struggle and it's obvious that a new voice needs to be brought in to lead the team, Joseph may want to stick around to help lead his alma mater back to prominence.  I don't think Joseph has the ego of "if I am not the head coach, I don't want to stick around".  After being in Louisiana for so long, Joseph might enjoy being in Nebraska and being the Assistant Head Coach and primary recruiter for the team may be exactly what he wants going forward.

I agree that it depends a lot on what happens. But IMO there's a better chance MJ is the HC than that he's around as an assistant next year.

Just now, RedDenver said:

I hope you're right since MJ appears to be a good coach and recruiter and probably helps keep the recruiting class from falling apart as much. I just don't think it's likely.

I think Trev was a big reason Mickey came back to NU to be an assistant this year in the first place, and Trev has been pretty open and honest with Mickey about the head coaching hiring process and Mickey's overall candidacy.  Mickey is only a legitimate candidate for the job because he's the interim head coach.  He wouldn't have been a candidate for the head coaching job if Frost had been fired.  I think a lot will depend on who the next head coach is, but if there is mutual interest from Joseph, the next head coach, and Alberts, I see no reason why Mickey wouldn't be retained.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think Trev was a big reason Mickey came back to NU to be an assistant this year in the first place, and Trev has been pretty open and honest with Mickey about the head coaching hiring process and Mickey's overall candidacy.  Mickey is only a legitimate candidate for the job because he's the interim head coach.  He wouldn't have been a candidate for the head coaching job if Frost had been fired.  I think a lot will depend on who the next head coach is, but if there is mutual interest from Joseph, the next head coach, and Alberts, I see no reason why Mickey wouldn't be retained.

I agree.  But, ultimately, it needs to be the new HC's decision.  He needs to have the staff he wants.

This is one of the reasons why I hate coaching changes.  They have to happen and I support Frost being let go.  But, there's always someone like a player or assistant coach that you want to keep.  Many times you just don't.  But, you have to move on and hope the new staff is much better as a whole and the new players they bring in are better than the ones that leave.

• Plus1 2